David Luiz

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's amazing how people believe the lowest number reported for their team and highest for other teams.

Werner is reportedly earning 270k per week as per German media. Also Werner must have a shit agent not to get signing on fee, agent fee especially for a player will fixed release clause
Ah crap, I flubbed it - was looking at net salary for Werner and pre-tax for Luiz. Werner is on £14m per year pre-tax (including his signing bonus amortised).

I didn't see anyone using Kante was signed for 100 million including his agent fee, wages, new contract.
Perhaps I explained this poorly - it's because when a player signs a multi-year deal all of the fees associated with the transfer are amortised over the length of the contract. Because Luiz signed a 1 year deal (with an option) initially, there's no amortisation and thus it's far more germane to include all the agent fees and whatnot when discussing his annual cost. Obviously now that Arsenal have taken up the option it looks a bit less egregious, but I just took issue with the notion that he's a bargain.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Luiz and Mustafi look brilliant in park the bus tactics and like charlatans when playing a high line. Not a coincidence.
Yeah certain defenders are just better suited to different tactics. Very few defenders are going to be comfortable defending high lines 1v1 with vast open spaces to cover. It’s why those defenders that can are such a rarity especially in the modern age. People point to there being less great defenders around these days but there are requirements placed on them now that weren’t all that present even 10-15 years ago.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ah crap, I flubbed it - was looking at net salary for Werner and pre-tax for Luiz. Werner is on £14m per year pre-tax (including his signing bonus amortised).

Perhaps I explained this poorly - it's because when a player signs a multi-year deal all of the fees associated with the transfer are amortised over the length of the contract. Because Luiz signed a 1 year deal (with an option) initially, there's no amortisation and thus it's far more germane to include all the agent fees and whatnot when discussing his annual cost. Obviously now that Arsenal have taken up the option it looks a bit less egregious, but I just took issue with the notion that he's a bargain.
I agree with the concept of using cost per year, but that should be applied uniformly imo. Not as and when needed.

I agree with the general point btw. I don't think Luiz is bargain deal at all.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with the concept of using cost per year, but that should be applied uniformly imo. Not as and when needed.

I agree with the general point btw. I don't think Luiz is bargain deal at all.
I agree; it'd be far more clear if total costs per year were used more uniformly. Hell, or even annualized contracts; I still find it odd that wages are reported on a per week basis as opposed to yearly as in America.

I suppose the reason I wanted to point it out in this case was I can't recall off the top of my head the last player to transfer to a new club and only sign a 1 year deal - obviously there's far more sticker shock when all the fees are accounted for immediately.

hmchan

Who denied it? Would be surprised if anyone is better connected at Arsenal than Amy Lawrence and she's the one who reported it initially.
The reported 24m deal includes a 8m transfer fee + 6m agent fee + 10m salary. The agent fee is denied by his agent and the 10m (~190k-per-week) salary is significantly different from the 120k-per-week which is generally reported. I understand why you want to include his contract in the discussion but to me 8m transfer fee + 120k-per-week for Luiz is already a bargain, and the fact that he has extended his contract makes the deal look even better.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I agree; it'd be far more clear if total costs per year were used more uniformly. Hell, or even annualized contracts; I still find it odd that wages are reported on a per week basis as opposed to yearly as in America.

I suppose the reason I wanted to point it out in this case was I can't recall off the top of my head the last player to transfer to a new club and only sign a 1 year deal - obviously there's far more sticker shock when all the fees are accounted for immediately.
I have never seen this kind of deal, for a free transfer yes, but when you pay transfer fee you usually give at least 2 years and also some option to extend deal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The reported 24m deal includes a 8m transfer fee + 6m agent fee + 10m salary. The agent fee is denied by his agent and the 10m (~190k-per-week) salary is significantly different from the 120k-per-week which is generally reported. I understand why you want to include his contract in the discussion but to me 8m transfer fee + 120k-per-week for Luiz is already a bargain, and the fact that he has extended his contract makes the deal look even better.
120k per week is net, 190k per week (aka 10m per year) is pre-tax. Also, of course Joorabchian is gonna deny that; I'd absolutely trust Amy Lawrence over him