David Gill was a bigger loss than Sir Alex Ferguson

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I don't know if I like you or not. Haven't seen your username OP. But WTF.

Dr. StrangeHate

Well David Gill wouldn't have hired Ole or would have fired him by now as he had standards. So I agree Woodward is a cancer.

Aouer-United

David Gill wasn't a hero. He was really underperforming as CEO, especially on off pitches, he didn't invest in our scouting system that was basically very old and outdated, like the 90s. Our academy was underperforming and is in need of investment for years so many parents took their kids to Man City because they offer a better choice for their kids. When Moye first joined United as a manager, he found out there was no accessible database of potential players and they don't have a scouting network system for like this in place.

We missed out on Hazard, Silva, Aguero, and many other players because he refuses to pay agent few millions fee for these players.

Only the difference his work didn't get highlighted because of Fergie winning league and trophies it distracts everyone from looking at his work, he was a lazy bastard. When Fergie left, our squad were exposed and is in mess. Gill left at the same time, it was smart for him so he doesn't get blames for it.

I don't like Woodward as much as everyone but Gill was much worse. I don't understand how everyone believes he was the reason why we're good in the 2000s, it's all Peter Kenyon's work for us and he was the reason why Chelsea got many great players, they were on our targets like of Robben, Drogba, Lampard, etc Chelsea got all of them and started their dominance.

Bojan11

How so? Woodward under Fergie and we would have been the same. Gill was another Glazer man.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Didn't SAF once say David Gill was the most competent person he's ever worked with? High praise from the great man.

stevoc

Had Woodward took over in say 2007 and had a few years working with Ferguson some people would have thought he was brilliant as they do Gill. Theres also no real evidence to suggest Gill wouldn't have struggled after Ferguson retired just as Woodward has.

It's easy to be CEO when you've got the best manager of all time working under you. Gill never had to work with another manager or even hire one.

el3mel

Well no he wasn't. Remember Hazard ? Woodward being crap doesn't mean Gill was great in his last few years.

SAF was the only loss we had and it was a huge one. He was the reason we were relevant in his last few years.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Best thing he did was let Fergie do whatever he wanted. That's about it

OverratedOpinion

David Gill made a career riding Sir Alex's coattails.

He is probably more knowledgeable than Woodward about football so he may have made better appointments and helped put a slightly improved infrastructure in place but we would probably be at roughly the same stage we are now due to lack of investment.

Sir Alex was the best manager of all time and the greatest loss any club has had in modern football.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I remember watching Gill on the stands next to Fergie and thinking his style of football would be probably far better than Fergie's. Why didn't Ole ask him for tactical advice, and not Fergie?