Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Agree but why cant we go for both (150M) and sell 5/6 fringe players to balance the books..Means the net will come down to 100M)
I think 180 -185 mill is more what both would cost.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
People here saying either we can get Sancho or Upamecano
It’s not only finances. We have too many CB’s on payroll, plus dayot still has several defensive weaknesses he needs to improve at. Lastly as Andy Mitten said, let see how he does now he knows big clubs are watching him.

unlike others I don’t think he is defensively anywhere good enough yet to walk into first team, as shown in some stats comparing him to Smalling.

romufc

To the Badashile thread we go
I do not understand why we would waste money on him. Getting him would be getting a CB for the sake of it.

We have 2 young defenders at our club, Tuanzebe and Mengi. We do not need another defender with just potential.

croadyman

I do not understand why we would waste money on him. Getting him would be getting a CB for the sake of it.

We have 2 young defenders at our club, Tuanzebe and Mengi. We do not need another defender with just potential.
My only concern with that is Axel doesn't seem to be able to stay fit, so how would you feel if say City decided to focus all their efforts on Messi and decided not to sign Koulibaly. Should we go in for him or would that be a really bad idea due to his age and high price of course.

UncleBob

My only concern with that is Axel doesn't seem to be able to stay fit, so how would you feel if say City decided to focus all their efforts on Messi and decided not to sign Koulibaly. Should we go in for him or would that be a really bad idea due to his age and high price of course.
No top clubs are interested in signing Koulibaly, that's about it.

Jibbs

If we cannot sign Upamecano or Torres this year, we really need to keep Smalling and start him alongside Maguire. Sell Jones and Rojo only, may be send Tuanzebe for another year on loan too.

romufc

I do get what you mean about Axel but Mengi is only 1 year younger than Badashile, spending £30/40m when we need to spend money elsewhere doesnt seem the best option.

I would be totally against signing Koulibaly.

I would rather sign a LB like Regulion or someone and next summer go for Upamecano.

Don’t want KK, there’s a reason why a top club hasn’t come in for him whilst he’s always been available and there are so few decent CBs around. Smalling was better than him this season, he has massive flop written all over him.

croadyman

I do get what you mean about Axel but Mengi is only 1 year younger than Badashile, spending £30/40m when we need to spend money elsewhere doesnt seem the best option.

I would be totally against signing Koulibaly.

I would rather sign a LB like Regulion or someone and next summer go for Upamecano.
I like Reguilon but just worry about this rumoured buyback clause that keeps being mentioned

croadyman

I’d prefer we wait for Dayot to mature.
This could well end up being a bit like the VDB situation where Grealish was top target but couldn't get him.

What I mean is that Upamecano is probably the top option but if Ole really does want a LCB he could go for Badiashile or Torres this summer

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This could well end up being a bit like the VDB situation where Grealish was top target but couldn't get him.

What I mean is that Upamecano is probably the top option but if Ole really does want a LCB he could go for Badiashile or Torres this summer
Good spot.

A-man

It’s not only finances. We have too many CB’s on payroll, plus dayot still has several defensive weaknesses he needs to improve at. Lastly as Andy Mitten said, let see how he does now he knows big clubs are watching him.

unlike others I don’t think he is defensively anywhere good enough yet to walk into first team, as shown in some stats comparing him to Smalling.
As a prestige and very expensive recruitment, he might walk in, but he can not count on it.

United conceded least goals of all from open play this season. The problem was setpieces and I don’t see how Upamecano would solve that problem. Lindelof and Maguire played 35 PL matches together and some in the cup. A new CB, not used to the players around him, and new to the PL, I am not sure Ole would even put him in the starting xi at the beginning of the season. More likely he would start with playing cup matches and occasional PL matches, to ease him in with the goal for him to be starter at the end of the season.

This must also be a concern for him, when he is considering where he wants to play. At his age, playing matches is very important, especially now when he is part of the National Team.

I can’t see how Torres could make it in the PL. Of the 51 centre backs who played at least 15 matches, there is only 1 who won less aerials than him.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Ogden also says the higher ups need convincing before they shell out on Upamecano.

I personally can see why they'd have reservations after breaking the world transfer record on Maguire and still being asked for funds to sign someone to cover up for his defeciencies.

Don't expect many to agree with me.
I agree with you.

AFC NimbleThumb

Is there anything to be said for giving Phil Jones one more year to fulfil his potential? Get the old band back together?

I need to make this a profile picture somewhere.

The next Rio & Vidic, there’s still time. . .

treble_winner

Konate is considered the General by many observers of the player while IMO Upamecano is the complimentary CB. I can't ever see Upamecano being as dominant as Konate aerially for obvious reasons. Upamecano also has had an extra year of development at the Red Bull school which many don't know about. Upamecano's passing ability through the lines was also better but Konate was closing the gap in that regard and in some games I watched him play in, he was hitting 60, 70 yard pings with either foot with great accuracy. He just needs to become more consistent which will happen as he progresses. But what people don't know is that Konate was statistically the best CB in the BuLi at bringing the ball out of defence. Both players have room for improvement.

