Day 18: Russia-Spain, Croatia-Denmark

Acole9

Outstanding
Despite De Gea being on the Spanish team I wouldn't mind seeing Russia win this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How Spain haven't exploited Ignashevich' lack of mobility is beyond me. They should be turning him inside out.
Receive the ball, kill the ball, look around, make 3 steps forward, kill the ball, look around, pass it slowly backward. That's how.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Has any player had a less impressive 10 minute cameo than Smolov in this one? Every single touch/pass/shot was garbage, and ruined several moves.

Hawks2008

Some how Spain are as boring to watch as we are. This is why I never understand the fetishization of possession football.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
When was the last time Asensio did something in this game? I'm going over the 2nd half in my head and I don't remember him playing

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good they allow an extra sub for ET.

drdoityourself

Can't imagine anyone who hasn't got both parents from Spain, rooting for this painfully boring Spanish side.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Go Russia! Русские Вперед!

Canagel

Costa aswell just isn't a good fit in this Spanish team. He enjoyed the battle v Portugal but other games he's been as poor as in 2014.

David Villa upfront was a much better fit for their style of play.
If Spain didn't have Costa they would've been already out imo. The only thing separating Spain from Germany is a top striker otherwise both teams are very similarly boring. Only time they've looked a threat is when they've played to Costa's strengths.

Robbie Boy

Go on Russia. I’ve fallen in love with this Russian side. They had minus expectations coming into the tournament.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some how Spain are as boring to watch as we are. This is why I never understand the fetishization of possession football.
Every style has its great and horrible side. Possession football with cutting edge passing, long range shooting to draw defense can be great on the eyes

Patrick08

Spain has to be the most boring football team with their tiki taka side to side football.Makes me sleepy.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Can't imagine anyone who hasn't got both parents from Spain, rooting for this painfully boring Spanish side.
I just can't tell how hard it would be for any semi-decent team to play this way too. You can't tell me that if England entirely forewent the choice 'play it forwards' the back 8 players couldn't pass it sideways and between themselves for 20 minutes at a time.

For me it's cowardice. Football should be about trying something, not boring teams into submission.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Shit-show of a game but I don’t blame Russia for this at all, they’ve got far worse players than Spain and the onus shouldn’t be on them to make this entertaining given they’re barely getting on the ball.

If they had a better counterattacking threat up front this would be perfect tactics from them as an underdog side against technical possession based opposition.

Hawks2008

Every style has its great and horrible side. Possession football with cutting edge passing, long range shooting to draw defense can be great on the eyes
Yeah when there is actual penetration and purpose with the possession it's fine to watch but more often then not it just seems aimless and more to stop the other team from having the ball than anything else.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
How are we in this situation with a 1-0 after 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Chairman Steve

I’d ideally like Spain to win this as I’ve got them down to win in my predictor at work, then I’ve got them down to get knocked out by Croatia in the quarter finals.

Russia are starting to look shattered though. On paper it’s only a matter of time before Spain get an attack right and Russia mess up

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Russia are absolutely shot. This is only ending one way.

3-1 FT to Spain I reckon.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
haha, I see that there will be a competition to start the thread "let´s laugh at Spain"

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We were spoilt yesterday, always thought this would be a bit of a grind but imagined Spain would get job done in 90 minutes.

Croatia really need to keep things together mentally as they have a great chance of reaching the final.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Spain have been very lethargic, plenty of nice passing but lack any incision.

Marcus

Soain is the most boring side I have seen at this world cup. Should really go out for subjecting the football world to this .

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
If our 4th sub is Lucas for Asensio I'm rooting for Russia

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah when there is actual penetration and purpose with the possession it's fine to watch but more often then not it just seems aimless and more to stop the other team from having the ball than anything else.
I am with you bro. Spain are shit but Russia are dead. Horrible combo for a game

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Would love to see km running stats - Russia working hard in defence.