Day 19: Belgium vs. United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

7th level red

Clearly the US is the ONLY squad with dual citizenship players.
no - but adexkola used the term 'patriots'.

i dont care about international teams getting dual-or triple citizenshpi players - but they aren't patriots.

El-Manos

Fair play to the USA but Belgium should have wrapped it up even before the 2nd half started, some horrible finishing and a brilliant Howard. Anyone claiming this victory was not deserved is bonkers.

jaimoe

The avg sports fan who jumps on the WC team USA bandwagon won't be rushing out tomorrow to buy season tickets for his local MLS team.
Haters will hate, if England had gone to the final would Sheffield Wednesday have a run on season tickets? I freely acknowledge that MLS is not great football, we don't claim that it is. I live 90 miles from the "local" MLS franchise and I go to 2 games a year. Keep hating, we like the attention. If 1,000 people are turned on to the beautiful game by the world cup it's 1,000 we no longer have to try to convert. What are you afraid of?

Shurou

Shit ending from an USA supporter's perspective, but proud nonetheless of the effort. Just lacked that last bit of composure and quality to get over the line, but the determination to fight on and leave everything (and I mean everything, sweat, soul, training ground set pieces, and everything in-between) on the pitch is something that will not go unappreciated.

jaimoe

no - but adexkola used the term 'patriots'.

i dont care about international teams getting dual-or triple citizenshpi players - but they aren't patriots.
They're fecking football players, patriotism has nothing to do with football and the comment was they couldn't pass a citizenship test, which has little to do with being a patriot.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Credit to USA, they played their hearts out. Fellaini and Witsel were sitting ducks by the end. How USA found that energy and managed to rally like that in the final 30 minutes is incredible. The Belgians were out on their feet.

That fightback performance from the USA reminded me of us during the Fergie days, where we would throw the kitchen sink at the opposition in the final stages if we were behind. The team would be left just hoofing the ball upfield and hoping for the best but they'd be gifting us possession for another wave of relentless attacking football. That's what the Belgians experienced. Well done USA, you can be proud of that performance.

What an amazing World Cup.
Because they didn't leave their own half for the previous 90 minutes.

The USA didn't even start playing until 116 minutes into this game when Green scored. And if it hadn't been for Howard, Belgium would've been out of sight long ago. His heroics have put a completely different spin on the USA performance, which was largely abject until that late push. You can't even say they defended well, because Belgium created so many chances.

EDIT: I meant 106 minutes.

7th level red

can bundesliga watchers tell me if green is going to be in the bayern first team next season?

El-Manos

The USA didn't even start playing until 116 minutes into this game when Green scored. And if it hadn't been for Howard, Belgium would've been out of sight long ago. His heroics have put a completely different spin on the USA performance which was largely abject until that late push.
Exactly, fair play they played really well 2nd half of extra time but Belgium would have smashed them if it wasn't for Howard. 16 saves for God sake!! Hasn't happened in 50 years apparently

Silva

Yea during the World Cup the whole country suddenly gets a keen interest in game.
This is also true of most other countries. It happens with both the world cup and the Olympics. Millions of people watch the rowing at the Olympics but I doubt they bother taking the time to check out local competition.

Shurou

Contrary to many around here I thought that Bradley was tremendous, especially towards the end of the game. Great vision and movement. Very intelligent player, far from a poor man's Stephen Ireland.
Gutted for him, too, he was really driving us forward when everyone was teetering on the edge of succumbing to the fatigue. Couple of bad free kicks, that moment when he had two teammates to his left at the edge of the area and he inexplicably turned into a crowd, those moments unfortunately stand out a bit for me...

MarylandMUFan

The USA didn't even start playing until 116 minutes into this game when Green scored. And if it hadn't been for Howard, Belgium would've been out of sight long ago. His heroics have put a completely different spin on the USA performance, which was largely abject until that late push. You can't even say they defended well, because Belgium created so many chances.
I agree. We were shit for 95 minutes. I hate that we packed it in so deep in our defensive third the entire game except for a few odd breaks.

beergod

If you gave a team as talented as England that belief and desire, they could win the World Cup. We just don't have the talent at this point in time.

alastair

ignorant
Yep, fairness and top class sporting behaviour and desire. Strange with the manager they have who was a right cheating cnut.
I know, maybe he's atoning for it.

