Day 2: England vs Iran | Senegal vs Netherlands | USA vs Wales

Dazzmondo

Feeling England 1-1 Iran, USA 0-0 Wales, and Netherlands winning with 2 late goals.

avgp_1

Iran could have been tight but the situation surrounding their team isn't ideal, don't know how many of the fans have travelled. A 2-0 England win

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Van Gaal confirmed today Gakpo will start for NL tomorrow and by the looks of it Andries Noppert (yes, who?) will by our starting goalkeeper this tournament...

That leaves one open unconfirmed spot for tomorrow, which is who will play alongside Frenkie de Jong in midfield.. Will be either Koopmeiners or Berghuis. Vincent Janssen wil start as Memphis is nog ready to start yet after his injury.

--------------Noppert----------------
-----Timber--VVD--Ake---------
Dumfries--------------------Blind
--Bhuis/Kmeiners-Frenkie--
-----------------Gakpo----------------
---------Bergwijn--Janssen-----

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Van Gaal confirmed today Gakpo will start for NL tomorrow and by the looks of it Andries Noppert (yes, who?) will by our starting goalkeeper this tournament...

That leaves one open unconfirmed spot for tomorrow, which is who will play alongside Frenkie de Jong in midfield.. Will be either Koopmeiners or Berghuis. Vincent Janssen wil start as Memphis is nog ready to start yet after his injury.

--------------Noppert----------------
-----Timber--VVD--Ake---------
Dumfries--------------------Blind
--Bhuis/Kmeiners-Frenkie--
-----------------Gakpo----------------
---------Bergwijn--Janssen-----
Why not De Ligt & De Vrij next to VVD in that back 3?

Pintu

Am I wrong to think that England vs Iran will likely be an u2.5 goals game?
You never know, Iran players have to be torn between playing and handling what's happening at home with the ongoing protests and repression... If they are in that mode, Kane would happily statpad against them, he thrives against poor opposition.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
This is my favourite part of the WC - 3 games a day!!

Cantonagotmehere

I think the USA will cause Wales a lot of problems and actually win. Can't believe I feel that way, but I do. England handle Iran 3-0.

Since I was a kid in lat 70's and 80's I always rooted for the Dutch for some reason and have kept going, it was probably the kits..... I hope Senegal win though, feel awful that Mane is out.

MalaysianRed7

Really hope that Harry’s lack of match fitness and form doesn’t cost himself and England tomorrow, especially 1v1 against Taremi or Azmoun on the counter. The straw he can clutch to is that he was actually very good the last time he played, against West Ham. Otherwise, England should be fine. The only other problem is that Iran will be more well-adapted to the heat.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
England 1-1 Iran
Senegal 1-2 Holland
USA 0-1 Wales

RedDevilRoshi

Reckon England & United States will win their games narrowly by the one goal and Netherlands to beat Senegal comfortably by two or possibly three.

ryansgirl

England 1-1 Iran
Senegal 1-2 Holland
USA 0-1 Wales
Agree that 2 of those are likely but I still think the USA is going to cause some surprises this tournament. The `soccer` playing demographic in that country is impressive and has resulted in far more talent and quality available.

I want England to win the World Cup despite my dislike of Gareth Cronygate but I think they will be found wanting yet again in that basic international football skill that many other international teams can do well regardless of far less money and privilege in their leagues - being able to knock the ball around, successfully hold it and complete their passes until there is an opening to score.

England just cannot do that consistently enough to win international or European tournaments.

ryansgirl

Really hope that Harry’s lack of match fitness and form doesn’t cost himself and England tomorrow, especially 1v1 against Taremi or Azmoun on the counter. The straw he can clutch to is that he was actually very good the last time he played, against West Ham. Otherwise, England should be fine. The only other problem is that Iran will be more well-adapted to the heat.
Harry has been found wanting time and time again in the Premier League and has done too much bench warming for United to be able to deliver in the World Cup. His selection at the expense of better players was appalling and England will pay for that.

As for the heat. we all know England aren`t good in it. That plus not being able to hold onto the ball at crucial times might very well see Iran draw or even get a 1-0 result. I hope not.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
England are perennial slow starters. The Iran game has draw written all over it.

I feel Senagal might shock the Dutch. I remember that night in 2002 when they beat the French. Different teams but I’d assume this bunch have the same underdog fighting spirit about them.

432JuanMata

Being from Ireland the worst part about watching England of the years is the hype from the media and fans but this World Cup there doesn’t seem to be much hype or expectation which is a bit weird due to the squad they have.

Southgate really must be so bad that he can even make the media and fans not expect much with the squad they have. I feel England beat Iran 3-0

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Being from Ireland the worst part about watching England of the years is the hype from the media and fans but this World Cup there doesn’t seem to be much hype or expectation which is a bit weird due to the squad they have.

Southgate really must be so bad that he can even make the media and fans not expect much with the squad they have. I feel England beat Iran 3-0
It's because they haven't won their last 6 games, got hammered by Hungary 4-0, and struggle both offensively and defensively. And a lot of their team is out of form.

