Day 18: Russia-Spain, Croatia-Denmark

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hold onto your horses, we have Russians who run faster than Mbappe.....nah 2-0 Spain.

Modric remains on bail so he can give another lesson. Croatia 3-1.

Traub

Spain vs Russia has a real chance of an upset. Other game will be a blowout.

Jev

I actually think Spain have been playing quite well overall and will win comfortably. Asensio is rumoured to start which would give them much needed pace and penetration.

Hoping Denmark can pull off an upset and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibilities. We're due a good performance after three tumescent displays and have proven hard to beat. So incredibly excited for this game.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nah Russia were exposed in quality v Uruguay. Spain will have their usual 70&% possession so I struggle to see Russia causing them much threat.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
:nervous:
Stop saying we will win! Stop jinxing us!

Hoping Denmark can pull off an upset and don't think it's beyond the realms of possibilities. We're due a good performance after three tumescent displays and have proven hard to beat. So incredibly excited for this game.
and you,shut up! lol

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
A real chance, why? Only reason I can see is Russia being pumped up due to the home crowd and/or bent refs. :p

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Denmark to play with Poulsen and Jorgenson upfront?

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Comfortable win for Spain. Denmark will try to bore Croatia to sleep but I doubt they'd succeed.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Nah Russia were exposed in quality v Uruguay. Spain will have their usual 70&% possession so I struggle to see Russia causing them much threat.
Spot on. Plus, unlike Iran that managed to frustrate Spain for long periods of the game with well oprganized defense, Russians can't defend at all and they don't have enough quality upfront to cause real problems to Spanish backline.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
According to Cope / Marca there will be only one change, Koke by Thiago.AS also includes the option of Rodrigo instead of Costa.
I think the vast majority of the fans wants more changes but it seems that Hierro will remain more conservative

izec

According to Cope / Marca there will be only one change, Koke by Thiago.AS also includes the option of Rodrigo instead of Costa.
I think the vast majority of the fans wants more changes but it seems that Hierro will remain more conservative
which changes would you want?

izec

Think this will be two straight forward games, Croatia and Spain to dominate and win

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Denmark to play with Poulsen and Jorgenson upfront?
Could very well be Cornelius as a lone striker with Poulsen, Braithwaite and Eriksen behind him. He did well against France og has that physical presense to cause some damage.

ColvaleGoa

Today us going to be a boring and routine day of knockout rounds! Spain will cruise through easily and Croatia will get the Cigar out against the Dull Danes!!

Guess we need a comedown after yesterday's high!!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
which changes would you want?
I have several options in my head. I think Carvajal is not well. This was not his best season and he got injured weeks before. I think Nacho could do well.
Silva is not playing well either, he is not finding his place. I am not sure if it is a matter of physical form or position.
Iniesta... I see him slightly slow and without legs. I think the amount of minutes he has played is excessive.
Maybe I would play with two up. De Gea (I'm not too convinced either, but Kepa has played 90min with Spain, so if he has not played in the group it would be a little imprudent to put him now), Nacho, Ramos, Piqué, Alba, Koke, Busquets, Isco, Iniesta / Asensio, Aspas, Costa.
I think that Hierro hopes that in one way or another the fluid and fast game will appear, but he can't find the formula to copy that fantastic match against Italy(in which Costa didn't play and Silva was so important).

Bearded One

I actually think Spain have been playing quite well overall and will win comfortably. Asensio is rumoured to start which would give them much needed pace and penetration.

This Spanish team is one weird one really. You'd think they'll spank teams because of their superior ball playing abilities all over the pitch but they turn out to be toothless upfront. They also look to be very soft at the back. I tried to figure out their team and realized that having Isco, Silva, Iniesta, etc in attacking areas would lead to too much possessiion without penetration and I asked myself why the hell has Hierro not opted to start Asensio for better penetration because they seem pretty easy to figure out at this stage.

If i was manager I'd go:

De Gea
Cavarjal Pique Ramos Alba
Busquets Koke
Iniesta/Silva
Asensio Costa Isco​

Last edited:

Ban

I'm wearing a blue 2008 kit to brake a curse of a first knock out phase.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Think Croatia have gone from under-rated pre tournament to over-rated.

They are a top top team, but I smell an upset today for the Danes. Defensively sound bunch.

Think it'll end as a draw and Denmark to win on penalties.

RoyH1

It is my obligation to say that my adopted country of Denmark will win this one in an incredibly jammy performance.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
It will be so typical of Croatia to bottle it once they get the favourites tag to win it all. Even Russia could upset Spain. Spain has been dire apart from their first match against Portugal.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could you imagine a Russia-Denmark quarter final? :lol: I like Eriksen but Denmark been really dull to watch in this cup which is disappointing, their front three have not fired at all.

And for anything who dosen't like England this is their half of the draw of course....

Ban

It will be so typical of Croatia to bottle it once they get the favourites tag to win it all. Even Russia could upset Spain. Spain has been dire apart from their first match against Portugal.
I don't think it would be typical cause we got that tag maybe once till now.
It would be typical if we'd bottle it being favorites for the game tho.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I really hope Croatia do it. I dislike Denmark a lot. Awful to watch

Jacob

I think they will step it up now. Winning the group while playing poorly says at all. They're my favorites to win the WC

Bestietom

No extra time or Penalties as yet so maybe we will see them today. Spain V Russia most likely.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Iniesta was shocking against Morocco. no surprise to see he's been dropped.

Javi

Still not entirely convinced by Asensio but great to see him receiving this opportunity.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Hanks

Since 1966 onwards, only Germany, Brazil, Italy, Argentina, Netherlands, France and Spain have played in WC finals.

IN 3 hours time, we could already be guaranteed a completely fresh face/country to play in a World Cup final match.

For that reason alone, hope Russia wins today (still baffled at Cheryshev on the bench though)