Day 2: Spain vs. Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyricist

Well, only Reus would have been a starter anyway. Gundogan probably would have played a part but it was known that he'll miss anyway. Not sure that half of those others would have been called even if they weren't injured (like Ter Stegen who wasn't called).
Many German fans would've wanted Gündogan to start as well. Had he not been injured for a year straight he should've started. Bender would've arguably been the replacement for unfit Khedira and Schweinsteiger in CM this World Cup, so he could've started as well. But seeing as Lars also got injured his brother Sven would've moved up the pecking order. But he's also out. Badstuber could've been a starter as well. If all are fit, I think it's between Hummels, Boateng, and him. Mertesacker only has the experience bonus if you ask me. Gomez started at the Euros. Depending on his season he could've been a starter. Considering Klose might not be fit, he would have had even better chances to start. But he also was out basically all year.
Reus would've been our star player this year. Him missing sucks the most. Thing is, since 2010 or even 2012, so many interesting new players have broke through the ranks in German football, but Löw either won't start them or they're injured. Basically these new players were the ones that got most German fans excited. The fact that we'll start an 11 that's not necessarily better than last time despite the player pool being a lot better is extremely depressing.

But back to topic, where were we?

Revan

Assumptionman
Many German fans would've wanted Gündogan to start as well. Had he not been injured for a year straight he should've started. Bender would've arguably been the replacement for unfit Khedira and Schweinsteiger in CM this World Cup, so he could've started as well. But seeing as Lars also got injured his brother Sven would've moved up the pecking order. But he's also out. Badstuber could've been a starter as well. If all are fit, I think it's between Hummels, Boateng, and him. Mertesacker only has the experience bonus if you ask me. Gomez started at the Euros. Depending on his season he could've been a starter. Considering Klose might not be fit, he would have had even better chances to start. But he also was out basically all year.
Reus would've been our star player this year. Him missing sucks the most. Thing is, since 2010 or even 2012, so many interesting new players have broke through the ranks in German football, but Löw either won't start them or they're injured. Basically these new players were the ones that got most German fans excited. The fact that we'll start an 11 that's not necessarily better than last time despite the player pool being a lot better is extremely depressing.

But back to topic, where were we?
I think that Reus is the best German player, but not sure if he is the most important German player. Low always had Ozil as his star player.

I really doubt that Gundogan - Bender would have been starting if they were fit above Khedira and Schweinsteiger.

Gomez started on the groups but then on KO, Klose started above him.

Still there are quite a few losses - even if they aren't players who would have been starting. Likely the team that has lost more good/great players because of injuries.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
tbf to spain if they did win all that they did on drugs then it is some achievement. Ive played football on drugs many times and it hasn't worked out near as well :p
:D Don't know if drugs bought from some shady dealer are a good idea to perform better in sports mate.

Are you Spanish of British by the way?

Lyricist

I think that Reus is the best German player, but not sure if he is the most important German player. Low always had Ozil as his star player.

I really doubt that Gundogan - Bender would have been starting if they were fit above Khedira and Schweinsteiger.

Gomez started on the groups but then on KO, Klose started above him.

Still there are quite a few losses - even if they aren't players who would have been starting. Likely the team that has lost more good/great players because of injuries.
Klose only started against Greece if I remember right. But even that was only because Löw likes him. Remember Gomez's 2 goals vs the Netherlands and 1 goal vs Portugal? He also gave the assist to Germany's first goal vs Denmark. He played great in the group stage, yet Löw started Klose against Greece.

Özil, despite being incredible, isn't the most important player. For me the most important one is the one who can either win a game on his own, or the one who can carry the team. Özil does neither of those things for Germany usually. I'd argue Müller, and Lahm are the most important players for Germany. That said, I wasn't saying most important player for the team. I was saying star player. Qualitywise he's simply the best German player there is right now, so losing him is ridiculously unfortunate. Think about the drop in quality...we had Reus, now Löw will probably start Podolski once again (wtf).

With Khedira not being fit and Schweinsteiger and Kroos not working in a double pivot because they're too similar, there's a huge chance Bender would've played an important role. Lahm even got moved to DM because of Khedira not being fit. Bender could've been Khedira's replacement. Gündogan when fit is twice the player Khedira is. He was getting a lot of playing time, started games, and was looking good for Germany. Had Gündogan's last season been anywhere close to his 12/13 season, he could've possibly been Germany's best CM. Khedira as a player is a lot worse than Schweinsteiger, Kroos, and Gündogan anyway.

Just watched another replay of that fifth goal. Absolutely incredible by Robben, the way he skins Ramos and Casillas there! I thought people were worried about the climate. It didn't seem to affect Robben at all though.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
So who's better : Robben or Bergkamp? A mate asked me this and I honestly feel like Robben suprassed him already. But people may pick Berg by 90s overration as usual

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Last nights result was very encouraging for United. LVG is clearly a manager who gets the most out of the players at his disposal, a positive type.