432JuanMata

It's because they haven't won their last 6 games, got hammered by Hungary 4-0, and struggle both offensively and defensively. And a lot of their team is out of form.
Yeah but still France had a poor Nations League and still expect something from them. As I said England have some cracking players and while Southgate is a mug I still expect them to ease this group

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah but still France had a poor Nations League and still expect something from them. As I said England have some cracking players and while Southgate is a mug I still expect them to ease this group
People expecting a good performance from France are equally the ones who just haven't been paying attention to them since the last world cup win. It's like Germany with Low since their 2014 win. A prolonged wait until the manager was replaced, and now Germany are among the favourites for me again. France will be favourites for the next tournament with Zidane, but with Deschamps? Nah. Waste of a tournament this for them. Same with England and Portugal using Southgate and Santos. They've all gone past the point of grinding things out and now it's just hoping the players can overcome the shite coaching.

432JuanMata

People expecting a good performance from France are equally the ones who just haven't been paying attention to them since the last world cup win. It's like Germany with Low since their 2014 win. A prolonged wait until the manager was replaced, and now Germany are among the favourites for me again. France will be favourites for the next tournament with Zidane, but with Deschamps? Nah. Waste of a tournament this for them. Same with England and Portugal using Southgate and Santos. They've all gone past the point of grinding things out and now it's just hoping the players can overcome the shite coaching.
I’m not saying France will win it or any team from Europe but I don’t base it on international friendlies and Nations League. No European team has looked great prior to this WC maybe Holland but I don’t expect much from them. Argentina and Brazil are favourites for me and I’m not saying England will have a great chance to win it just that the negativity from there fans even vs Iran is a bit weird

NoPace

I get 1998 vibes from this US squad, thinking Wales will eek out a 1-0 win and that will set the tone for the US. Bale might even show up for more than a few minutes and put in a performance. Maybe I will be wrong but they are so underwhelming and the back four and keeper inspire no confidence. The US will need the midfield to standout to get anything positive in group play. But who's gonna put the ball in the net?
Yeah I bet fairly heavy (for my standards) against them. Weak at striker, back line is slow and a young midfield forced to carry the load seems like they could really struggle to keep Wales and Iran from hurting them on the counter when they push up and England should just have too much for them.

My big worry is the keeper Turner (hasn't seen much action in England but his stats are pretty incredible), he might ruin my bets with a Tim Howard against Belgium type shot stopping performance in one of the games.

Also they might just be too quick for Iran in midfield, but Quieroz should have his lads playing on the counter and making players like Adams and McKennie pass in midfield isn't their best quality. They seem like they'd have been better suited to more of a wide open group than a bunch of angry veterans and England.

slored1

My result and scorer predictions:
England - Iran 2:0 (Kane pen, Rashford)
Netherlands - Senegal 2:1 (Bergwijn, Janssen - Dieng)
USA - Wales 1-1 (Pulisic - Moore)

SunnyGlasgow

I don't think England will get out the group stage, Iran will be used to playing in heat as will US, Wales will be more up for it than England

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
My result and scorer predictions:
England - Iran 2:0 (Kane pen, Rashford)
Netherlands - Senegal 2:1 (Bergwijn, Janssen - Dieng)
USA - Wales 1-1 (Pulisic - Moore)
Kane (pen) is always a safe bet.

Southgate is shite and currently so are England. This will probably be a draw and England will go out in the group stage. I think that will probably be the end of him and his shite football.

Tibs

Senegal v Holland should be a top game, hope the Dutch do well for LvG

England should get 3 or 4 v Iran if we're on it.

USA v Wales...hope Bale rips them a new one

Tibs

Going to be about 27/28 degrees when we play

PoTMS

Question for England fans- is losing to France in the quarter finals enough to get Southgate sacked?

Robindinho

If reports are to be believed, sounds like...

Pickford

Trippier Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice
Bellingham Mount

Saka Kane Sterling

At least it's not a back 3/5.

saivet

Question for England fans- is losing to France in the quarter finals enough to get Southgate sacked?
It depends on the manner of the defeat. Get hammered or completely outplayed then maybe, tight game that we lose, no.

Go out in the group or R16 to Senegal, Ecuador or Qatar and a possible sacking too.

I think it's more likely he walks than gets sacked in any case though.

Ramos

That XI doesn't look spectacular, but frankly none of the national teams do these days.

Used to have national teams with like 9 or 10 stars in their XI.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m not English but surprised at people saying they might struggle to get out of this group.

With the players they’ve got (even allowing for Southgate and his handbrake, careful now, football), they should walk it.
Given the heat and Southgate’s negative tactics, I’m expecting England to start slow and cagey and struggle to step the tempo up when needed. It’s going to be 1-1 or 1-0.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Pickford

Rice
Bellingham Mount

Saka Kane Sterling

That left side looks tragic.

PoTMS

I really don't see it with Mount. He's literally the poster boy of Southgate's negative tactics. At least with Sterling, you can argue his case in the XI in that he's done it for England before.

hp88

Pickford

Rice
Bellingham Mount

Saka Kane Sterling

That side is good engough to get us through the groups but I would have gone for Rashford over Sterling and White over Maguire, we have actaully got a decent bench so hoping we will see some rotation between games.