David Neres linked to United by Daily Mail

Acole9

Outstanding
I've seen this mentioned in the Kluivert thread too, people can't keep comparing every wide/forward player that plays in the Dutch league to Depay. There have been plenty of successful Dutch players in the Premier League, there have been duffers too (Other than Depay) but that doesn't mean to say every player will be bad.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Seems a tad one dimensional. Runs down the wing, cuts back on his left, repeat.

Gopher Brown

Link to article -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Manchester-United-Brazilian-David-Neres.html

Not the best of Sources but it would be a great purchase, Very exciting young player,in a position we need and a player with huge huge potential. Has been tearing it up in the dutch league recently . He has 19 goals and assists in 1149 minutes , that is one goal or assist every 60 mins and this is his first real season in europe. Somethings in this video remind me of cristiano in his debut season for us. There was no real thread on him so decided to make this one.
If that is his ‘highlights’ reel then he’s exactly the opposite of what we need - a lightweight, flashy diver who has no crossing ability whatsoever. Was there even a single cross in that video?

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
this thread being so negative is a mystery to me. As much as I enjoy Kluivert, Neres is a level above at this point in literally all facets of the game.

Neres has an incredible first touch, coupled with an inventiveness in how to use that touch to get by defenders

here's 4 or so I've thrown together off the top of my head

He always passes and moves looking for the combination, which is invaluable in an Ajax winger. Has the ability to delay a pass, keeps his head up and is incredibly unselfish despite being a fantastic dribbler. On top of all of that, he's so incredibly cool in front of goal, that I've vouched for playing him centrally (or alongside Dolberg in a 2-striker system)

He doesn't cross often, due to being a leftfooter at right wing, though I've seen him give decent crosses with his right foot, but he usually tends to cut back or get himself into a position where he can lay it across goal with his right foot. also can be very clever with those balls in the box, just look at this pass

He's honestly so calm and multifaceted. His dribbling is his best asset, but his passing and finishing is nearly just as good. Above all is his awareness and football intelligence. Reminds me of a smaller R9 on the wings.

oh also he's surprisingly strong. far stronger than Kluivert on the other wing (though 2 years older)

Last edited:

bebeanderson

He really is a natural dribbler. He has many downsides as of right now though to play in a physical league like EPL in a troublesome scenario.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm surprised the Mail admits there are actual footballers in europe. Worst newspaper for news and sport. utter crap, which is how I view this "story"

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Hates staying on his feet. He's on the ground for half the video. Nah, leave well alone.

davidmichael

We’ve got Rashford (20), Martial (21), Lukaku (25), Lingard (25), Gomes (17), Gribbin (19) and Chong (18) so what we need is an established and experienced forward player seeing as we’ve already got 7 players 25 and below up top.

I’m not saying it’s who we should go after but we need to be looking at the likes of Griezmann, Bale or Dybala who are all experienced at the highest level and proven talents. Right now (I’m not including Zlatan) we only have Sanchez as a player at the peak of his powers and we need another one, the young players will learn from them but they’ll also make an instant impact themselves.

yo@Kirk

Neres is a left footed RW. I'd rather have Leon Bailey, l left footed forward who can play both wings and striker as well as take set pieces. He's a 20 year old budding superstar in the Bundesliga.

ravi2

We’ve got Rashford (20), Martial (21), Lukaku (25), Lingard (25), Gomes (17), Gribbin (19) and Chong (18) so what we need is an established and experienced forward player seeing as we’ve already got 7 players 25 and below up top.

I’m not saying it’s who we should go after but we need to be looking at the likes of Griezmann, Bale or Dybala who are all experienced at the highest level and proven talents. Right now (I’m not including Zlatan) we only have Sanchez as a player at the peak of his powers and we need another one, the young players will learn from them but they’ll also make an instant impact themselves.
You can't be serious about bale

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Even Memphis had a more proven track record before coming over and see that turned out. The Dutch league is way too hit & miss the past decade.
That sums up my thoughts exactly.
I simply don't want any more players from the Dutch league. Those guys are bad. I mean, really bad.

