g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 12: Canada vs Morocco | Croatia vs Belgium | Costa Rica vs Germany | Japan vs Spain

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pretty much every VAR decision is either a stupidly tight offside or a bullshit penalty, ruining the game. When they actually need it to see if a ball went out of play they get it wrong. Total madness.

PieCrust

Japan. Unbelievable. Japan can beat Croatia, but likely then face Brazil. Would crazy if they somehow managed to win the tournament. I know no chance, but they get to dream after beating both Spain and Germany to top their group.

Cole9

As amusing as it is to see Germany out, VAR is beyond a disgrace. The ball was clearly out.

Lynty

What a wild turn of events that. Football and unpredictability eh. Ability wise and performance wise they easily could have gone all the way, not like they were Belgium where they just played like shit. Didn't take their chances in 1 game and suddenly out of their hands. Spain took it easy in the last game and never felt the need to go for the win, and they end up losing. Blowing up everyone's brackets.

Brazil suddenly with a piss easy route to the semi final, where they play Netherlands/Argentina, or a minnow. They're as good as in the final then IMO.

Englands side of the draw suddenly loaded.
Semis:

Argentina v Brazil

England v Portugal

Rashford wonder goal to knock France out and produce iconic moments of Mbappe crying

Idxomer

Doubt you'd find even the most blind Germans agreeing with you.
They had the better chances in every game, and their opponents scored some bizarre goals.

I don't care whether the Germans agree or not.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I reckon they fancied their chances against Morocco and Portugal, rather than face Croatia and then Brazil in the Quarters.
The great thing all those teams will fancy their chances against each other. This is lowkey a great world cup, one of the best in a while.

Abraxas

Embarrassing for Germany to not achieve the bare minimum and qualify from that particular group. Feels like their Iceland moment.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have yet to see proof that all of the ball was over the line. The pictures above don't show shit.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Why do you need to see an angle of the ball in play. Show me an angle that shows it's clearly out... TOUCHE!

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Most xG in the group stage —

Germany: 10.0
France: 7.4
Argentina: 6.3
England: 5.3
Spain: 5.3

Our finishing has been abysmal

Wing Attack Plan R

Japan’s defending was disciplined and tireless, the last 25 minutes. Great concentration. Spain with zero ideas, utterly devoid of ideas.

One thing this Cup has shown is how hard the second and third tier nations have been working to improve their national teams. The old guard is dead. Brazil and France the only big dogs who aren’t spoofing it.

the_cliff

People will of course blame the goal.

The ball is in if the curvature of the ball is on the line. From that camera angle it doesn't show the full curvature of the ball, it is a goal.

Germany can only blame themselves, they lost to Japan, they drew to Spain, they've been subpar all tournament.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Good call from the officials. If you’ve seen a few of these it’s pretty clear that it was still in. ITV pundits embarrassing there.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Japan. Unbelievable. Japan can beat Croatia, but likely then face Brazil. Would crazy if they somehow managed to win the tournament. I know no chance, but they get to dream after beating both Spain and Germany to top their group.
Watch Japan getting trashed by Croatia, as Croatia aren't as much favorites as Spain and Germany were

It would be typical.

Sentient Meat

I remember when some were calling the likes of Kagawa, shirt sellers.

Hopefully Son's success and Japan's success will make people realize that they have some decent players in Asia.

I think Croatia will beat them, but I think they earned some respect.

evil_geko

Because Spain calculated their defeat, Germany should have lost on purpose in the end and get Spain out too, would have been brilliant.

I am very happy about Japan though, love it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Most xG in the group stage —

Germany: 10.0
France: 7.4
Argentina: 6.3
England: 5.3
Spain: 5.3

Our finishing has been abysmal
You need a top striker. The likes of Werner, Fullkrug and Muller don't cut it at #9.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Souness, Aluko and Neville doubling down on their ignorance. Feck me.