David Squires In The Guardian | 21st Feb: The battle to take over Manchester United

Speedicut75

I must be the only person on here that finds Squires about as funny as a root canal.
I'm usually more of a fan, and I know he's principally baiting us here ( which is fine ) but this effort is overly contrived, and only raised a slight snigger when he mentioned the lubricated kitman and Grealish's Gucci satchel.

Moriarty

I'm usually more of a fan, and I know he's principally baiting us here ( which is fine ) but this effort is overly contrived, and only raised a slight snigger when he mentioned the lubricated kitman and Grealish's Gucci satchel.
The Guardian sacked Steve Bell so I won't laugh at another of their of their cartoonists until he's reinstated.

GazTheLegend

I must be the only person on here that finds Squires about as funny as a root canal.
His latest one is absolutely fecking awful, it's not even just that we are the butt of the joke here, but being vaguely dismissive and outraged about the possibiity of Manchester United being bought by Qatar all while he mocks us for being beaten by one that's been many years in the progress seems tone deaf to me.

@Rooney in Paris It feels to me like the current line among media figures seems to be "State ownership was FINE when Chelsea did it, FINE that City have done it, and we shall bury our heads in the sand about Newcastle and to a lesser extent Real Madrid.... but if Manchester United do it, they're SELLING THEIR SOUL.

As always with the media it's different rules for us because they HATE US, and people like Squires can barely contain their total indifference towards Manchester City.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His latest one is absolutely fecking awful, it's not even just that we are the butt of the joke here, but being vaguely dismissive and outraged about the possibiity of Manchester United being bought by Qatar all while he mocks us for being beaten by one that's been many years in the progress seems tone deaf to me.

@Rooney in Paris It feels to me like the current line among media figures seems to be "State ownership was FINE when Chelsea did it, FINE that City have done it, and we shall bury our heads in the sand about Newcastle and to a lesser extent Real Madrid.... but if Manchester United do it, they're SELLING THEIR SOUL.

As always with the media it's different rules for us because they HATE US, and people like Squires can barely contain their total indifference towards Manchester City.
The feeling I get is more that he is depicting the indifference towards City, rather than partaking in it. I get the impression he is as outraged as most on here, but shows it in a more subtle way.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The Royal Blood panel had me chuckling. Oh and De Gea saving his energy in case a pea roller comes along later. Not up to his usual standards though, I’d agree.

GazTheLegend

The feeling I get is more that he is depicting the indifference towards City, rather than partaking in it. I get the impression he is as outraged as most on here, but shows it in a more subtle way.
I tried to find more of his stuff on Man City but can only find things like this https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-citys-premier-league-transformation legacy comic.

It's a funny thing to be annoyed about but I feel like the media hasn't been outraged ENOUGH by some of the owners of our football clubs. Vladimir Putin's right hand man owning Chelsea just doesn't get enough vitriol, considering how unbelievably disgusting it was, nor do Man City catch enough flack for being a country/state running a fecking football club in Stockport. But I digress a bit, the humour is just a bit lost on me in light of current events and seeing as to how we are acceptably the butt of everyone's joke.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's a funny thing to be annoyed about but I feel like the media hasn't been outraged ENOUGH by some of the owners of our football clubs.
Oh I absolutely agree with this, and have said so several times in various threads, but I'm just not sure that Squires is the one that should be the one on whose shoulders this responsibility falls, he's not prominent enough a figure really (unless I miss other stuff he does). And I feel that he genuinely thinks what you're mentioning, just expressing it through satire and sarcasm (in line with the overall tone of his strips).

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I thought it was obvious that he is against state-owned clubs

BerryBerryShrew

I think the point is that ourselves and Liverpool are the gold standard clubs in England, and while it's adorable that ickle widdle Man City think they matter, they really don't. It isn't an insult that he is more appalled at the idea that an iconic British working class institution like Man United could be used as a propaganda puff piece for human rights abusing dickheads than a non-entity like Man City.

GazTheLegend

I think the point is that ourselves and Liverpool are the gold standard clubs in England, and while it's adorable that ickle widdle Man City think they matter, they really don't. It isn't an insult that he is more appalled at the idea that an iconic British working class institution like Man United could be used as a propaganda puff piece for human rights abusing dickheads than a non-entity like Man City.
That's fair and his latest update is absolutely and utterly fantastic, the European Vauxhall Conference put a smile on my face at least. The elephant celebrating in the first panel cracked me up too.