Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
USA are making it hard for England. What I can’t understand is that whenever England have taken risks they’ve had good chances to score - Why don’t you play like that all the time? Both teams far too cautious.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I mean I thought they'd be more confident in their approach since on paper they're the better team? I know what the team is like especially with Southgate in charge but still..

the_cliff

one concern with the defensive shape when US goes 433 ala Liverpool style defensive shape is the space between the mids and CBs....if mount can find that space it'll hurt us
Even if Mount finds the space, our problem is we have no one with the ability to find him in that space. It's how we've played since Southgate was manager, our fullbacks are tasked with bringing the ball forward and finding the passes, our 2 CBs and Rice are too slow and sideways with the ball, it's why Shaw always looks like our most dangerous player.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Shaw and Maguire England's best players in this game. America should be ahead. One goal should be enough to win it for either side

tjb

A half wasted by negative play - England have the better side; if Southgate stops being so negative we will actually create chances.

All three chances have been created through fast passing, not lethargic side to side bollocks.
Do you think it's a choice????

England are struggling to build up. When they get past that phase, which has been rare, they can cut through the US.

England CB's have been poor moving the ball forward, Trippier hasn't been a good outlet. Neither Maguire or Stones are comfortable enough to swich.

Declane Rice isn't dropping deep to support their weak play, so it's ended up being tepid.

England want to control the game, but might start to realize, that whether they play with a 2 or 3, if you can't build up, you can't control a game

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
England are missing the spark that Foden can bring. Stirling has done nothing.

Gandalf

1 shot on target, but they should have had many more. Wales were hanging on there... Agree on the second half, the USA didn't do anything after the break.
Funny thing about out group is that it easily features the worst managers. Page, Southgate and Berhalter are all basically clueless tacticians. Page generally sticks to keeping it tight and waiting for Bale to make a bit of magic, ditto for Southgate with Kane and then Berhalter just tells his players to run around like maniacs and is surprised they keep conceding late goals.

sport2793

It’s not, they were absolutely battered in that second half, to a team who just got destroyed by Iran.

The fact Wales didn’t score more isn’t a sign that the US were good, because they weren’t, at all.
I feel like this isn't the first conversation on this forum where you have been wide of the mark.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Shaw and Maguire best players for England.

USA with brave display, should be leading.

RopersReturn

Yet again no instructions coming from the technical area and this is where I have a problem with Southgate, where normally you’d change things tactically if it isn’t going well. Same old, he doesn’t know what to do when the games going against us.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The only good thing about that half is we get to see Roy Keane to say how shite they are at half time.

redshaw

We knew US would be full of running, England seem to be pacing themselves out a bit but have passed it back and delayed moves a lot and are allowing US to settle it a game of their own. I'm expecting England to have more joy after around 60 mins.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think if Rashford comes on and another midfielder comes on for Mount it could be a different game

sport2793

If Southgate had a brain he would put on Rashford and Foden, can't see our back line keeping up with the former especially.

the_cliff

England are struggling to build up. When they get past that phase, which has been rare, they can cut through the US.

England CB's have been poor moving the ball forward, Trippier hasn't been a good outlet. Neither Maguire or Stones are comfortable enough to swich.

Declane Rice isn't dropping deep to support their weak play, so it's ended up being tepid.

England want to control the game, but might start to realize, that whether they play with a 2 or 3, if you can't build up, you can't control a game
Exactly. What I've been saying for a while. We have useless possession and it's always been like this against any decent set up. Shaw is our only player that seems to find a pass into the middle, it's what created our only shot on target.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
gary neville surprised that Maguire isn't marking his man... hardly news to us

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
England need to get Foden and Rashford on and they win this. Guarantee Southgate will take all year to get them on as his primary thought will be not losing.

Tony247

Even if England wins this match, there are clear concerns going forward.

tjb

England are missing the spark that Foden can bring. Stirling has done nothing.
Don't agree. the ball isn't even getting to that area of the pitch. Foden would end up just waiting for the ball. The ball is stuck in England's half and they cant progress it quick enough. A mistake would be to take off Saka, when the build up is the problem. TAA coming on for an outlet to the right might help things a bit. People here are praising Maguire, I actually think he's mostly responsible for the poor build up

Lecland07

Yes - why did we suddenly start being proactive in the last few minutes of the first half? That comes from instruction. We created 2 or 3 chances in a few minutes once we changed it, but that was way too late in that half.

90 + 5min

To win against Iran full of emotions is totally different to play against USA. You can clearly see problems with the team starting with central midfilders. Zero, absolute zero control with Rice and Bellingham. England need to get rid of those two or put in extra central defender. Mount and Saka have been bad and Sterling is hiding.

wangyu

England is just very bad that is all.

no urgency, no cutting edge, no pace. 2nd round and out