Day 17: Netherlands vs. Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Van Persie x2, Robben x1, Chicharito x1, 3-1 to Van Gaal.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Never underestimate us! Mexico win 2-1. Peralta and Hernandez with a goal, Robben with a goal
If I was underestimating Mexico, I'd have gone with Netherlands 5-0 Mexico. ;)

Hausen

this is going to be a very tight match. I really think this match can go either way.
2-1 Mexico

Red_WingedLion

The Batcave, waging a war against boredom
Netherlands are a bit worried with potential injuries it seems. To be honest Robben missing would give us more space to breath, rather than worrying about him and RvP at the same time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/26/world-cup-2014-holland-fitness-concerns-five-players

That said, while the head says that Netherlands will win this even if by a small margin, the heart says that Mexico will take this (and incidentally convincing LvG of the quality of Chicharito to keep him, and Herrera's to buy him).

Mexico 2-1 with one of those wondergoals from Chicharito.

Bojan11

Robben vs Marquez will be tasty. 1-0 Holland in extra time.

Zes

Hoping so very much for a comfortable win here, like 2 - 0 half time, 4 - 0 full time. Would be such an anti climax to lose before the semi's now after this group stage.
Before the tournament I would've been delighted to face Mexico in this round, but well, they did have a very good group stage themselves so it is a bit scary. Still feel we're pretty big favourites.

Unlikely lad

Still can't get over the fact that we're out of the group with 9 points. We'll probably reach the final and lose to whoever we face now, as per.

Srpiniata

If Holland cant score during first half this match will end in Mexico's favor, if theres a constant in every single match on this world cup its that most teams (mostly the europeans) dont last 90 minutes, and from what i have seen theres not many teams whit better endurance than the mexicans.

So the longer the match drags the better chance for Mexico to win. Also 4-0 to Holland is ridicolous, Mexico recieved 1 goal in group stage (best defense so far, along Costa Rica and Belgium), and that goal at the 87 minute winning 3-0, yes the defense may make everyone nervous but they are pretty good .

Reactions: Eboue

Zes

If Holland cant score during first half this match will end in Mexico's favor, if theres a constant in every single match on this world cup its that most teams (mostly the europeans) dont last 90 minutes, and from what i have seen theres not many teams whit better endurance than the mexicans.

So the longer the match drags the better chance for Mexico to win. Also 4-0 to Holland is ridicolous, Mexico recieved 1 goal in group stage (best defense so far, along Costa Rica and Belgium), and that goal at the 87 minute winning 3-0, yes the defense may make everyone nervous but they are pretty good .
Of course I don't expect 4 - 0, simply expressing hope. No offense.
However, "If Holland cant score during first half this match will end in Mexico's favor" and "So the longer the match drags the better chance for Mexico to win" well, 8 out of 10 Dutch goals came in the second half, so I don't agree with that.

jimorrison

Mexico 2
holland 1

hopefully an awesome match, where the ref does not choose the winner but the players on the pitch.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
I think all those that are going through injury, will still play. This is one of the games I'm most looking forward to. Let's see how LvG handles the mexicans.

margarito86

Greetings from natal, will be driving to fortaleza tomorrow morning.. already found a lad to sell me tickets and said he would hold them for me until tomorrow. Hoping for a Mexico win, I think Chile would for a tougher match FOR mexico.. but honestly both would be favorites over mexico. Just hope that Holland plays vs mexico like they did vs Australia.

Firstouch20

Not really true in Hollands case. Holland have been one of the fittest teams in the tournement and their formation allows for their forwards Robben and RvP to conserve their energy for the attacking phases. You look at Holland and they have been scoring late goals in all of their games. They have also been better in the 2nd half throughout the group stage. All of this while playing their games during the hottest time of the day in Brazil.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Mexico so far have only conceded a token goal against Croatia and with Holland's reactive, countering approach, it should be tight.

Momochiru

This will be tasty. I think Holland have the better chance to win in regular time, but if the game goes to extra time Mexico will win it - no matter how you look at it, the European teams are at a disadvantage in this climate.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
This is going to be a very good game. I feel it in my waters.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If you're a united FA, wouldn't you rather Mexico win, so then Van Gaal will be at United sooner.

LARulz

If you're a united FA, wouldn't you rather Mexico win, so then Van Gaal will be at United sooner.
I thought that but as signings etc are being done and most players are going to be on holiday anyway, then its not a problem. Plus the better Van Gaal does the better I think the attraction is for players to come. If they beat Mexico. they then face Costa Rica or Greece to get to the semi's, that is a great run to have.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought that but as signings etc are being done and most players are going to be on holiday anyway, then its not a problem. Plus the better Van Gaal does the better I think the attraction is for players to come. If they beat Mexico. they then face Costa Rica or Greece to get to the semi's, that is a great run to have.
Agree with this. A WC winning manager would be great and signings are already being taken care of anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.