This reminds me of a debate I had in 2002 about two young kids who were in the SCP academy Ronaldo and Quaresma. The older Quaresma was consider the bigger talent by most SCP fans whilst Ronaldo was considered a talent but not on the same technical level as Quaresma who was said to be superior on the ball. It took a few years but eventually Ronaldo proved me right. Of course I could be wrong too..
It's not just about who is and will be the better defender between Konate and Upamecano.
Who do you think will compliment Maguire better in our setup? I think that's the real question that needs answers.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not just about who is and will be the better defender between Konate and Upamecano.
Who do you think will compliment Maguire better in our setup? I think that's the real question that needs answers.
I think being good in the air in hugely important in the PL. Upamecano looks super mobile and superb on the ball, but is he a bit lame in the air? The stats someone posted weren't great.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Konate would be the better signing because not only will he compliment Maguire as he's very adept at defending space in a high-line. He would also add a additional monster aerial threat in a deep defensive line. We could be without Maguire and still have the ability to deal with the high ball in his absence such is the allround capability of Konate.

That's my opinion.

A-man

Konate would be the better signing because not only will he compliment Maguire as he's very adept at defending space in a high-line. He would also add a additional monster aerial threat in a deep defensive line. We could be without Maguire and still have the ability to deal with the high ball in his absence such is the allround capability of Konate.

That's my opinion.
That is something that must be considered. Today there isn’t really any CB at United who can replace Maguire. Ok for a game or two, but what happens if (when) he picks up a 2 months injury?

jackal&hyde

Why do we assume that? Grealish has shown to have attitude problems and he is no where near as versatile as VDB.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That is something that must be considered. Today there isn’t really any CB at United who can replace Maguire. Ok for a game or two, but what happens if (when) he picks up a 2 months injury?
We could play Lindelof, Bailly or Axel next to Konate in such a eventuality which would make our options flexible because we would still have the dominant aerial CB in Konate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Also to add to your post. I think with the addition of Konate, Lindelof becomes a more dangerous challenger for Maguire's spot.

A-man

We could play Lindelof, Bailly or Axel next to Konate in such a eventuality which would make our options flexible because we would still have the dominant aerial CB in Konate.
Agree! I think we often tend to look at players in the way how good they are, and Upamecano is very good and an incredible talent. But if we look at the purpose with signing a new CB, also the skill set must match the role. If he is going to pair Maguire it is not the same skillset as if he is going to replace Maguire.

Maguire is very dominant in the air, the only one who come close is Smalling. Konate seems a better fit in that sense. One of Lindelof's biggest strengths, and also a strength of Maguire, is how how well they communicate and cooperate. This is a question mark for me when it comes to Upamecano. The Leipzig defence have been more a bunch of individualists than a unit imo.

Also to add to your post. I think with the addition of Konate, Lindelof becomes a more dangerous challenger for Maguire's spot.
Yes, most likely. Upamecano would be next to Maguire, Konate could replace any of them. I think it is naive to believe that Maguire can continue to play 50+ matches every season. Also, even if he could play many games, he looked really fatigued for a long stretch at the end.

Rauður Djöfull

Probably not, anything that confirms it will?
haha no guess not, I have been working a lot and not really followed along as much as I used to so I saw your post and figured there had been some development that meant it was all over regarding him

Himannv

You'd have to consider what the squad needs as well. Lindelof, Tuanzebe, and Bailly are all RCBs. If Maguire gets injured or rested, the players coming in are Jones and Rojo. Upamecano fits more because he can play on either side, so he'll be the more suitable signing. He's also athletic, agile, and good on the ball, so he fits the bill in terms of what Ole is looking for. Not saying Konate is not a good player, far from it, I think he's the better defender, but he's not the type of player we need more at the moment.

A-man

You'd have to consider what the squad needs as well. Lindelof, Tuanzebe, and Bailly are all RCBs. If Maguire gets injured or rested, the players coming in are Jones and Rojo. Upamecano fits more because he can play on either side, so he'll be the more suitable signing. He's also athletic, agile, and good on the ball, so he fits the bill in terms of what Ole is looking for. Not saying Konate is not a good player, far from it, I think he's the better defender, but he's not the type of player we need more at the moment.
Lindelof can play on both sides. He played left with Smalling. But he cannot replace Maguire, and as discussed before in this thread, Upamecano is probably not the best fit to replace Maguire.

Rolaholic

Gonna be a lot of interested parties in the mix next summer when his cheap clause kicks in...hope we'll be in position to present as attractive a situation as anyone

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
He should get his first start for France tonight on the right of a 3 man defense alongside Varane and Kimpembe

Status
Not open for further replies.