Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Italy won the Euros (dominating most of their opponent -not Spain though- ) and made the top 4 of NL twice. They established a new world record of invincibility (37 games/ Argentina came close to equal that). In between, they missed the WC to which they would have qualified if Jorginho (one of the world's best PK takers) had scored either of the 2 PK he missed in both games against Switzerland.

But yes, it all sounds like Greece 2004.
Look how they performed in both competitions in the 2010s
WC 2010 - Finished last in their group when everyone considered them to top it - Paraquay, New Zealand and Slovakia
WC 2014 - Finished 3rd in the group with England also crashing out while Costa Rica and Uruguay progressed.
WC 2018 - Failed to qualify
WC 2022 - Failed to qualify

EC 2008 - Lost to Spain in the QF via pens
EC 2012 - Heavy loss to Spain in the Final - 4:0
EC 2016 - Lost to Germany in the QF via pens
EC 2020 - Won

Ramos

WC 2010 - Finished last in their group when everyone considered them to top it - Paraquay, New Zealand and Slovakia
WC 2014 - Finished 3rd in the group with England also crashing out while Costa Rica and Uruguay progressed.
When written down like that, their WC record after 2006 is absolutely shocking.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Ugh.... based on a reporter on Fox Sports US Pregame show it does sound like Reyna's benching is Berhalter making a point.

Tony247

How do you compare this to Greece 2004 who made it out of the group on 4 points after losing to a quite poor Russia. Only qualified thanks to Spain being useless bottlers back then...
I am not comparing head to head. Similarity lies in purple patch and lack of longevity cause of which lies in dry spell in producing elite generation as they used to. Bonucci, Chiellini are great or were great. Rest you mentioned are good but not ones who take the team to next level, I mean the level Italy the four times world champions should be. That's my point.

bosskeano

Honestly shocked that Weston starts again considering he was poor and came off injured against Wales.

And still no Reyna. After the Wales match Berhlater was hammered by US media on why he did not bring him on and he said multiple times it was because Reyna was injured. Reyna's reply was I am 100%, no problems.
i'm honestly surprised that Weston is starting as well....i would have gone with Yusah and Adams in a double pivot with Aaronson at the 10

I don't mind Haji being at the 9 but i would have started Reyna from the beginning especially if injury is a concern because of the warming up/cooling down issue that injuries bring with that

wtih that said....it's bloody nice to be able to debate why guys like Reyna and Aaronson aren't starting as it shows we finally have depth that has quality to it

this game is won or lost in the midfield in particular dealing with Mount and Kane constantly flipping between the 9 and 10

PoTMS

I agree. I think this suggests that the US will not be trying to possess the ball much as Fereira would be the better fit for that since his game is to drop deep and receive the ball.
Is Wright not as good or just different style of play? He seems to have a decent goalscoring record this season.

Wing Attack Plan R

“Global powerhouse England”, they just said. Lololololol. We could easily get shredded because the England players are miles better than USA, but as a team they have never really caught fire. We are there to play, having no expectations and being the firm underdog. England, on the other hand, are hyped to the moon and their players feel the weight of history.

I just hope it’s a good game, even, no shit ref calls.

USA USA USA

bosskeano

Is Wright not as good or just different style of play? He seems to have a decent goalscoring record this season.
Haji isn't a drop into possession type of CF....but he's better in the air and has a bit more pace to his game than Ferriera

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wright, from what I have seen, is a much more traditional forward. Fereira is more of a 9/10 hybrid (he was only recently converted to a 9) and Berhalter has used him to drop deep to receive the ball and then turn and look to bring in the wingers.

RedDevilMachine

EC 2008 - Lost to Spain in the QF via pens
EC 2012 - Heavy loss to Spain in the Final - 4:0
EC 2016 - Lost to Germany in the QF via pens
EC 2020 - Won
Jesus that 2006 World Cup for them must be a curse, I didn't realize it has been that long they have been so bad in the World Cup.

PoTMS

Easy to be gutted missing out on Bellingham but there's no way he'd be the player he is now if he joined us under Ole.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What's the point? Any idea?
Basically, from what I can gather:

1. Berhalter, for whatever reason, did not bring him on via Wales
2. The media went after him hard for why he did not and Berhalter blamed it on Reyna not being fit and/or having muscle tightness.
3. The media then asked Reyna how he was doing and he replied bemusedly that he was 100%
4. Apparently both reiterated those positions yesterday/today,

bosskeano

American Football is shite.
bro it's not shite....lol

this group is young, gaining a ton of experience and this generation has some absolutely brilliant young talent that if nutured correctly and with the right leadership has a massive future ahead of them

the core7-8 guys are 19-21 years old...that's kind of crazy

Djemba-Djemba

bro it's not shite....lol

this group is young, gaining a ton of experience and this generation has some absolutely brilliant young talent that if nutured correctly and with the right leadership has a massive future ahead of them

the core7-8 guys are 19-21 years old...that's kind of crazy
You think I mean their football team.

I mean the sport of American Football, the NFL.

Pintu

Yes. It's been a poor decade by the Italian NT. Euro results are very good. Even 2012 was a good tournament, losing heavily to that Spain is all right. (not to forget they played half the game 10 vs 11, because they had too many injuries and when Motta got injured they'd already used all the subs). All this after having drawn with Spain in the group and having just knocked out Germany (in an exhausting semi-final). The 2016 was a good run as well, this time with a poor squad (Pelle, Eder...) they had no business smashing Belguim and Spain and taking World Champions Germany to pens the way Conte did...

But horrendous WC results from 2010.. No arguing that at all.

All this still doesn't make the current squad (Mancini's one / The one after 2019 onwards) anywhere near comparable to Greece 2004... Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone 37 games undefeated. They wouldn't have won the Euros the way they did. Their playing style in the Euros had nothing to do with Greece (11 man behind and pray..).

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
First goal will be crucial. If England scores first, the route could be on. If US scores first, the US has a decent chance to win.

PoTMS

Can someone remind Mount it's "God Save the King" now? Little point in trying to explain it to Kane.