David Luiz

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He has all the attributes as a good DM. Passing, defending, energy, and a bit of skill to carry the ball forward. Why not just use him there?

RyRoc

He's been nowhere near as bad as some are saying he's been. It's been typical David Luiz - he's been excellent in some games and absolute trash in others , he very rarely just has a solid 7/10 game which is why he's talked about so much.

Aboutreika18

Fair! I just remember him looking completely lost - seemed clueless as to whether to come out and press Hulk further up or stay in line
Should not be such a bad thing for him because David Luíz was used as left back in youth teams because of his speed and skill.
The idea of Jorge Jesus was good on paper: Hulk is a player that relied on speed and power, and Luíz had the pace and the physical strength to deal with him. Citing those sensationalist documentaries: "No one was prepared for what will happen next." :D
Yeah and also given Hulk's tendency to cut inside all the time, which would have potentially covered with a right footed CB at LB. But David Luiz has never had the concentration levels, nor the defensive nous to be used as a man marker.

Poor Jorge Jesus put too much faith in him that day. :D

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's amazing how infrequently he's been sent off as well.
But then straight off the bat I remember him repeatedly clattering Rooney one game at their place and getting away with it. Some players have that gift. Fernandinho another great example.
Yes! can never forget this one as well.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
He has all the attributes as a good DM. Passing, defending, energy, and a bit of skill to carry the ball forward. Why not just use him there?
I’m not sure why this notion keeps getting peddled. One of the key attributes of being a DM is to have positional awareness and discipline, you can‘t be roaming 50 yards out of your position just because you feel like it. This is one of Luiz’s biggest weaknesses in my opinion. I think he’d be a disaster there, likely get in the way of other midfielders and not provide the defensive cover he’d need to.

LVGSdive

I thought this myself. Maybe even as a traditional midfielder. Make the most of his positive attributes.

TheLord

He is one of Chelsea's greatest servants - in so many senses.

Bought by Chelsea in 2011 and helped them win the Champions League.

Sold to PSG in 2014 for £50, which was the world-record fee for a defender (daylight robbery)

Bought by Chelsea again in 2016 for a measly sum. Helped them win the Europa League.

Sold to a traditional rival, and he destroyed their chances of even finishing in the Europa League places. Well played, Chelsea.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He's 33 and fecking shite. Surely there's some youth player who deserves any minutes they're going to give Luiz.

But if they want to keep using his comedy stylings, who am I to judge?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Mari is fine, 4 years for Cedric seems excessive and can't see how he could have any leverage? Should have given him a 2+1 club option or tell him to do one.
Luiz, well... :(

siw2007

If true, I really don't get it. He has never learned, he lets his team down time and time again and will continue to let Arsenal down.

The only thing I can think of is that they are desperate for numbers and they can't afford to go into the market and buy a good defender.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There is nothing positive about keeping Luiz. Even if you made the argument about experience, is that seriously the sort of experience you want to impart on up and coming defenders??

This all just highlights how little Arsenal intend on doing in the summer window.

Red Keane

There is nothing positive about keeping Luiz. Even if you made the argument about experience, is that seriously the sort of experience you want to impart on up and coming defenders??
If they want to add experience to the team, Arteta should be looking to add the likes of Adams, Viera and others from both the Wenger & Graham eras to his coaching staff (1) to teach the younger players about leadership & fighting for the badge. That more than anything would help improve Arsenal's fortunes than any signing Arsenal will likely make next transfer window.

(1) Both of them (in their early days) where more than happy to get rid of the older, more established players in favour of younger potential talents who would do a better job than those they replaced. Perhaps Arteta should start adopting that policy.

Red Keane

He's 33 and fecking shite. Surely there's some youth player who deserves any minutes they're going to give Luiz.
Zack Medley is their best CB among the youth ranks; its pretty crimminal that while Mustafi & Luiz get chance after chance to mess up on a consistant basis (While Sokratis, Mari & Chambers are all suffering from injury issues), Medley still has yet to be given a chance (1) in the first team. Likewise Mavropanos (without a doubt their best young CB talent) has hardly got any game time under Wenger, Emery & now Arteta.

(1) Moreso considering that England are not exactly blessed with CB talent at a youth level.

If true, I really don't get it. He has never learned, he lets his team down time and time again and will continue to let Arsenal down.
Just like he has let down Chelsea, PSG & Brazil down on multiple ocassions.

IThe only thing I can think of is that they are desperate for numbers and they can't afford to go into the market and buy a good defender.
They might as well promote Medley & Mavropanos to the first team, mainly because it would be both cheaper & better for the club than keeping Luiz & Mustafi next season.

If they want to bring an experienced defender to join their ranks, they might as well get Thiago Silva on a free. Which would be better than extending Luiz's contract and not selling Mustafi.

This all just highlights how little Arsenal intend on doing in the summer window.
I suggest Arteta ring up Mourinho on how to get himself sacked. Simply because the longer he stays up there, the greater the damage to his managerial career.

Reactions: van der star

gza the genius

The only thing I can think of is that they couldn't get him to agree to just extend through until the end of this season? If that wasn't the case they must just be extremely desperate.

siw2007

Zack Medley is their best CB among the youth ranks; its pretty crimminal that while Mustafi & Luiz get chance after chance to mess up on a consistant basis (While Sokratis, Mari & Chambers are all suffering from injury issues), Medley still has yet to be given a chance (1) in the first team. Likewise Mavropanos (without a doubt their best young CB talent) has hardly got any game time under Wenger, Emery & now Arteta.

(1) Moreso considering that England are not exactly blessed with CB talent at a youth level.

Just like he has let down Chelsea, PSG & Brazil down on multiple ocassions.

They might as well promote Medley & Mavropanos to the first team, mainly because it would be both cheaper & better for the club than keeping Luiz & Mustafi next season.

If they want to bring an experienced defender to join their ranks, they might as well get Thiago Silva on a free. Which would be better than extending Luiz's contract and not selling Mustafi.

I suggest Arteta ring up Mourinho on how to get himself sacked. Simply because the longer he stays up there, the greater the damage to his managerial career.
Just goes to show how badly run Arsenal have become, making bad decisions becomes a disease and they are riddled with it. This job is going to become if not already a nightmare for Arteta.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't understand this view. He is prone to making mistakes and is tactically poor. Those responsibilities are not diminished at DM.

hmchan

To not make mistakes that lead to goals every game?
Statistically David Luiz has only made 2 errors leading to goals this season. Yes he does make horrendous, laughable mistakes occassionally, but he also has plenty of solid games which gone unnoticed. When he doesn't commit silly errors, he has a much better overall performance than many average defenders in the league and he is also good on the ball. 8m is a bargain for clubs like Arsenal and you can't even buy a youngster with that kind of money nowadays.

Djemba-Djemba

Statistically David Luiz has only made 2 errors leading to goals this season. Yes he does make horrendous, laughable mistakes occassionally, but he also has plenty of solid games which gone unnoticed. When he doesn't commit silly errors, he has a much better overall performance than many average defenders in the league and he is also good on the ball. 8m is a bargain for clubs like Arsenal and you can't even buy a youngster with that kind of money nowadays.
He's averaged giving away a penalty every 6 games since he joined Arsenal.

He's fecking awful.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Glorious timing of announcing this straight after that absolutely dreadful performance.
Amazing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Don't understand this view. He is prone to making mistakes and is tactically poor. Those responsibilities are not diminished at DM.
He's prone to mistake as CB. Tactically poor? I don't understand how you know this.