Their attitude and sportsmanlike behaviour has been a credit to them in this tournament. No dives, no surrounding the referee, just pure footballing endeavour.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well I'm going to give the US nothing but praise - and Belgium too for that matter - as they both took part in a fecking superb game of football. Probably second or third best of the tournament so far.

That extra time... Jesus.

Kaos

WUM I am an American and I thought they damn well played pretty well the whole tournament. I am a huge fan of Utd, the EPL and English ale. Perhaps you should direct your anger and a vastly underachieving England squad instead of ranting on an overachieving USA squad.
I'm not English so I don't care about the English NT either.

It was just tedious hearing the BBC wank themselves silly over the unrelenting, "fighting, American spirit" whereas in truth Belgium should have put the game to bed by half time were it not for Tim Howard playing like he was on anabolic steroids prescribed by Bane. And this desperate attempt to get Americans to love football - leave them be FFS, no one cares.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I know, maybe he's atoning for it.

Their attitude and sportsmanlike behaviour has been a credit to them in this tournament. No dives, no surrounding the referee, just pure footballing endeavour.
Yes they have played their part in making this a great World Cup.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
By the way, Kompany is the best centre back in the world. Anyone who says Thiago Silva :nono:

onemanarmy

In my perception (probably wrong, cause I'm wasted), we were 10 times better. I actually cried at the end of the game.

Credit to Howard, amazing game.

This is the Belgian team I want to see.

jaimoe

If you gave a team as talented as England that belief and desire, they could win the World Cup. We just don't have the talent at this point in time.
I think the English only need a proper manager to bring them along. They have a shitload of young talent and some quality vets, they just lack direction and on some level belief. A proper manager that could get them to believe again and anything is possible. The Euros will be the time for England to make a statement to the world.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
And if it wasn't for missing open chances the US would have tied it. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.
Bit of a daft post. People were talking about the quality of the performance. We all know it can be a very cruel game and one team can absolutely batter another team for the whole match and then lose to a set piece or a mistake at the other end. The point being, Tim Howard's heroics and the last 15 minute push masked, what was in reality, a pretty terrible performance.

It was dramatic and exciting because they nearly got away with it.

ctp

can bundesliga watchers tell me if green is going to be in the bayern first team next season?
Don't think he'll get many minutes. Bayern have Robben, Ribery, Müller, Götze, Shaqiri for his position. I'd guess that he'll continue playing for the second team most of the time or maybe he'll go on loan.

beergod

I think the English only need a proper manager to bring them along. They have a shitload of young talent and some quality vets, they just lack direction and on some level belief. A proper manager that could get them to believe again and anything is possible. The Euros will be the time for England to make a statement to the world.
We had Klinsmann, ask our resident Bayern fans if he is a proper manager.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports

It was just tedious hearing the BBC wank themselves silly over the unrelenting, "fighting, American spirit" whereas in truth Belgium should have put the game to bed by half time were it not for Tim Howard playing like he was on anabolic steroids prescribed by Bane. And this desperate attempt to get Americans to love football - leave them be FFS, no one cares.
:lol: Quality rant.

7th level red

i think england could do a lot worse than hiring benitez to become manager to be honest.

jaimoe

Bit of a daft post. People were talking about the quality of the performance. We all know it can be a very cruel game and one team can absolutely batter another team for the whole match and then lose to a set piece or a mistake at the other end. The point being, Tim Howard's heroics and the last 15 minute push masked, what was in reality, a pretty terrible performance.

It was dramatic and exciting because they nearly got away with it.
Whenever I read "if it wasn't for_________" I laugh. We have a saying here "shoulda,woulda,coulda"....if this happened we coulda, if that happened we woulda, we shoulda...> They don't apply, the match was what it was. A terrible performance from the US in the final 16, and that terrible performance goes to extra time and a thrilling half hour? We'll take it. It beats not being there by a country mile.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
I agree that we just need a proper manager. People say the players just aren't good enough but lets clearly not true. We are just perennial sufferers of crap tactics and a lack of proper team spirit. We'll get stuffed at the Euros with Hodgson in charge.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

Obviously you do

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Whenever I read "if it wasn't for_________" I laugh. We have a saying here "shoulda,woulda,coulda"....if this happened we coulda, if that happened we woulda, we shoulda...> They don't apply, the match was what it was. A terrible performance from the US in the final 16, and that terrible performance goes to extra time and a thrilling half hour? We'll take it. It beats not being there by a country mile.
I agree it's better to be there and lose, than not to be there at all. But your saying still doesn't fit the discussion that was being had.

Status
Not open for further replies.