Day 12: Netherlands vs. Chile

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Should be a cracking game. Rooting for Chile to pull off a win and set up the scene for a Brazil vs Netherlands clash.

Stadjer

A nice 2-2 draw would be fine.

We are going to play without RVP and Indi and i've read rumors of Chille resting Vidal?

I expect Lens to replace RVP evemthough there were reports of Kuyt playing in starting 11 at training? Kuyt shouldnt even be at the WC

Unlikely lad

A nice 2-2 draw would be fine.

We are going to play without RVP and Indi and i've read rumors of Chille resting Vidal?

I expect Lens to replace RVP evemthough there were reports of Kuyt playing in starting 11 at training? Kuyt shouldnt even be at the WC
Hope Kuyt doesn't play. I can see why he's the squad though, can't be a bad presence amongst so many youngsters.

I'm hoping that Lens starts, Chile's defence are there for the taking, we just need to make sure we can play despite their pressing game.

Looking forward to see fat Agassi on the side lines again.

Pentagruel

For Netherlands there will of course be no Robin van Persie and Martins Indi will also be out with a concussion.

Chile will be without Arturo Vidal because of his knee injury. Charles Aranguiz was also injured but has recovered faster then expected and is likely to play.

With first place being important this fortunately looks to be a good match. I am curious if Louis van Gaal will continue with his 5-2-3 formation or if will will start with 4-3-3 right away. Chile also tends to play a high defensive line so I think 5-2-3 might be effective again on the break. Especially Arjen Robben is deadly in this setup.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Croatia could well be a tougher game than Brazil.....
i think Croatia is only dangerous if you let them play. If they have the ball, they can do something, but without it, they are pretty beatable. And vs Chile, they definitely not gonna get much of the ball possession. Plus, i don't think they are fast enough to play good counter attacks, specially their striker, whom i believe Medel would handle comfortably.

Brasil on the other hand, despite not playing great football, has the physical aspect on their side and can always be dangerous on the counter attack. Plus, lets hope not, possible outfield advantages. (FIFA)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...uis-van-gaal-tricks-fifa-chile-world-cup-2014

Louis van Gaal has taken aim at Fifa for “playing tricks” before Holland’s game with Chile to decide which of them will top their group and probably avoid Brazil in the next round.

He criticised Fifa over the scheduling of Brazil’s final match against Cameroon, suggesting it would benefit the host country, and also questioned the standard of refereeing in Holland’s two matches to date. “Fifa, for every match they have this advertisement around fair play. Fifa plays these tricks. It’s not a good thing. It’s not fair play,” he said.

Brazil’s first two matches had been scheduled before Holland’s but the hosts’ final game against Cameroon is played after the Dutch face Chile. Both Group B teams have maximum points but Holland need only a draw thanks to their superior goal difference as a result of the 5-1 evisceration of Spain in their opening game.

“We’re going to focus on a victory tomorrow against Chile and I don’t think that will be affected by the fact Brazil will play after us,” said Van Gaal. “I am just assuming Brazil will do their sporting duty. Why on earth are they [Fifa] doing that? That is the question.”

Van Gaal said his players had mustered an “unbelievable” effort in their two games to date – the demolition of Spain followed by a curate’s egg of a performance against Australia in which they came from behind to escape with a 3-2 victory. A characteristically bullish Van Gaal also criticised the Dutch media for spying on closed training sessions and took aim at Fifa’s choice of referees.

He said neither of the penalties Holland had conceded in their first two matches should have been given and questioned the yellow card against Australia that left their captain Robin van Persie suspended for the group decider. Van Persie will be missing, having picked up two bookings – as well as three goals – in his opening two games. The PSV Eindhoven striker Memphis Depay is expected to deputise.

Nor may Chile be at full strength. Their coach, Jorge Sampaoli, is considering leaving the Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal and Charles Aránguiz, who scored one of Chile’s goals and made the other in their thrilling 2-0 victory over Spain, on the bench. Vidal has a sore achilles and Aránguiz has sprained his right knee. Both are also carrying yellow cards.

