Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agreed. But I can easily see him take Umiti’s spot next to Varane. (started in the world cup final 2018)
That's Lenglet's spot though he has been shaky the last time, so you never know. At this point I think that Zouma, Lenglet and Varane are the CBs guaranteed to be selected and after that it's anyone's guess maybe Laporte get a chance as a starter, maybe it's Upamecano, Hernandez, Konaté or even a surprise like Kouassi or Koundé.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That's Lenglet's spot though he has been shaky the last time, so you never know. At this point I think that Zouma, Lenglet and Varane are the CBs guaranteed to be selected and after that it's anyone's guess maybe Laporte get a chance as a starter, maybe it's Upamecano, Hernandez, Konaté or even a surprise like Kouassi or Koundé.
Zouma? Has he been good for France?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This was reported by Kicker who are a very reliable source in Germany IMO. Contrary to what some may say.

JPRouve

Scout
Zouma? Has he been good for France?
He is a bench warmer, decent when on the field but he is mainly someone that lives well with the group which is important for Deschamps.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

This was reported by Kicker who are a very reliable source in Germany IMO. Contrary to what some may say.
It's a smart move, makes it affordable for most big clubs to go after him, which will only benefit his bargaining position for the best contract/role.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was excellent vs Atleti.

How is he in a back 4? Never seen him in a back 4. Always see him in a sweeper role whenever I watch Leipzig.

MetoTTT

Zouma over Laporte, Hernandez (who plays mostly left FB even he could be excellent LCB), Upamecano and Konaté is really ridiculous by DD.

sp_107

Even Rio certified he is a modern day defender got everything in his locker to play for big teams.

Wish we gave his parents the flat they wanted back in 2017 so we could have got him for peanuts instead we wasted lot on other players.

At least we rectify that by going after him in this window instead of buying defenders like Gabriel.

JPRouve

Scout
Zouma over Laporte, Hernandez (who plays mostly left FB even he could be excellent LCB), Upamecano and Konaté is really ridiculous by DD.
No it's not ridiculous at all, Zouma is a backup, Laporte spent time with the team when he was a U21 and didn't fit with the group, he also acted like a petulant child in the press, we lacked quality as left back so it would have made no sense to not have Hernandez at left back. And Upamecano/Konaté are elligilible for the U21, it would be extremely stupid to take them in the senior team when we don't need them and they can help us be decent at U21 level.

It's important to remember that Deschamps and tried to build a team, not a simple collection of players and he succeeded with his criteria.

croadyman

Does he always play so positively? Several times he’s picked out forward passes in dangerous areas. Great to see that for a change instead of the sideways/backwards passes our defenders play
Would be a top class signing but depends if we are prepared to wait for him like Liverpool did with Van Dijk

croadyman

We need to be all over this next summer before someone else wanting a CB beats us to it and as mentioned by someone else we should definitely have given his parents that flat they wanted back in 2017 when he was on trial with us

Cliche Guevara

The caf’s official line for everything, despite City pretty much never beating us to any player ever.
Was going to say the same thing. Such a bizarre random combination of teams in this situation.

Just screams inferiority complex.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Have you been able to watch Kounde? Interested to hear your thoughts on him if so. And @kouroux
In all honesty, I haven't watched him that much so I'm not gonna come up with a fake review :lol:

I think he deserves a call up

I rarely enjoyed reading a twitter like this one in a long long time. Having experienced both french and english coverages, I'd say Auclair is fair in his review.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

This guy is the real deal.

He's the kind of CB signing we need to make.

He's so much better than Lindelof and Bailly already. He'd be a an instant starter here

RUCK4444

We need to be all over this next summer before someone else wanting a CB beats us to it and as mentioned by someone else we should definitely have given his parents that flat they wanted back in 2017 when he was on trial with us
Can’t we just go in for him this summer (depending on what happens with Sancho), he’s my first choice CB to pair with Maguire. :drool:

romufc

He just signed a new contract, apparently has a 41m release clause next summer. The stark difference of the two German clubs.

One signs players up and knows they may leave.. Werner got a new contract with 50m release clause now this chap?

