Day 19: Belgium vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

OoopsMisclick

I think my heart stopped a few times during the game... God, I went nuts when we scored the 1-0 & 2-0 and got scared when they made the 2-1. Best WC game so far and ofcourse i'm happy that we won but USA did really well and would also have been deserved winners if they scored instead of belgium.

I predict an open game vs argentina. One side will get trashed and I fear that might be belgium. Can't wait for that game!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think my heart stopped a few times during the game... God, I went nuts when we scored the 1-0 & 2-0 and got scared when they made the 2-1. Best WC game so far and ofcourse i'm happy that we won but USA did really well and would also have been deserved winners if they scored instead of belgium.

I predict an open game vs argentina. One side will get trashed and I fear that might be belgium. Can't wait for that game!
No one will get trashed IMO. It will be a close game and I reckon 3-1 Belgium.

Cina

The Argies would have to suddenly turn into a far, far better side than they currently are to 'thrash' them. It'll be pretty close.

Belgium impressed me last night, if their strikers were more clinical they could've smashed the USA. You get the idea they can keep improving as they go along.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What are you talking about????

Greece had 23 shots, 13 of them on goal. Costa Rica had 6 shots, 2 of them on goal.

In England-Costa Rica, England had 8 shots, 3 of them on goal. Costa Rica had 4 shots, 3 of them on goal.

In Belgium-USA, USA had 14 shots, 9 on goal.
What am I on about? What the hell are you on about? Why are you listing the England - Costa Rica game? What that dead-rubber match has to do with anything I have no idea.

The Greece game you listed also proves my point they only had 8 shots before the sending off (Costa Rica had 7 shots in the game - 5 before the sending off) - so if you were trying to prove my point that Greece required a red-card to come out of their shell... erm, thanks?

But really, stats - once again - are pointless. You know what's the best way of actually assessing which teams have been more exciting? By - and you'll love this - actually watching the games and gauging how exciting you've found them/ the teams in them. Crazy concept I know...

surf

That was the most one sided game I've seen in a long time. And yet USA should have won it with that chance at the end of normal time. Football, bloody hell.

Batrider

I would've loved for the US to advance. Really likeable team with tons of spirit and a fantastic attitude.

OoopsMisclick

No one will get trashed IMO. It will be a close game and I reckon 3-1 Belgium.
Actually, I disagree. As soon as someone scores, all defensive tactics/strategy/positioning will go out of the window. It all depends on how defensive the teams start.

I tip argentina to win it. Might not be a real "trashing" but a 3-0 or something is surely possible. I'm worried about our midfield basicly. We could clearly use a matuidi or a pogba kind of player in our midfield. Unless fellaini steps up next game (he was making too making fouls and was plain average imo)

Sarni

Actually, I disagree. As soon as someone scores, all defensive tactics/strategy/positioning will go out of the window. It all depends on how defensive the teams start.

I tip argentina to win it. Might not be a real "trashing" but a 3-0 or something is surely possible. I'm worried about our midfield basicly. We could clearly use a matuidi or a pogba kind of player in our midfield. Unless fellaini steps up next game (he was making too making fouls and was plain average imo)
Argentina haven't beaten anyone at this World Cup by more than a goal, and they've played some poor teams - Bosnia and Iran were quite poor and Nigeria weren't very good either IMO, even Switzerland are an average team. To expect them to hand out a trashing to a team that has only conceded twice in over 400 minutes of football so far, including one penalty goal, when they've barely been able to create clear cut chances the whole tournament is IMO naive. People keep going about how Argentina will eventually click when truth is they're just an average side plus Messi. Take Messi away and they wouldn't stand a chance even against Belgium.