Predicting the outcome of Group B was never going to be easy but few suspected that Holland and Chile would go into the final game with maximum points and rock-bottom Spain would be facing off with Australia for the wooden spoon.

Monday’s game at the Arena Corinthians in many ways epitomises everything that has been thrilling about this World Cup: two swift, fearless attacking sides – one from South America and one from Europe – who have lit up the group stages.

“We are one of the first teams to qualify. Nobody ever expected that in Holland,” Van Gaal said. “We couldn’t have done any better. But we want more.” The fact that both teams have already qualified is likely to give the match the air of a celebration as the raucous Chileans and garish Dutch pour into the crowded São Paulo streets to add colour to the hardest to please of Brazil’s World Cup host cities.

But there is much at stake. Whoever top the group are likely to avoid the hosts Brazil in the second round and instead face Croatia or Mexico, with a theoretically easier quarter-final to follow.

“If you look ahead a bit, in theory you are better off than if you come second,” said Van Persie, who would like to face Brazil but just “a bit later” in the tournament.

The team who finish second are likely to face Brazil, though given the form of the hosts that fate does not hold the fear it may have done, and then the prospect of Colombia, Uruguay or Italy in the quarter-finals.

Holland have made such a scintillating start to this World Cup that it is easy to forget there were many question marks hanging over them when they arrived in Brazil. But Arjen Robben, playing with an intelligence to add to his natural skill and pace in the best form of his career, and Van Persie have helped their younger team-mates quickly find their feet. They almost stumbled against Australia and it will be intriguing to see if Van Gaal starts with the 5-3-2 he began with against Spain or the 4-3-3 he reverted to at half-time against the Socceroos to rescue the game.

For Chile, roared on by their passionate fans, there is a feeling of momentum building. They will try to stop the Dutch switching the ball from defence to attack as swiftly as they were able to do to such devastating effect against Spain. “Robben is very fast and the team is playing well,” said the Chile defender Francisco Silva. “To counter their speed we’ll have to have a balanced game and close spaces.”

There is little chance of the Dutch, who will be sporting their orange kit for the first time in the tournament, taking the Chile challenge lightly. Van Gaal paid tribute to their “marvellous” coach, their “fantastic” attack and “fanatic” style – the way they press and close the space.

Given the gung-ho attacking, liquid breaks and occasionally suspect defending of both sides, one might expect a high-scoring game. At this most unpredictable of World Cups then it is probably safest to bet on a nil-nil draw.

FromTheBench

Van Gaal is right there. Brazil playing later is odd given they have been playing before till now and are in Group A.

Holland hasn't had the rub of the green with penalty or card calls either so far

Cereal Killer

I really do hope this game is as good as I expect it to be. In my opinion it doesn't really matter who tops the group. Both Chile and Netherlands to beat Brazil and Croatia/Mexico.

Walters_19_MuFc

What a game this should be. Put a bet on with my mate that Chile would finish higher than Netherlands, thinking they would have come second with Netherlands 3rd. As it is, this game will decide who tops the group. Exciting game.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
For Netherlands there will of course be no Robin van Persie and Martins Indi will also be out with a concussion.

Chile will be without Arturo Vidal because of his knee injury. Charles Aranguiz was also injured but has recovered faster then expected and is likely to play.

With first place being important this fortunately looks to be a good match. I am curious if Louis van Gaal will continue with his 5-2-3 formation or if will will start with 4-3-3 right away. Chile also tends to play a high defensive line so I think 5-2-3 might be effective again on the break. Especially Arjen Robben is deadly in this setup.
It's 5-3-2 not 5-2-3.

I say this game Chile wins. Netherlands plays Brazil in the rematch of 2010.