Also read he may be on his way to Bayern next summer

croadyman

Can’t we just go in for him this summer (depending on what happens with Sancho), he’s my first choice CB to pair with Maguire. :drool:
Well in an ideal world we could get both this summer but can't see that happening right now

UpWithRivers

Why not offer 50 mill right now before everyone else gets in. Or 25/30 + Smalling. Never understood why deals like this never happen. Oh well he will go next year to Barca or someone for 42.

red thru&thru

How come, with so many teams in need of a cb, didn't go for him this year? I believe he had one year left?

croadyman

Why not offer 50 mill right now before everyone else gets in. Or 25/30 + Smalling. Never understood why deals like this never happen. Oh well he will go next year to Barca or someone for 42.
I could only see us going for him this summer if we didn't spend big on a marquee signing like Sancho or Grealish

I know that is probably not what people want to hear but can't see us having the cash to get him and one of those too.

nyanza

I could only see us going for him this summer if we didn't spend big on a marquee signing like Sancho or Grealish

I know that is probably not what people want to hear but can't see us having the cash to get him and one of those too.
Honestly, 45m pounds for Upamecano, activating Partey's clause that's about the same and getting a RW for a similar amount to rotate with Greenwood (haven't watched him closely but a lot of people mention Sarr so let's use him as an example) sounds better to me than only Sancho. And even then we can always try again for him next summer. Despite everyone losing their minds about how Barca and Real will get him, they might not go for him at all.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not sure I've ever been more impressed by a 21 yo centre back than him last night. Best player on a very talented pitch. Based purely on one match, I'm sold!

Kidding aside, let's see how he does against PSG, very different challenge. But any club who has CB not looking at him must be certifiably insane, at that price we should pay it now for next summer.

croadyman

Not sure I've ever been more impressed by a 21 yo centre back than him last night. Best player on a very talented pitch. Based purely on one match, I'm sold!

Kidding aside, let's see how he does against PSG, very different challenge. But any club who has CB not looking at him must be certifiably insane, at that price we should pay it now for next summer.
Look even if he gets a working over from Mbappe & Neymar I won't hold that against him at all. I just worry that we are just going to stand by and let someone else sign him.

I know he doesn't fit the LCB criteria that Ole seems to have but that shouldn't matter because he would upgrade the centre of defence massively.

A-man

How come, with so many teams in need of a cb, didn't go for him this year? I believe he had one year left?
I think there are many interested for this great talent, but to get him you need to pay a lot, and there is this risk with all his injuries.

red thru&thru

I think there are many interested for this great talent, but to get him you need to pay a lot, and there is this risk with all his injuries.
But before this contract extension, I'm pretty sure this was hi last year. But like I say, maybe clubs want to see how the following year goes for him

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to L'Equipe he didn't want to join a elite club but rather wanted to move to a club that was a tier below who were in the champions league. Which didn't make sense because he got all that at RBL.

So it came as no surprise when he extended his contract at RBL after much speculation.

red thru&thru

According to L'Equipe he didn't want to join a elite club but rather wanted to move to a club that was a tier below who were in the champions league. Which didn't make sense because he got all that at RBL.

So it came as no surprise when he extended his contract at RBL after much speculation.
Ah ok. Now that kind of mentality worries me. Surely you want to go to an elite club to push yourself. Bizarre if true.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Remember we were super close to signing him before he joined Leipzig? that's a shame.

sp_107

This guy is the real deal.

He's the kind of CB signing we need to make.

He's so much better than Lindelof and Bailly already. He'd be a an instant starter here
Its sad to see we almost had him 3 years back but move only failed as we didnt want to spend extra 200K on his family accommodation

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
His agent is probably in contact with about 10 clubs, but definitely worth a cheeky bid from United.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Laporte, Lenglet, Varane, Umtiti, Kimpembe have all shown more, today I would have him above Umtiti and Kimpembe though.
I would have Upamecano above Lenglet and perhaps level with Varane and Kimpembe who was immense against Atalanta.

Umtiti when fit is France's best defender.

Josh 76

He handled the Atletico Madrid forwards better than the best Defender in the history of the game did.

seegoblu

I thought he signed the new contract to put RB in a better negotiation position with suitors, no? Since his contract was running down in 2021, he extended for that reason only, not that he wanted to stay. The inclusion of a low buyout clause for next summer sets the bar at above 42m, a price they might not have received had the contract not been extended.

I think he is absolutely available this summer, likely at a price between 42m and 60m.

If Sancho isn't coming, a loan for O. Dembele (for a reasonably low loan fee), nicking Thiago (for 30m), adding Partey/Zakaria (for 50m), and Upamencano for (50m), would be an incredible (and feasible) window.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
He reminded me a lot of the peak Boateng of around 2016.

A world class modern CB, only without the passing skills of Boateng but with better dribbling.

Status
Not open for further replies.