Day 5: Switzerland vs Cameroon | Uruguay vs South Korea | Portugal vs Ghana | Brazil vs Serbia

villain

Hates Beyoncé
All good points. Portugal's third goal could have been easily avoided, that was a bad mistake. I don't see what parking the bus like Ghana did was supposed to achieve. There is playing on the counter and there is what Ghana did in the first half.
It’s a brand new Ghana team and a brand new coach, I’m sure the goal of the first half was to stay in the game, then try and hit them on the counter like lower teams play against us for example. They haven’t had a bunch of time together, and we didn’t play well but we still managed to score 2 goals against a much stronger Portugal team, so we can build from there.
Until African teams have players in the best leagues at the best teams, we’re always going to have to sit & soak up the pressure against the biggest nations. It will take time, but hopefully we get there :)

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You could argue Brazil's bench is more balanced and could beat their starting 11:
Ederson
Alves - Militao - Bremer - Telles
Fabinho - Guimaraes
Antony - Rodrygo - Martinelli
Jesus​
Tite has his favorites rather than form

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Andre Ayew is really, he is an old head but he is clearly done starting games. Off the bench would be better for him
I was actually against him starting as shown below.

In that way, I would personally leave out Andre Ayew as far as the starting xl is concerned.

Although, I can certainly see why he was selected in the squad, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's in the starting berth. Why do I say this? If you take into consideration that at AFCON Milovan Rajevac didn't have senior options to call upon from the bench with perhaps the most notable example being against Gabon where Ghana were leading and there was no figurehead to marshal the troops, so he brought on the inexperienced risk adverse Edmund Addo in an effort to slow down the dynamic. With that in mind, Andre Ayew has a track record of being the captain when the Black Stars won the Fifa U20 World Cup, and was in the starting berth when Ghana almost made history of being the first African side to reach the semi-finals, in this way he's someone the players can look to for leadership. But in terms of tangibles, I quite like the tactical tweak during Ghana's game against Gabon which had A Ayew operating as the most central player of the front three. He was constantly scanning the pitch, dropping deep and making himself a passing option, playing the role of a false 9 momentarily. Its not going to happen, but I wouldn't be against 3 at the back so Lamptey would have the freedom to go on his marauding runs knowing there's cover behind him

fallengt

expect a win for Selecao but no way Serbia won't score against this defenders line .

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Mental how a backup winger for Tottenham is Brazil's #9 at a World Cup.

Football is strange these days. :(

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean... Militao/Bremer is a better pairing than Thiago Silva - Marquinhos in a back 4 IMO. Fullbacks garbage either way. Fabinho - Guimaraes vs Casemiro on an island behind 5 attackers? And then you still have a great front 4 (nothing between Antony and Raphinha IMO, Jesus is better than Richarlison IMO, but Neymar and Vini fair enough are world class).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Thats because everyone assumed he’d be great because of stats and accolades but the people who watched him play knew he would be a solid and serviceable option but not the world beater he was being touted as. It was being said as much all throughout his transfer thread but no one would listen.
Well, why does it matter what we all in the Caf are saying, though?

Canagel

I mean... Militao/Bremer is a better pairing than Thiago Silva - Marquinhos in a back 4 IMO. Fullbacks garbage either way. Fabinho - Guimaraes vs Casemiro on an island behind 5 attackers? And then you still have a great front 4 (nothing between Antony and Raphinha IMO, Jesus is better than Richarlison IMO, but Neymar and Vini fair enough are world class).
The starting fullbacks are more than fine. Danilo and Alex Sandro are part of a defence that have shipped only 7 goals in Serie A.
Paqueta is supposedly a different player for Brazil and forms a strong partnership with Casemiro.

This line up plays to all of the strengths with maybe Richarlison as the only questionable starter.

arnie_ni

Duno if it has been discussed much but how big a call was going with allison vs ederson for anyone that follows Brazil?

I think he's the better keeper imo

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
From an aesthetic standpoint I'm disappointed Jesus isn't starting, he really has great chemistry with Neymar.

Will be interesting to see if Vincius and Neymar can form a symbiotic relationship.