Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Cut our loses by ripping up their contract if possible. Likely do us more harm than good in this window but they need to get out asap.
Normally I'd see this as kneejerk but tbh the way things are, they're set to finish the rest of their contract years here anyway so get rid of them now.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Normally I'd see this as kneejerk but tbh the way things are, they're set to finish the rest of their contract years here anyway so get rid of them now.
Yep. I would've classed it as knee jerk a year back but now I,like many others, are completely fed up with the state of things.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This bloke just signed a new contract, there is absolutely no reason to sell and no reason for us to buy now when a buyout clause comes into effect next summer.
I mean in theory if you offered them a decent amount above the buyout clause now (and give them enough time to get a replacement) then I'm sure they could be tempted to sell.

I don't think we'll do that, but yeah.

crossy1686

career ending
I mean in theory if you offered them a decent amount above the buyout clause now (and give them enough time to get a replacement) then I'm sure they could be tempted to sell.

I think the buyout is €60m next summer so we'd be looking at €20m above that maybe this year? It also goes down by €20m year on year.

Andersons Dietician

I think they already have someone there. Sure that Mukienele is supposedly highly regarded and can play CB. They have Konaté, Klosterman and Obram or whatever his name is as well. So at least if they sell they aren’t having to go and look for a starting position player.

mav_9me

There is no way this is happening. We won't offer enough to make Leipzig consider selling him. They won't have time to get a replacement. Quite obviously they are happy to have him for a year and sell him next year at a decent price.

Will be another waste of time. And will end up getting no one.

croadyman

I think the buyout is €60m next summer so we'd be looking at €20m above that maybe this year? It also goes down by €20m year on year.
Have a feeling it was €60m before it expired this summer but is now down to €42m for next summer

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Leipzig would surely sell if you offered them enough money. I think the bigger issue is that Upa's own actions suggest that he wants to stay, then use the relatively low release clause to maximize his leverage in contract negotiations with a new club next summer. Or possibly he already has an informal agreement with a club like Bayern to join them next summer. Whatever the case may be, its clear that he and his agent formulated a plan for next summer when they signed this new contract and I doubt the plan involved joining Manchester United. So convincing him to junk that plan in order to move to a club he hasn't been considering in a country he doesn't know isn't going to be easy.

croadyman

A story about interest in Upamecano on a Monday morning, haven't we been before already this summer

Red_Orchestra

I would love to have a comanding center back like Upe, but we'd have to sell at least 2 or 3 of our 6 center backs that we have on our books. It's an absolute mess in that position.

It's the same talk in every transfer window regarding Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo. We have to get rid of them but there is interest in either of them. At this point, we should be considering buying both of their contracts out like we did with Sanchez and letting them both walk for free.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
So this is where the Maguire money should have gone! :D

BlueHaze

Just to make it clear about his clause it activates next summer and the fee is €42m.

So anyone could literally get him right now if they offered let's say €50m unless RB are willing to make a loss. His injury record is worrying though so I'm not to keen on signing him tbh.

Get young talent

I find this the most frustrating part of United in recent times. Giving good or obscene contracts to average and unfit players.
Drives me mad.
Ed and Matt Judge couldn't get out of the club sooner. Bl**dy dimwits.
The idea behind this, is to add time for selling the deadwood.

But we can't get ride of them mostly because of there wages.

And every year the story repeat itself

croadyman

Why not go for Telles, Sarr & Perisic (if part of Smalling deal) then make a take it or leave it offer around €60m to Leipzig for him.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No way he'll sign for us. Pains me to say it but we're an absolute laughing stock and if he has other options, which he 100% will do at that price, then he isn't coming here.

We're about to have a crap season and players of this calibre will be way out of our reach after this season is done.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why not go for Telles, Sarr & Perisic (if part of Smalling deal) then make a take it or leave it offer around €60m to Leipzig for him.
60M € will not get the job done.

Upamecano is currently planning to transfer in 2021 for his 43M € release clause which is below his current market value. The player and his agent are going to cash in the difference between his old clause (which teams were willing to pay) this summer and the new one next summer (17M €) as a sign-on fee.

So if you want Upamecano this year, you'll need to pay Leipzig at least the initial 60M € release clause plus up to 15% for the inconvenience of losing their best player late into the transfer window even though they don't need to sell him. Finally you would have to pay off the player and agent who set themselves up for quite a nice deal in 2021.

My guesstimation is an Upamecano deal would cost between 80-90M € this summer. I find that highly unlikely.

croadyman

60M € will not get the job done.

Upamecano is currently planning to transfer in 2021 for his 43M € release clause which is below his current market value. The player and his agent are going to cash in the difference between his old clause (which teams were willing to pay) this summer and the new one next summer (17M €) as a sign-on fee.

So if you want Upamecano this year, you'll need to pay Leipzig at least the initial 60M € release clause plus up to 15% for the inconvenience of losing their best player late into the transfer window even though they don't need to sell him. Finally you would have to pay off the player and agent who set themselves up for quite a nice deal in 2021.

My guesstimation is an Upamecano deal would cost between 80-90M € this summer. I find that highly unlikely.
Wouldn't mind waiting to try and get him next summer if only we didn't have CB options who are a mix of slow, crap in the air and injury prone

ReallyUSA

Imagine a team that got into the final four of the CL selling one of, if not thee, best player on the team with two weeks to replace him after they extended him two months ago. It's gotten to the point where we are becoming so naive it is embarrassing. This isn't the 2000's anymore.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can just see Bayern getting him and Halaand with the clauses next summer.
Haaland's clause afaik is only applicable from 2022 onward. I expect he will hit the open market next summer so Dortmund can cash in full value. I don't see us competing in the 100M € + X range for a Lewandowski next summer. Lewy will be 33 and he'll probably be still good for another couple of years given how well he takes care of his body.

