Day 18: Croatia vs Brazil | Netherlands vs Argentina (QF 1&2)

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
But the intention was clear. I don't think he was aiming for an empty seat. I think the reaction was understandable
Yeah I thought he should've picked up a yellow for that and a yellow for the tackle. Just think the Dutch emptying their bench and decking Paredes was way OTT. I mean, how the hell van Dijk escaped any kind of punishment is still beyond me.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
He got booked
Wasn't that way later in the game though? I know Pearce on commentary said it was the ref catching up with everything that had happened but he didn't show him a yellow at the time. VVD and Paredes were both stood talking to him and he clearly only flashed it at Paredes.

He's listed as having booked VVD two whole minutes after he booked Paredes.

arnie_ni

Yeah I thought he should've picked up a yellow for that and a yellow for the tackle. Just think the Dutch emptying their bench and decking Paredes was way OTT. I mean, how the hell van Dijk escaped any kind of punishment is still beyond me.
Was coming to post this. For as card happy as that ref was he missed what I think is an obvious 2 yellows and a red.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's a really strange narrative. There's nothing wrong to simply say that this Argentina team have done well and Messi has stepped up when he's been needed most, showing that he's the right choice to captain this side.
I didn't berate them but I still maintain that they're shaky and wouldn't have made it this far without him.

He's the source of almost all their goal chances. Croatia have a strong midfield, able to take Messi out of the game. We'll see then who's gonna step up for Argentina.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I didn't berate them but I still maintain that they're shaky and wouldn't have made it this far without him.

He's the source of almost all their goal chances. Croatia have a strong midfield, able to take Messi out of the game. We'll see then who's gonna step up for Argentina.
Sorry if it seemed like I was aiming that at you, I wasn't as I think your comment was fair enough. I guess I've just seen a lot of things recently that portray Messi as this sole behemoth of the game, guiding a band of lost wanderers through the fog. The pedestal some people have artificially created for who is arguably the greatest player of all time, who doesn't need fake stories to build him up, is often weird.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Sorry if it seemed like I was aiming that at you, I wasn't as I think your comment was fair enough. I guess I've just seen a lot of things recently that portray Messi as this sole behemoth of the game, guiding a band of lost wanderers through the fog. The pedestal some people have artificially created for who is arguably the greatest player of all time, who doesn't need fake stories to build him up, is often weird.
My bad. I misunderstood you.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
What am I watching here, I've no sound
The Ref said that Messi should take the first pen, without doing the coin toss according to the tweet.

Then Van Dijk said no, and did the coin toss, he went first.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't know why but I always find it funny/endearing when you're expecting to hear the voice of a news presenter on the Fast Show and suddenly you hear the voice of someone who finishes every sentence with "ya know wot I mean, 'arry".

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Every English post-match interview: beige nothing answers word for word as directed in media training.

Argie interview: WCW shoot promo circa 2000.

Feck it, I hope they go all the way. Beautiful nutters.

Ramos

Not booking Messi for this blatant handball is what started everything. Lahoz completely lost control after this.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
How is it even possible to think ref gave everything to the Dutch here?
I think honestly someone has said it, because it's bringing the team together "them versus us" like Mourinho used to do, it'll work in their favour to build team spirit.

Thing is though, speaking out in the Media, he's fecking himself. If he gets suspended now, good luck Argentina.