Day 26: England vs Croatia Waist Coat Semi-Final

What is 'coming home'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
This is a big difference between England and most other countries I’ve been to. In The Netherlands virtually everyone cheers for anyone wearing the orange. I dont care if our captain plays for Ajax or Psv, that’s just his day job.

Though Dutch clubs have nothing international to play for I suppose. Though it wasnt much different in the 90s.
I am not English though. Of course you should expect that Englishmen cheer for England, but people from other countries who support an English club don't have to cheer for England, and might find the NT unlikeable or root against! Englishmen demanding that other people should cheer for England is a bit weird. Or better saying, stupid.

Treble

The lengths you anti-England lot will go in order to diminish our national team's achievement in this world cup is incredible. At least our country was represented in the world cup and actually done themselves proud.
I'm stating facts, not distorting them.

England did very well though. And the fans should be proud of this team. It's young and may become even better.

Reiver

Not when the team has United players in though surely? I will want France to win on Sunday for Pogba
Me too.
There’s a difference between not supporting and gloating. I find the latter a bit weird.
I agree with you there. Been gutted too many times in football to come on here and take the piss. Too many posters I like and respect on here to do that.

bdspeedy

Typical nonsense. There's lots of reasons to leave the EU. Nothing to do with nationalism. We didn't elect the EU, but we have to follow their laws? That's not democracy. feck those communists.
HaHa. You voted to MEGA (Make England Great Again). These lads got you off to a start. They just couldn't quite get over the finish line. England for Euro 2020.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I haven't been following the thread so this has probably all been said already. As an Irish man I'm surprised at how bad I feel for England - was properly shouting for them throughout this competiiton.

At the end of the day, you had the best midfield on the tournament against Jordan Henderson. Then they took him off for Eric Dier while they brought on Kovacic to play alongside Modric and Rakitic. When England needed to create they simply didn't have enough.

A brilliantly run campaign by Southgate and his team but ultimately, England didn't have the quality in the middle of the field when it mattered. Southgate deserves four more years to bring the quality coming through into this fold.

Pickford, Trippier, Maguire, Walker, Henderson, Lingard and Kane had quality campaigns and will all be stronger for future tournaments, with hopefully a bit more spark from talents like Gomes, Foden, Alexander-Arnold, Cook, Sessegnon, Sancho and others coming through.

Well done England. You should all be very proud of that side.
Well said mate. Much appreciated.

Woodzy

Keane has such a winners mentality. It’s a shame he’s an absolute mentalist as well.

Decade long lurker

I know it’s no consolation but the English players can hold their heads high. Low expectations coming in to the tournament but were 20 minutes from reaching final. Didn’t capitalize on first half chances and eventually the midfield/experience was the difference. A mostly young side that will improve

Reactions: SteveJ

Marat

A good plan would have been to let Vardy play instead of Lindgard. I don't understand why Sterling didn't end the game as well.

R'hllor

I am from Kosovo and I think that together with Kuipers, he is the best in business. He is also one of four UEFA referees who is still in the competition (the others are Cakir, Rocchi and Kuipers) so I guess that UEFA rates him as one of their top 4 refs. And there has been a tradition that who referees UCL (current year or the year before) final, refs also WC/Euros competition. Webb, Clattenburg, Proenca, Rizzoli did all that, so the starts are aligned for Mazic.

Of course, Croatia being in final, makes it less likely.
Dunno, sometimes he is giving me that yes man vibe, ofc no proof or anything like that. If its because language thing then it would be strange i mean wasnt German ref on Swiss vs Serbia game, actually scratch that, Swiss German is far away from being German imo :)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I am not English though. Of course you should expect that Englishmen cheer for England, but people from other countries who support an English club don't have to cheer for England, and might find the NT unlikeable or root against! Englishmen demanding that other people should cheer for England is a bit weird. Or better saying, stupid.
Oh yeah it doesnt go for non English United fans ofcourse. Lots of reasons to aupport a club. Being in your country osnt the only one.

Delano

Southgate got it wrong. Playing Henderson by himself against that midfield was suicide and he compounded the issue by bringing Dier on as a straight swap.

Zero control, overrun in midfield and a lump it and hope mentality when no one showed for the ball. So frustrating.

kidbob

I try so hard to feel sorry for England but then I remember all the times that a United player has been shit on for their failings.

So all in all :lol:.

C'mon Croatia in the final, you guys rock.

Revan

Assumptionman
Dunno, sometimes he is giving me that yes man vibe, ofc no proof or anything like that. If its because language thing then it would be strange i mean wasnt German ref on Swiss vs Serbia game, actually scratch that, Swiss German is far away from being German imo :)
I don't think that language should be a problem. And while I think that he can handle it, mistakes happen. It would be so bad both for Croatia and for him if some mistake costs Croatia the match (or they felt like that). I mean it is Balkans, people are crazy by default and then shit might happen, it could well be his last game.

Hoof the ball

That's why I think excluding Wilshere was a bad decision.

Also the subs in this game were poor. Ali was doing nothing on the pitch yet he played on and Henderson who was spraying the ball better took out for a more defensive lesser passer dier. Even Rashfords introduction dint help much as he does not look polished one bit and sterlings creativity looked more threatening than Rashfords runs.
Right? Henderson would not turn on the ball for love or money. Every time received he'd pass it right back to the keeper without turning his head. If you can't turn and drive into space behind you then trying to play him in a possession system is a waste of time.

cyberman

Keane was spot on. That's a winner talking.
Wright acting like he was just happy to be there is a terrible mentality to have for a sportsman.

Acole9

Outstanding
Wright had some brave pills there, I wouldn't dare argue with Keane, he's scary haha. When he said "Relax yourself" :lol:.

Revan

Assumptionman
Typical nonsense. There's lots of reasons to leave the EU. Nothing to do with nationalism. We didn't elect the EU, but we have to follow their laws? That's not democracy. feck those communists.
Remind me the English anthem again. I guess it is:

God save our elected Queen!
Long live our elected Queen!
God save the elected Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the elected Queen.
O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all! .

R'hllor

I don't think that language should be a problem. And while I think that he can handle it, mistakes happen. It would be so bad both for Croatia and for him if some mistake costs Croatia the match (or they felt like that). I mean it is Balkans, people are crazy by default and then shit might happen, it could well be his last game.
Yea i know. Think they will go with someone else, just to avoid whole pre/during/after game nonsense.

El Zoido

Silver lining is that I don’t have to listen to all the “it’s coming home” pricks anymore. If that shite dies a horrible death then this will all have been worth it. But you know that next WC we’ll beat Tonga with a last minute penalty and it’ll start up all over again.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Southgate struggled to make the big calls when the game needed them.

Kane offered next to nothing after half time.
Alli offered nothing throughout.
Sterling was having his best game.
I don't think you can take off your captain and best player in Kane. You'd want him on for penalties at the least.

But I very much agree that Rashford should have replaced Alli and not Sterling. Alli was poor and Sterling was as you say, having his best game