Day 7: Spain vs. Chile

JezChan

As badly as Spain capitulated in their opening game, they surely have to be too strong for Chile, who themselves looked shaky for periods against Australia. Tipping Spain to win 3-0.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
Hopefully Vidal is a bit more recovered and can help out more because the Chilean pressing game will have to be strong to stand a chance against Spain. The Dutch pace and ball movement really gave that slow Spain side trouble and I can see Chile doing similar on the counter.

Devil may care

Chile are going to need Vidal at his best but I think they can hurt Spain, Sanchez in particular is tailor made to play against Pique and Ramos.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Spain can't defend to save their lives at this point, and I said before the Spain and Dutch game that spain's brand of football is dead and figured. I stand by that again for this game and I think Chile will finish them off tomorrow.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
This is very hard for us. We knew it wasnt gonna be easy since the draw of the groups, but we have played much better before than we did against australia so i think it will be an open game. Hope we can seal our classification tomorrow even if we all know well be facing brasil anyway next round :P

Heresiarca

All indications suggest it will be an close game but I feel Spain will win or lose by 2 or more goals.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Must win game for Spain, hopefully Chile manage to pull off a result. Otherwise I can't see them progressing either, unless they grab something off of Netherlands that is.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Wonder if Del Bosque will shake things up at the selection table.

LLMU

I have a feeling that Spain may be out of this world cup by the time this game ends. And no more Torres in the line up please.

Stocar

If Chile loses, that means quick counter-attacking football is dead forever.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Spain need to exploit Chile's centerbacks as much as possible so i do expect Costa to have some part of this match.

Spain 2-1 i would guess

zing

Zingle balls
Del Bosque to play with a False 9 again seemingly.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
So Del Bosque is going to make changes
I think he should have dropped one of Alonso and Xavi. Whats the point of dropping Pique, Costa and Silva if he's going to retain the same midfield that the Dutch ran through? Spain are so stuck in their ways. They are making the same mistakes Lippi made with Italy in South Africa.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Spain should bounce back in this one but it won't be easy, Chile is a really solid team. 2-1 Spain I think.
It will be interesting to see if he goes for a narrow win (and hopes Netherland beat Chile in their last game) or goes for a highscoring result (against Chile and Australia) in case Chile beat Netherlands.

Adebesi

Im really looking forward to tomorrow, should be three cracking games. And this one is the best of the lot. Hopefully Holland consolidate their position at the top of the group with an emphatic win over Australia and then we see who is likely to go through with them in this game. I reckon Spain will bounce back in style.

DannyDash

woah a lot of people thinking Spain will walk this, yes Chile are poor defensively but that is only because they take the game to their opponents. Going forward they can exploit Spain big time. btw last 2 meetings between the sides ended 3-2 2-2 to Spain and were lucky to win. Chile would be be delighted with a draw but they will definitely not be parking the bus.

Becknaldolencia

I hope Spain progress to the next round which will be good for football.

It'll be interesting to see whether Del Bosque is courageous enough to make couple of changes i.e bring Martinez in for Pique, drop one of Xavi, Xabi.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
This looks like the probable Chile 11:

--------------------Bravo---------------------
----------Medel-----Silva-------Jara----------
Isla------Vidal------Diaz-----Aranguiz----Mena
-------------Alexis-------Vargas--------------

Back to the 3-5-2 for this game. Which is a shame because Valdivia (most probable) will start on the bench.... but its ok, Sampaoli knows better.

I have good feelings about Chile for this game. I want them to win in style, with more possesion than Spain. Beat them at their own game and send them home.

And of course, hopefully the ref don't feck up in favor of Spain, like in the last world cup. Whoever wins, has to be the deserved winner.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I want Spain to win just so we have a Spain-Brazil game in the round of 16. I'd be happy with either team going out there and then.

Ruht

I want Spain to win just so we have a Spain-Brazil game in the round of 16. I'd be happy with either team going out there and then.
Brazil - Chile would be a cracker too. Spain is a different proposition of course.

I'm thorn here as I really love the football Chile play at times, and they were one of my teams to watch in this year's WC. I fully believe they might further upset Spain. Their style of football is a perfect fit against the Spaniards.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Brazil - Chile would be a cracker too. Spain is a different proposition of course.

I'm thorn here as I really love the football Chile play at times, and they were one of my teams to watch in this year's WC. I fully believe they might further upset Spain. Their style of football is a perfect fit against the Spaniards.
The one team Chile fear the most and find the hardest to beat is Brazil.

CantonaGiggs1

Chile only need a draw. They have a +6 goal differential on Spain. Which means that Spain would need to score a shitload of goals against Australia in their 3rd match. Holland will destroy Australia so they probably won't play their regular starters in the final game of group stage and will make it much easier for Chile. Spain needs to win, a draw does them no good.