Day 2: England vs Iran | Senegal vs Netherlands | USA vs Wales

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
People expecting a good performance from France are equally the ones who just haven't been paying attention to them since the last world cup win. It's like Germany with Low since their 2014 win. A prolonged wait until the manager was replaced, and now Germany are among the favourites for me again. France will be favourites for the next tournament with Zidane, but with Deschamps? Nah. Waste of a tournament this for them. Same with England and Portugal using Southgate and Santos. They've all gone past the point of grinding things out and now it's just hoping the players can overcome the shite coaching.
Agree that France have been totally unconvincing since 2018. I think it's a slightly different scenario than Germany in 2018 (or the likes of Brazil in 2006 or France in 2002) where the squad was no longer as strong, or certainly strong enough to overcome said shite coaching.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Any leaked line ups?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is how I'd play:
Pickford
Walker - Stones - Maguire - White - Shaw
Rice - Bellingham
Grealish
Rashford - Kane

Grealish to roam free and do his creative thing and Kane/Rashford to make runs in behind. The likes of Sterling and Henderson won't cut.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Agree that France have been totally unconvincing since 2018. I think it's a slightly different scenario than Germany in 2018 (or the likes of Brazil in 2006 or France in 2002) where the squad was no longer as strong, or certainly strong enough to overcome said shite coaching.
Problem is that France have so may injuries that the squad is not that strong now.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
England will definitely advance from the group stage.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m expecting Saka to have a great tournament.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hope Rashford can come on from the bench and do the business

avgp_1

Reading through the Iran players interviews before the game they seem to be quite unfazed by the events back home. Could be a tight game if they are up for it and have crowd support going.

Their results are pretty impressive leading into the games, win against Uruguay and a draw with Senegal.

Pronewbie

Peep
Thought it was interesting that Iran beat a pretty much full-strength Uruguay in a friendly 3 months ago despite being outmatched in other stats like possession, shots on target and so on.. Still think England have too much in their locker but I'd love to see an upset or 2 in the 1st week of matches.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Southgate just plays favourites at this point. It was refreshing when he started because he gave some younger lads a chance, now he just plays the same XI in spite of club form.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'm seeing rumors of infantano sitting next to MBS of Saudi Arabia during this match.

They can't award 2030 to SA can they?

I feel Uefa and conmebol and concacaf would just leave at that point.
Isn't it a joint bid of Egypt, Greece and Saudi Arabia?

That said, 2030 is the centennial, it should be awarded to Uruguay. Include Argentina in it as well if Uruguay alone won't suffice.

saivet

Probably wouldn't have had Mount or Maguire starting but not surprised or that annoyed by the line up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Oh boo hoo, it's not fair for the players Alan. Try being gay in Qatar.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not horrendous but just Foden instead of Sterling and Ramsdale instead of Pickford would be markedly better.
Pickford for the majority of this season has been really good. Ramsdale has looked shocking for England whereas Pickford has been one of their best players.

PoTMS

It's not horrendous but just Foden instead of Sterling and Ramsdale instead of Pickford would be markedly better.
Agreed on Foden but not sure about Ramsdale - he has been really dodgy for England.