SMYLIE19

Last nights result was very encouraging for United. LVG is clearly a manager who gets the most out of the players at his disposal, a positive type.
I don't know how much of LvG's Holland you've seen, but I've seen very little, so I'm trying very hard to be too encouraged at this point. I felt it was more interesting than encouraging. LvG is known to have a "system" that his players must fit into, rather than pick a system depending on the players, which is why watching Holland change from a 5-4-1 in defence to a 4-3-3 in attack was fantastic.

I don't think there'll be much resemblance between the tactics last night and how United will play. We don't need to have 5 at the back for most games in the PL (plus it'd involve having 3/3 CBs all fit, and Rafael and Shaw/Buttner as Evra's legs barely get him up and down the pitch these days. It worked last night due to the versatility of Blind, he can slot in at LB, LWB, LM, LW and even CM at a second's notice, and it made fantastic watching, Robben going from being alongside Sneijder behind RvP to being a RW, Sneijder dropping to be a #10 with van Pizzle up top. Was just fantastic.

But I agree with you in that he seems good at getting the best out of the players he has. He took a team that lost every Euro 2012 match to qualify unbeaten and then beat the World Champions 5-1, hard not feel a little excited. I like that he kept the same big names in (Robben, RvP, Sneijder, van der Vaart would've been but for injury) but changed a lot of the smaller names (Vorm/Stekelenburg for Cilissen) brought in Blind, Janmaat, Vlaar etc.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Worst thing about the World Cup are the kneejerk reactions after every single game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So who's better : Robben or Bergkamp? A mate asked me this and I honestly feel like Robben suprassed him already. But people may pick Berg by 90s overration as usual
Players from the past always get the edge because people tend to only remember their best attributes, whereas those in the current have to deal with their recent form, results, personality quirks ("Robben is a cnut") etc. All things said, I'd say Robben is a slightly better player.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not a straightforward comparison because they are such different players. Robben's a false right winger, Bergkamp a shadow striker. Robben's game is all about devastating pace, Bergkamp's was all about his killer touch.

Bloedrood

Can you imagine if English commentators acted like that? They'd get slated for being biased and arrogant.
I can only say as a Dutchie, why wouldn't I want to hear that kind of commentating. I love it. The guy's been doing it for a long time too, his commentating on Bergkamp's goal in 1998 against Argentina is legendary in my country:

Just before Frank de Boer delivers the cross to Bergkamp the commentator says: I suddenly have a feeling we're going to reach the semis. Then Bergkamp scores the winner in the last seconds of the game. Absolute bliss.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can you imagine if English commentators acted like that? They'd get slated for being biased and arrogant.
I find that strange. They're English, watching England. They should be allowed to properly support their country and regardless, it's English people primarily watching bbc/itv so I don't see why people would slate them.

louvega

You should listen to spanish commentary: pure hooliganism, bias and arrogance.

They weren't so arrogant at the end of the game yesterday, it was glorious :lol:

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah and Benzema is the worst striker Real ever had. I know where you are coming from.

Even as a german i was rooting for Holland. Mainly because Robben is my favorite player and he needed justice for 2010.

Robben's the third or maybe even second best player in the world when 100% fit.

Our defense is probably our biggest weakness aswell. ;)
On paper Brazil have the best defense. But they struggled in the first match. Italy is always good at defending too.
Lol you are not German if you are rooting for Holland , sorry , you just cant be. And for Benzema, no doubt about it ;)

Moriarty

I can only say as a Dutchie, why wouldn't I want to hear that kind of commentating. I love it. The guy's been doing it for a long time too, his commentating on Bergkamp's goal in 1998 against Argentina is legendary in my country:

Just before Frank de Boer delivers the cross to Bergkamp the commentator says: I suddenly have a feeling we're going to reach the semis. Then Bergkamp scores the winner in the last seconds of the game. Absolute bliss.
Great stuff. Can't imagine Motson ever losing it like that.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
This was an absolutely amazing match. No one could have predicted this. I did think before the match we would get a result, but never in a million years dreamt about a result like this.

The first half was pretty poor and we were lucky to still be in it. We gave away way too much space and Spain should have finished us. Vlaar was very good and kept the defense together whilst De Vrij and Martins Indi were all over the place. We were a little unlucky with the penalty which wasn´t one. Nevertheless we could/should have been behind by more than one goal. Then out of the blue there was that absolutely brilliant goal. Fantastic ball in by Blind and stunning header by RVP. Will definitely be in there for goal of the tournament until the end. Fabulous goal to get us back into the match.

The second half was just beyond belief. It just couldn't get better, until the last 5/10 minutes in which we could have scored another one or two goals. But we absolutely dominated Spain in the second half. Robben is an absolute beast. Two brilliant goals.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves though. Chili might do to us what we did to Spain. Nevertheless this is already more than we have expected this world cup. Absolutely brilliant match.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Lol you are not German if you are rooting for Holland , sorry , you just cant be. And for Benzema, no doubt about it ;)
Almost every Bayern fan i know was rooting for Holland. ;) Just because we wish the very best for Robben as long as they don't play against us. And we still like Van Gaal. He did a lot for us.

Teams i never would root for are the likes of Italy and England. And atm Spain of course.

matecro007

Looks like Robben is unofficially fastest man in history of football with his 37 km/h in a game with Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.