Day 7: Spain vs. Chile

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That's why I said at this level, not arrogance at all. We have the best players in the world at this competition bar a few that were injured. It takes something special to stand out at this level. Each team I have watched, which is probably 80% have comprised of 1 or 2 outstanding players. Thus, making the others look average. That doesn't mean they aren't better than what we have. That said, based on some teams performances some England players would get in their sides. Even the Aussies made Holland look average, and most people would say they have 1 star in Cahill. As for blind, I don't see the fuss about him. Has not stood out at all. Does not mean he isn't better than Baines.
Oh. Sorry, somehow i think youre talking about gettin into united team

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
That said, based on some teams performances some England players would get in their sides. Even the Aussies made Holland look average, and most people would say they have 1 star in Cahill. As for blind, I don't see the fuss about him. Has not stood out at all. Does not mean he isn't better than Baines.
I don't understand this. 2 games are not an adequate barometer to claim a team is good or not. Although the Aussies have played beyond most people's expectations, it should be accounted that teams like Netherlands played with almost nonchalant arrogance against them. That doesn't make the Dutch side poor.

SalfordRed1960

I don't understand this. 2 games are not an adequate barometer to claim a team is good or not. Although the Aussies have played beyond most people's expectations, it should be accounted that teams like Netherlands played with almost nonchalant arrogance against them. That doesn't make the Dutch side poor.
I don't think I said poor. I said average in respect to being put under pressure by the Aussies.

I am sure you will agree that Spain looked far from average at the last WC and Euro's. Their quality stood out a mile. Holland are traditionally a good footballing side, almost the equivalent to Spurs in always just falling short. When Spain started having a go at Holland (first half) they dominated, and the scoreline may have been very different if David Silva had made it 2-0. Admittedly, they fell apart once Holland scored and started fighting back. Holland's performance became exceptional over night because of the surprise factor, not really how they played for 90 minutes.

If we had a poll on the cafe, I would be very surprised if people thought there was one team head and shoulders above everyone else, based on performances so far. Also, if you picked best player for each position (on performances to date) I would be very surprised if there were more than 2 from any one team.

Cina

Hardly fair. Nobody would've expected Spain to crash out like that. They still had the best squad, after all.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Hardly fair. Nobody would've expected Spain to crash out like that. They still had the best squad, after all.
True, I don't think anyone expected less than semis for them, it's honestly the biggest shock of the World Cup, unless something extraordinary happens it won't be topped either.