Charles Miller

That sums up my thoughts exactly.
I simply don't want any more players from the Dutch league. Those guys are bad. I mean, really bad.
Davinson Sanchez just came from that same league. Anyway, i dont think David Neres is really linked with United. The rumours about Kluivert look more reliable.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Weird, I just bought him in my FIFA career mode and we’re now linked. Same happened with Bailly. Shall I get Neymar now?

Norris

Missed that one, the Dutch league is still pretty rubbish and we don't need any more forwards in the summer.
He's more of a Right Winger, so wouldn't be a bad idea to see how he proceeds for the rest of the campaign. We have only 5 players for the 3 positions behind Lukaku. Ideally, we need 6. Unless Pereira will be given a chance there, we do need bring someone in I reckon. Mourinho has said something along similar lines as well.

davidmichael

You can't be serious about bale
I did say “I’m not saying it’s who we should go after” and was talking about how we need to sign an attacker who’s proven at the highest level, Bale wasn’t necessarily who I meant as our top target.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
this thread being so negative is a mystery to me. As much as I enjoy Kluivert, Neres is a level above at this point in literally all facets of the game.

Neres has an incredible first touch, coupled with an inventiveness in how to use that touch to get by defenders

here's 4 or so I've thrown together off the top of my head

He always passes and moves looking for the combination, which is invaluable in an Ajax winger. Has the ability to delay a pass, keeps his head up and is incredibly unselfish despite being a fantastic dribbler. On top of all of that, he's so incredibly cool in front of goal, that I've vouched for playing him centrally (or alongside Dolberg in a 2-striker system)

He doesn't cross often, due to being a leftfooter at right wing, though I've seen him give decent crosses with his right foot, but he usually tends to cut back or get himself into a position where he can lay it across goal with his right foot. also can be very clever with those balls in the box, just look at this pass

He's honestly so calm and multifaceted. His dribbling is his best asset, but his passing and finishing is nearly just as good. Above all is his awareness and football intelligence. Reminds me of a smaller R9 on the wings.

oh also he's surprisingly strong. far stronger than Kluivert on the other wing (though 2 years older)
Another quality first touch followed by passing his defender yesterday

bebeanderson

Either Kluivert or Neres is getting sold. Ajax had a deal to buy Richarlison from Fluminense, why would they buy another winger if they didn't plan to sell someone?

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Either Kluivert or Neres is getting sold. Ajax had a deal to buy Richarlison from Fluminense, why would they buy another winger if they didn't plan to sell someone?
When we tried to sign him Younes was still one of our starting wingers. Also having just two wingers is not enough.

Right now I can see us selling kluivert because of his contract situation. Selling Neres would actually surprise me.

Aloysius's Back 3

What do people think about this guy.

I am biased - but the one thing I want is a left footed forward that can play on the right hand side for us.

This will make Rashford's ability on the left and on his right foot more efficient and spacious.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What do people think about this guy.

I am biased - but the one thing I want is a left footed forward that can play on the right hand side for us.

This will make Rashford's ability on the left and on his right foot more efficient and spacious.
Wouldn't Ziyech be better for that?

NotQuiteManc

^^^
I don't watch many games for Ajax, and only through Youtube mostly, but Neres seems to stay wide more than Ziyech. Even if I think Ziyech is more experienced, I think Neres would suit United more as plenty of players (type) like Ziyech in squad like Lingard and Mata.

Aloysius's Back 3

Wouldn't Ziyech be better for that?

As @NotQuiteManc said - ziyech does remind me more of a player that drifts in to create something than say play way Rashford or Martial plays where he cuts in before taking on a defender and then having a forwards ability.

I could be wrong - but I feel that Neres has played on the left due to to ziyech playing on the right. Not because it's his upmost best area to play - but that is still an assumption.

I look at that video and see the ability to play on the right and use his left foot which would cause some problems when teams have to defend the exact same thing happening on the left hand side with players with a good right foot.

Be it Neres or Pepe or anyone else - I feel like a level of symmetry is important in our attack.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Right so after Ajax already sold two of their first teamers in De Jong and De Ligt and are flush with case they're supposedly selling Neres and Van de Beek too? :wenger:
Not that I believe this particular rumour, but that is literally their business model to be fair.

ArjenIsM3

Not that I believe this particular rumour, but that is literally their business model to be fair.
Sure their business model is to develop talent and cash in after a few years but they would be insane to sell the entire backbone of their team in one window.