Day 14: Netherlands vs USA | Argentina vs Australia (Last 16 1&2)

Redfrog

Well, Argentina is not favorite against Netherlands. They are in for a reality check.

Spark

Don’t forget Inter value Lautaro at £100 million.

There’s something about Serie A and applying ridiculous valuations to average players: Koulibaly, Milinkovic-Savic, Lukaku amongst others.
He is fecking pony. Fuming if we sign him (which we won’t).

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
As much as I'd love Messi to win it, I fear that the supporting cast simply isn't good enough.

always_hoping

Took Australia 97 minutes to get their first and only shot on target and really should have made it 2-2

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
What a save from Martinez, he got out so fast to close that angle

Dudu

Well played Australia. Ultimately a few silly mistakes cost them.

I reckon Netherlands will beat Argentina.

Rustyspider13

Aussies gave a good account of themselves. Wonder how things would've turned out if Ryan hadn't given away the goal.

Netherlands v Argentina should be a great game. Might be a tactical one.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
What a player Messi is, going to miss him when he retires, nothing close to him

Zen

I've never seen Messi look this exhausted. This squad is gonna end him with this Messi-dependence when he's 35 :lol:

edcunited1878

Lisandro with an amazing block and Emi Martinez with another great block/save at the end. Nice scrappy ending with some comical finishing by Lautaro.

Smacky The Frog

oh my god that final chance

Fun match towards the end. Felt like more of a contest than US-Netherlands even if Argentina were clearly better. Argentina play on pure emotion. Helps when you have great support but don't think relying on passion and Messi magic is sustainable for an entire tournament.

Argentina-Netherlands is probably going to be a slog.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Btw, it was Messi who lost the ball for the last Australia chance.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Well, Argentina is not favorite against Netherlands. They are in for a reality check.
We can't say the Netherlands were particularly impressive, to me it's close de 50/50 and will rest on Messi's shoulders.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In all the games, you get clear chunks of each countries fans, normally behind the goals… but it seems that Argentinian fans (over other countries) have lots of other fans around the ground too?
I think I was being cautious watching the end and the camera panning round. I’ve not seen a game with anywhere near the fan dominance that one had.

And my geography isn’t great but they’re a long way away from Qatar too? Other side of the world?

Fantastic.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think it depends what Argentina shows up, they missed Di Maria a bit today I think but they need quality in attack, Lautaro is shit really he misses everything.

Netherlands are much better in possession for sure.