Upamecano on the other hand is definitely someone we've been in contact with. I wouldn't be surprised if Hernandez leaves next summer and Upamecano is his replacement.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Imagine a team that got into the final four of the CL selling one of, if not thee, best player on the team with two weeks to replace him after they extended him two months ago. It's gotten to the point where we are becoming so naive it is embarrassing. This isn't the 2000's anymore.
Nice framing. You could also interpret things quite differently. Leipzig may have gotten as far as they can (they're not going to win the Bundesliga), they may have agreed to extend to preserve his value, then he made some comments himself that were vague about his future. And they've already sold their star player to Chelsea.

ReallyUSA

Nice framing. You could also interpret things quite differently. Leipzig may have gotten as far as they can (they're not going to win the Bundesliga), they may have agreed to extend to preserve his value, then he made some comments himself that were vague about his future. And they've already sold their star player to Chelsea.
They even brought it up via Twitter. Not winning doesn't mean they don't want to compete.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@ReallyUSA

Sure, I'm not saying he's going to be sold. I just don't think are cut and dry. If they get a good offer, I expect them to sell. Regardless of posting stuff on Twitter.

Coops73

No way he'll sign for us. Pains me to say it but we're an absolute laughing stock and if he has other options, which he 100% will do at that price, then he isn't coming here.

We're about to have a crap season and players of this calibre will be way out of our reach after this season is done.
feck me we have Nostradamus on the cafe.

Give your head a wobble.

Alemar

no reason for us to buy now when a buyout clause comes into effect next summer.
We need to strengthen our defence now, not next season - otherwise we won’t be playing any European football at all next year.

Buying players is not just about financial outcome, it’s also about football results of the team - you can’t delay deals if your team’s performance is shit

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We do have a problem. It is fairly ridiculous to buy yet another CB with so many at the club, though, and especially with Tuanzebe not having been given a proper chance yet, and Mengi looking very promising.

I suspect buying would be less of an issue if we could sell at least Smalling and Rojo.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We do have a problem. It is fairly ridiculous to buy yet another CB with so many at the club, though, and especially with Tuanzebe not having been given a proper chance yet, and Mengi looking very promising.

I suspect buying would be less of an issue if we could sell at least Smalling and Rojo.
Bingo. We're just shite at selling our players.

crossy1686

career ending
We need to strengthen our defence now, not next season - otherwise we won’t be playing any European football at all next year.

Buying players is not just about financial outcome, it’s also about football results of the team - you can’t delay deals if your team’s performance is shit
We don't though, defence isn't our biggest issue our forward line is our biggest issue.

There's two ways to look at this:

Someone kicks your back door in tonight and robs your house.

1. You curse the back door for not having good enough locks on, so you go out and buy bigger, better locks and a stronger door.
2. You look around and realise your gate and fence are easy to climb over and you don't have any CCTV or a big dog.

We should be looking at option 2. We don't move the ball around quick enough when there's a low block, it's 3 to 4 slow passes left to right until we lose the ball trying something difficult because no one's moving or someone runs down a blind alley and gets dispossessed. We need more quality at the top to make sure we create clear cut chances and test the keeper.

Alemar

We need more quality at the top to make sure we create clear cut chances and test the keeper.
That’s true, post-lockdown only Martial and Greenwood were good enough for us up top - even Rashford doesn’t perform well enough to warrant starting spot lately.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Tuanzebe has been given a chance, he was promoted to third choice last season and could have ousted Lindelof, but he's had a nightmare in terms of injuries and we definitely shouldn't rely on his being fit.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Sorry but horrible take. Horrible. Truly horrible.

We have 2 CBs who can be trusted to stay fit, and they aren’t exactly world beaters are they.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Sorry but horrible take. Horrible. Truly horrible.
:lol: A little over the top maybe?!

'Horrible take'... but how much money have we spent on that position already in the last few years... it should be sorted. You can see why in the current climate we might need to focus elsewhere... and yes the owners being a huge drag on our finances does not help but let's be real. We have Bailly, Lindelof, Maguire, Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Tuanzebe and Mengi as first team CBs. That is 8, ffs. Unless we are trying to set a record of some kind I am just pointing out that the club will clearly, obviously, be looking to sell some of these before buying. The drag on wages alone is huge.

My point was that I agree what we have is still not good enough...but I doubt there is much sympathy for this towards Ole especially considering he spunked 80m on Maguire last summer.

Last edited:

VivaRonaldo85

Yeah CB wise we are packed but there is a distinct lack of quality and fitness which is the biggest problem
Staggering our neglect in the CB area. Two players that stay fit so play and five others who drop in and out for a few weeks a season. Upemacano would be a brilliant and possibly game changing signing but we have no realistic chance unless we just splurge ludicrous money (which isn’t out the question for Ed on deadline day).

croadyman

Staggering our neglect in the CB area. Two players that stay fit so play and five others who drop in and out for a few weeks a season. Upemacano would be a brilliant and possibly game changing signing but we have no realistic chance unless we just splurge ludicrous money (which isn’t out the question for Ed on deadline day).
Yeah would definitely take at least 60m euros

Status
Not open for further replies.