Sb_16

Out of the two, I think Chile has the most chance of eliminating Brazil whereas Netherlands vs Brazil has the most entertainment value.
Since this is the WC of the underdogs, I'll go for a Netherlands win/draw so that Chile can send Brazil looking for taxis.

Devil may care

Hopefully this will be an attacking match with plenty of goals, I think if Vidal is out the Dutch may edge it as long as Robben plays.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Shame, I want all Brazil, Chile and Netherlands to stay in the tournament, but sadly one has to go after the last 16. I am not sure about Netherlands' defence and I think if they face Brazil they will lose. Brazil have weaknesses, too, but they have home advantage and all their players are experienced enough to deal with the pressure as the tournaments goes on. I think they will improve game by game.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Shame, I want all Brazil, Chile and Netherlands to stay in the tournament, but sadly one has to go after the last 16. I am not sure about Netherlands' defence and I think if they face Brazil they will lose. Brazil have weaknesses, too, but they have home advantage and all their players are experienced enough to deal with the pressure as the tournaments goes on. I think they will improve game by game.
Brazil can feck off with their football, it's not Brazil we've come to love.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Brazil can feck off with their football, it's not Brazil we've come to love.
:lol:

Well, I have always liked Brazil. The current generation is not that likeable I admit, neither are they as exciting as their predecessors, but to me they are still somehow OK!

MrTon

I think we'll manage to get draw and so to be first in our group.

The schedule is just retarded, FIFA really is trying to benefit Brazil here. Still I think Brazil will win versus Cameroon, even if they don't try very hard.

LLMU

Holland to win it by 2 goals. But i fear for the Dutch defence actually. They are not exactly that convincing in the 2 games so far

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think it matters, because it will be brazil that can choose their opponent, both would probably won't give too much feck about it and rest their senior players.

There's no point going for top when Brazil plays "AFTER" them.

Sarni

:lol:

Well, I have always liked Brazil. The current generation is not that likeable I admit, neither are they as exciting as their predecessors, but to me they are still somehow OK!
Too many crafters, too few flair players IMO. Take Paulinho and Gustavo for example - two decent midfielders admittedly but both of them combined have the creativity of a retarded guinea pig. Besides, can we really call them Brazil when their only two forwards at the tournament are Fred and Jo?

They shouldn't have beaten Croatia, got the win only thanks to a dodgy penalty. They weren't better than Mexico either. Netherlands or Chile on their day could run the riot against this lot.

David Luiz absolutely infuriates me too. Such a stupid player. Complete and utter idiot.

Sarni

If anything this world cup shows is that anyone can beat anyone, and any teams on the last 16 is capable to win their match on their day
Indeed. The way this World Cup has gone I won't be shocked if we have none of Germany, Argentina and Brazil in semis but have Chile, USA and Colombia.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Seriously. Lens will replace Van Persie.
What will happen to Blind? Is it going to be a 4 back, do you think? EDIT: Seen it on Telegraaf. Looks like LvG will start with a back 5 with Blind as LCB and Kuyt LWB, then switch to a 433 somepoint in the game with Blind LB and Kuyt LW. Wijnaldum over De Guzman and Lens in for RvP.

Last edited:

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
What will happen to Blind? Is it going to be a 4 back, do you think?
It seems like Van Gaal is going to play 5-3-2 again. Blind will move to center back, replacing Indi. It's not 100% sure that this will be starting lineup, but the "Telegraaf" (important Dutch newspaper) are usually well-informed.

Edit: I see you just edited your comment:lol:

Juan't Mata

There's no guarantee Brazil will win their group either so will be fascinating to see how the sides approach this match.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It seems like Van Gaal is going to play 5-3-2 again. Blind will move to center back, replacing Indi. It's not 100% sure that this will be starting lineup, but the "Telegraaf" (important Dutch newspaper) are usually well-informed.

Edit: I see you just edited your comment:lol:
Haha, yep. :lol: I've been a Netherlands megafan thus far, need to keep tradition.