g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Day 5: Germany vs. Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Is this another back five? Struggling to see anyone playing at left back other than Lahm, then Boateng right and three other centre halves. I was thinking perhaps Kroos and Khedira in front of the five, then Ozil behind Muller and Götze?

Khedira-Lahm
Höwedes-Hummels-Mertesacker-Boateng

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Its funny because even a good striker I.e Mandzukic, Jackson, Hernandez would transform this team into a top top side. Defensively great and a midfield who knows how to function properly.
Mate even Colombia or Uruguai´s second rate strikers that haven´t been called up would do wonders for us. Montero who plays for my team and wasn´t even called up for Colombia would improve us greatly. Lima from Benfica who comes from Brazil would fit like a glove in our team. Paulo Bento doesn´t fancy naturalized players though.

Lyricist

Is this another back five? Struggling to see anyone playing at left back other than Lahm, then Boateng right and three other centre halves. I was thinking perhaps Kroos and Khedira in front of the five, then Ozil behind Muller and Götze?
No it's a back 4 with 4 centre backs. No kidding!

red_7

Lahm to play defensive mid

4 centre backs in the back 4 !

scared by Ronaldo?

JefferiesTube

Will Moutinho, Meireles and Veloso offer enough of an attacking threat to support the forwards?

Dylan94

The itv commentator was an idiot too re the goal line technology too. Not as bad as Pearce though :lol:!

red_7

why don't play Portugal Ronaldo up front and Varela on the wing? Could that be an option?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Boateng really isn't that quick, or at least his acceleration isn't that great. IIRC Bayern conceeded only goal at Bernabeu because Coentrao outpaced him. But I don't think he will be problem for Germany anyway, I just don't think he is that quick as people are saying.
Fábio Coentrão is a very pacy player to be fair. Nothing to be shamed about it.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
why don't play Portugal Ronaldo up front and Varela on the wing? Could that be an option?
Because that system doesn´t work and limitates Ronaldo. About Varela, i take it you don´t know him at all mate :lol: Not good enough mate

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Just listening to SuperSport coverage of the World Cup where Giggs is working as an analyst for the tournament. They were talking about Germany playing Boateng and Howedes as full backs and Giggs said as a winger he always used to lick his lips when he sees the opposition team play centre backs as full backs as he could get at them and make it hard for them. Which begs the question why United constantly insist on using our CB's as full backs. I know its due to Rafa's injuries but we should get able backup in the squad to negate this.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No worries, neither has anyone on the planet.
:lol:

He must be great on training.

Anyway, I am glad Lahm isn't against Nani as last time(am I right?), even though Nani was still better than Ronaldo in that game.

DannyDash

Mate even Colombia or Uruguai´s second rate strikers that haven´t been called up would do wonders for us. Montero who plays for my team and wasn´t even called up for Colombia would improve us greatly. Lima from Benfica who comes from Brazil would fit like a glove in our team. Paulo Bento doesn´t fancy naturalized players though.
Ha absolutely and they're a level below too. Why is Lima trying to get in the Brazil squad when the Portigal number 9 is completely available for him??
He should go down the Liedson route

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Will Moutinho, Meireles and Veloso offer enough of an attacking threat to support the forwards?
That´s a very good question. Moutinho i don´t have any doubt about it. Regarding Meireles i don´t really know his form and didn´t follow him at Fenerbahce this year. I´m not a fan of Meireles but he has been a good servant of our national team. Should be his last competition. Veloso will focus mainly on defensive duty but he is a very good passer.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Just listening to SuperSport coverage of the World Cup where Giggs is working as an analyst for the tournament. They were talking about Germany playing Boateng and Howedes as full backs and Giggs said as a winger he always used to lick his lips when he sees the opposition team play centre backs as full backs as he could get at them and make it hard for them. Which begs the question why United constantly insist on using our CB's as full backs. I know its due to Rafa's injuries but we should get able backup in the squad to negate this.
In his 4 games as manager he played Smalling, Jones and Valencia at RB :lol:

Santos J

Because Varela is shite & either way playing our best player out of position would make no sense considering it would completely limit him.

Infra-red

Wrong. Nani hasn´t been inconsistent for us at all. I don´t argue about United but at our national team he is always one of the best, no doubt about it.
Nani hasn't been inconsistent for us at international level at all.
I will defer to your more extensive knowledge, but he has 1 goal and 3 assists in his last 18 appearances for the national side. I wasn't seeking to suggest that Portugal are a one-man team (far from it, the defence and midfield are very good) but in an attacking sense, Ronaldo has a lot of deficiencies to compensate for in my view.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Ha absolutely and they're a level below too. Why is Lima trying to get in the Brazil squad when the Portigal number 9 is completely available for him??
He should go down the Liedson route
They though about Lima but it was too late for that and i don´t think Paulo Bento likes naturalized players. He "accepted" Pepe because he was already there by other managers choices.

JefferiesTube

With Coentrao and Pereira very attacking FBs, Portugal might have Ronaldo and Almeida as strikers with Nani playing behind them. They have 2 CBs and 3 man midfield to defend against the very defensive German team

Lyricist

I hope Müller is fit today because with Götze, Kroos, and Özil around him he should get some wonderful passes. :wenger:

Forget Klose, maybe Müller is our new best shout to reach Ronaldo's 15 WC goals. :lol:

red_7

Ok, thought Portugal has better options on the wings than strikers. Didn't Ronaldo play as strike for a while in Madrid?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I will defer to your more extensive knowledge, but he has 1 goal and 2 assists in his last 18 appearances for the national side. I wasn't seeking to suggest that Portugal are a one-man team (far from it, the defence and midfield are very good) but in an attacking sense, Ronaldo has a lot of deficiencies to compensate for in my view.
I get your point mate. About Nani, it´s not just about the numbers. The reality is that he always performs in the big competitions for us. And that´s a fact.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
In his 4 games as manager he played Smalling, Jones and Valencia at RB :lol:
LOL exactly, but I just hope Nani tears Howedes a new one. If he has a good tournament and can stay fit he could be reborn for us under LVG.

Cina

RTÉ apparently think it's just Ronaldo v Germany.

mufcwarm92

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Do we know this for certain or is it just what the tv people think? It's be mental to play Höwedes at left back when he's never played there before.
He played there in the last friendly against Armenia and played well, scored a goal on top of that. Löw probably had a lot of training sessions for him.

Bobtu

Why are they still talking about England vs Italy 2 days later when there is a game on in 25 minutes that involves 2 world class teams?

Lyricist

Do we know this for certain or is it just what the tv people think? It's be mental to play Höwedes at left back when he's never played there before.

Löw has already said it'd happen about a week ago...only few people left complaining because we've had a week to get over it. It's gotten to the point where I have arranged myself with it despite it being a ridiculous choice most likely. :lol:

red_7

Portugal XI : Patricio, Alves, Pepe, Veloso, Coentrao, Ronaldo (c), Moutinho, Almeida, Meireles, Nani, Pereira.

Germany XI : Neuer, Howedes, Hummels, Khedira, Ozil, Muller, Lahm (c), Mertesacker, Kroos, Gotze, Boateng.

Status
Not open for further replies.