OoopsMisclick

Argentina haven't beaten anyone at this World Cup by more than a goal, and they've played some poor teams - Bosnia and Iran were quite poor and Nigeria weren't very good either IMO, even Switzerland are an average team. To expect them to hand out a trashing to a team that has only conceded twice in over 400 minutes of football so far, including one penalty goal, when they've barely been able to create clear cut chances the whole tournament is IMO naive. People keep going about how Argentina will eventually click when truth is they're just an average side plus Messi. Take Messi away and they wouldn't stand a chance even against Belgium.
While i agree with you that Argentina hasn't really destroyed anyone so far, you must admit that belgium arguably got the easiest group of the tournament and that the US is still an easy opponent to meet in the 1/8th final. We weren't convincing during the group stages either. Basicly, you have 2 teams that can win next round but I give the advantage to Argentina due to the fact that the belgium squad is actually very young with hardly any WC experience. Plus Argentina will be playing a 'home' game.

It will come down to small details but i think the team that gets the first goal, will push on and get the win.

nick2004

a.

The Greece game you listed also proves my point they only had 8 shots before the sending off (Costa Rica had 7 shots in the game - 5 before the sending off) - so if you were trying to prove my point that Greece required a red-card to come out of their shell... erm, thanks?
So, you are saying that before the sending off Greece had 8 shots and Costa Rica only 5. What's your point again? That Greece was playing defensive game and Costa Rica attacking?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So, you are saying that before the sending off Greece had 8 shots and Costa Rica only 5. What's your point again? That Greece was playing defensive game and Costa Rica attacking?
... No, that it was a really dull game where neither side were doing much, and then after Costa Rica had a man sent off, the impetus fell on Greece to attack consistantly - hence why their shot count took a rise. Besides, before the red card it was a fairly even game too, it's not like either side were doing the most of the attacking/defending... it was just an incredibly dull afair.

Seriously though, did you watch that game? How anyone can say Greece played good/entertaining football based on the first 60 minutes of that game is beyond me.

At least when the Americans attack, they do so with pace and purpose, which goes quite far with people.

jaimoe

until you get 200+ week in week out for club matches, it won't move the needle much IMO.

it is easy to get behind a 'festival' vs. the actual sport week in week out, year in year out.

and yes i know in big cities, certain bars get lots of patrons for club games - i'm talking about nationwide.
You have to start somewhere though, don't you? We are moving forward; not back, not sideways, forward.

MarylandMUFan

What bothers me is how deep we defended. Kinsmann talked about how they defended too deep against Germany and we needed to push out further. We'll, we didn't. Either because we don't have the quality or the desire, it still made for a lopsided game with the USA offering nothing for 100 minutes of football.

Sarni

While i agree with you that Argentina hasn't really destroyed anyone so far, you must admit that belgium arguably got the easiest group of the tournament and that the US is still an easy opponent to meet in the 1/8th final. We weren't convincing during the group stages either. Basicly, you have 2 teams that can win next round but I give the advantage to Argentina due to the fact that the belgium squad is actually very young with hardly any WC experience. Plus Argentina will be playing a 'home' game.

It will come down to small details but i think the team that gets the first goal, will push on and get the win.
I think Argentina have actually had it easier so far. Algeria were a tough test for Germany, Russia are a decent side, both Korea and Iran are awful sides. I don't think there's much between Algeria and Nigeria, likewise between Bosnia and Russia and Switzerland and USA. Argentina haven't played a properly good team at this tournament yet either. No way this finishes 3-0. It might be 1-0 to Argentina, 2-1 or something but it won't be a cruise.

OoopsMisclick

I think Argentina have actually had it easier so far. Algeria were a tough test for Germany, Russia are a decent side, both Korea and Iran are awful sides. I don't think there's much between Algeria and Nigeria, likewise between Bosnia and Russia and Switzerland and USA. Argentina haven't played a properly good team at this tournament yet either. No way this finishes 3-0. It might be 1-0 to Argentina, 2-1 or something but it won't be a cruise.
I hope you are right and that Argentina disappoints ;) Would be lovely to see us go to the semi finals.

Can't see it happening though but as always I hope for the best. I hope Belgium wins it 2-1.

onemanarmy

Imagine we go to the semi-finals, against Holland. I think I will not be able to watch that game. I'm going fishing or something and will hear the result later on. The stress levels would be through the roof.

This would be, without a doubt, the biggest game for any Belgian football fan in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.