Day 3: England vs Croatia | Austria vs North Macedonia | Netherlands vs Ukraine

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Everyone seems to think they are smarter than Southgate but the picks most people disagreed with (Trippier, Phillips, Mings, Sterling) were all among England's better performers.

Not saying it was perfect but it was a sound performance and a deserved win.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Positives

Looked solid albeit against rubbish opposition
Very combative in the middle of the park.
Took the one big chance we made

Negative

Attackers didn't really turn up.
No threat down the wings.
Really should have won by more against that standard of opposition

Name Changed

weso26
His best performance of the season he said
He must have been fecking shite all season so.

Fair enough he got the goal and was good defensively towards the end, but he was average at best otherwise. Phillips was he best player. Mings did well. Bellingham when he came on.

predator

Youth NITK
Not the best performance but a win is a win in the group stages. I just have visions of a decent attacking team running rings around mings/stones.

Happy days.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Oh my god, they surely watched a different game.

Is this full on Nationalistic-Brexit-delusion TV ?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
So heavy watching England.
Bit like watching United for me.

Have a good team, play a cautious style and you think "speed this up, you'll do better". K-P makes one quick, direct run (he played well today) and all of a sudden, defence back peddling, space and a goal.

Kane, Mount, Rashford, Sancho, Foden, Sterling, Grealish, more.... that's a lot of good attacking talent to play cautiously.

But he won I guess.

Halftrack

Also, when Sterling was subbed the Norwegian co-commentator went "they're not only applauding his goal, but his great performance here today" and I had to laugh at that.

Yagami

Good post resistant
fecking hell, it was a bit dull, but a win is better than expected. You'd think we'd lost and picked up 11 injuries by the tone in here.
Yeah. I thought Croatia were favourites and they didn't have a sniff. Deserved praise today.

PoTMS

It's tournament football. A win is obviously the most important thing especially in your opening game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Honestly having watched Croatia play, they'll be lucky to qualify out of this group.
Similar to Turkey who seem to have the same fundamental issues - the XI appear to know how to obviously play on the ball, they’re all just a bit too slow

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
England ratings.

Pickford 6

Stones 6
Mings 7
Walker 6
Trippier 6

Rice 5
Phillips 8 MOTM
Mount 6

Sterling 6.5
Foden 6
Kane 5.5
===============
Rashford 5
Jude 5
DCL n/a
Harsh on Rice, who had a good game. Walker was easily our worst player, especially first half.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Everyone seems to think they are smarter than Southgate but the picks most people disagreed with (Trippier, Phillips, Mings, Sterling) were all among England's better performers.

Not saying it was perfect but it was a sound performance and a deserved win.
Sterling wasn't great but then none of our attackers were and he did score at least.

Trippier wasn't good. No threat going forward and wasn't doing much to stop crosses coming in down his side.

Mings and Phillips were good though.

MU655

How are you English and so robotic and cold about the nation you're from? Boring way to be, more boring than watching England that's for sure.
Watch a bit of Rugby Union, and you will see the difference in the level passion and commitment. The football team is really lacking; they play to the bare minimum.

Deery

Dreary
“Have you justified your selection”

What cnuty thing to ask…

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Watch a bit of Rugby Union, and you will see the difference in the level passion and commitment. The football team is really lacking; they play to the bare minimum.
:lol:

Redfrog

Yes, but England are hard to support. Too much arrogance, too much negativity, too little passion. Other teams put England to shame constantly, tournament after tournament.

Smaller national teams throw their all in, despite not having the best players. Can you say England did so today? No, we sat back and played the game as slow as possible.
I am not English but I can’t say I ever seen a likable english team.

But I don’t think it’s because they don’t try. Maybe there is too much pressure ? They seem almost afraid.

PoTMS

“Have you justified your selection”

What cnuty thing to ask…
Sterling was pretty shit today goal aside but what a stupid question. He's just scored the match winning goal.

diarm

Croatia looked like an old, tired team struggling out in the heat. That dodgy England backline won't have an easier afternoon in the tournament.

Thought Phillips and Mount were both excellent.

Why so touchy? You've been picking fights with anyone vaguely critical of how boring and shit England have been.
picking fights… :lol:

Why can’t people actually be positive. People will criticise everything.

fans will be delighted with the result.

very good game. The manager and the players didn’t deserve the criticism before a ball was even kicked.

OmarUnited4ever

First 20 mins good game from England and then the game went to shit, Phillips easily MOTM, Foden was meh aside from his goal attempt and Sterling was subpar but did well to finish and score, i hated the fact that Mount was fed enough passes through the lines when he moved into those pockets, defense was very solid and Rice did well to shield the back 4

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Listening to Sterling post-match, pretty much sounds like he's done at City...