Day 18: Russia-Spain, Croatia-Denmark

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
So is De Gea criticised for not saving a penalty?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Hmm it wasn’t deliberate but I suppose when you have your hand that high.
What other reason than blocking the ball would he have for keeping his arm up? The other one dropped, as you'd expect. Guess Pique forgot about VAR for a second and figured it was worth the risk.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Totally non deliberate but you cannot keep the hand like that.
Was for me. Was such an unnatural movement of his arm and he did it because he lost the flight of the ball, so was leaving his arm there to make the block just in case.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can only remember De Gea saving one penalty, Van Persie's, is that it?
Saved one from Baines I think. First one Baines missed in the league as well if I recall correctly.

AshRK

They could have punished Russia before when they won the ball on the edge of their own box. A quick break and the Russians were stranded. Instead they decided to just pass it about. I want Spain to do well, but you wonder if Spanish fans actually enjoy this stuff.
See this is what happens. Spain's football remind me a lot of lvgs crap under us, just that Spain have much better quality.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Would be nice if De Gea was better at saving pens, but this game really needed a goal from Russia just to give us a better watch.

Carolina Red

Staff
Many do. Tbf I much prefer the old ones - not because I'm a USSR fan but at least they were original. It's a bit embarrassing when you're trying to create a new set of words for an old song, and the new words are borderline terrible
I’d have to agree. The old one is a helluva song.

Javi

What other reason than blocking the ball would he have for keeping his arm up? The other one dropped, as you'd expect. Guess Pique forgot about VAR for a second and figured it was worth the risk.
That on the other hand is implausible too. Most probably he just unconciously ended up with his arm up there...

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Hopefully SPain goes out. This half was just awful.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I was hoping our boy would save that. Game needed this though because Spain was slowing the game down and it was like watching paint dry.

ManUtd1999

France and Spain scored after 12 minuets.

Argentina and Russia equalized after 40 minuets.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
World class in the middle, but struggling in the final third this Spain side. I never get the feeling they are about to score. They're really not suited to playing defensive teams.

Revan

Assumptionman
Was for me. Was such an unnatural movement of his arm and he did it because he lost the flight of the ball, so was leaving his arm there to make the block just in case.
Well, he was not looking at the ball, so probably non deliberate. At the same time, it is not important, the hand was totally in a non natural position, you just cannot make yourself big like that. Clear pen IMO.

Jazz

Spain will still win.

Yet again no referee officiates by the actual law of the game
It is deliberate if the player keeps his hand that far away from his body and hopes it "accidentally" hits his arm to prevent the goal. So then the player can claim it was an "accident".

Jazz

Oh wow almost a second for Spain

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Spain play like van Gaal is their manager. Boring sideways possession football with no penetration.

el3mel

Buffon was also not that good at saving penalties anyway. I always preferred Iker to Buffon when it comes to penalties for example but Buffon was a better shot stopper. Not every GK is supposed to be complete.

Bobski

LVG's greatest accomplishment at Utd was fully demonstrating how soul destroying possession for the sake of possession can be. Pre his time at Utd people might have been defending this shite.