DAZN wants to buy all the EFL rights and show all 3PM games live

TheLiverBird

So the fans have to pay BT Sport for 12:30pm kickoffs and European matches, they have too pay Sky for evening and Sunday matches, Prime on occasion and now potentially DAZN for the 3pms??

It’s madness a business as big as the Premier League isn’t just looking into developing their own platform so all games are paid through ONE provider instead of 4.

I know the EPL are tied into a few years of contracts with their broadcasters, but they really need too be seeing out these contracts with a view too launch their own platform cancelling out all the different broadcasters.

Probably great for the EFL mind

9 Stone Elvis

Yeah it's because they support those teams. You don't think much of the dedication that fans have to their club, do you?

Lifelong Southend United fan...oh, Newcastle are on the telly? Howay the lads!
Thats not really the issue though, the dedicated fan will go to his or her games regardless but there are plenty of people who just go because its there and those people may be swayed by games on the telly, not in huge numbers at each individual game but sufficient across the board to make a difference. "I might go to the game today as Im at a loose end, ah theres a PL game on tv? I'll just watch that instead".

How true the above is in reality Im not sure but thats the theory.

stw2022

Thats not really the issue though, the dedicated fan will go to his or her games regardless but there are plenty of people who just go because its there and those people may be swayed by games on the telly, not in huge numbers at each individual game but sufficient across the board to make a difference. "I might go to the game today as Im at a loose end, ah theres a PL game on tv? I'll just watch that instead".

How true the above is in reality Im not sure but thats the theory.

It was the theory in 1992 when anything beyond the occasional game on the box was a frightening, new venture whose impact on football was a largely unknowable quantity. Back then a televised game was a big thing. An event. The big match, literally.

These days even those who subscribe don't have the inclination to watch every game. Most probably will watch all their own teams games, maybe most of the big games involving other teams and pick and choose from the rest. Even back when games were much more restricted there weren't many Arsenal fans planning their Mondays around staying in to watch Coventry vs Bolton.

Would big games impact lower league attendance? Sure but when was the last time a big match kicked off at 3pm? There a whole bunch of reasons why those are moved to their own, stand-alone, commercially preferable time slot.

What we're talking about is whether the broadcasting of games existing broadcasters opt not to broadcast under current terms would lead to the death of English football. I'm not convinced by that argument.

Take this weekend. I'm not sure Arsenal vs Leicester or Bournemouth vs Fulham are sufficiently big attractions to destroy the football pyramid in this country

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
With around $55 in Africa, you watch all the football in EPL, FA CUP, Champions League, Europa, Carabao.

Serie A and La Liga.

I think in the last 15 years, I've watched all United games on TV.

Maybe one season Carabao Cup was not televised.

Give or take 10 games in that period which I have watched either few minutes in between.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So the fans have to pay BT Sport for 12:30pm kickoffs and European matches, they have too pay Sky for evening and Sunday matches, Prime on occasion and now potentially DAZN for the 3pms??

It’s madness a business as big as the Premier League isn’t just looking into developing their own platform so all games are paid through ONE provider instead of 4.

I know the EPL are tied into a few years of contracts with their broadcasters, but they really need too be seeing out these contracts with a view too launch their own platform cancelling out all the different broadcasters.

Probably great for the EFL mind
Yep, the last untapped market in football is the every game market.
No idea how they'd price point it?

£20 a month to see every game would be a bargain, as most of us would be paying at least that for a package (I'm Now tv for that for instance).
Maybe even £40-50 a month for 1 platform that has every game would be worth it?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah it's because they support those teams. You don't think much of the dedication that fans have to their club, do you?

Lifelong Southend United fan...oh, Newcastle are on the telly? Howay the lads!
Not sure how many times this has to be explained :lol:
The diehard fans will go to the game in the flesh even if it's a 3 hour drive and it's on Sky.

It's the massive casuals/floating fan ever club has a high percentage of that'll bin off going if there's an easier/better option.

atkar83

I made this discovery at the beginning of the season. Fubo has been fine but having to pay for two streaming services to get PL and CL is annoying. DAZN dropped the ball losing the rights to PL football.

Their coverage and streams are better than Fubo imo. Allows you to see highlights of the game at the bottom and jump to them during the game.
I found Fubo is much easier to watch from the start without spoilers (on the west coast some games are so early so I can't watch until I have the kids up and fed), DAZN forever wouldn't let you watch from the start. You had to manually slide the game to the start which risked seeing the score. Other than that it was fine though.

JagUTD

Based on this game tonight, they should probably try and not 10% off. It's not awful but given this is supposed to be the best side in the division, it's not great either.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I found Fubo is much easier to watch from the start without spoilers (on the west coast some games are so early so I can't watch until I have the kids up and fed), DAZN forever wouldn't let you watch from the start. You had to manually slide the game to the start which risked seeing the score. Other than that it was fine though.
Yeah I’m the same with west coast game times. City Liverpool is at 4:30 am tomorrow and I don’t feel like getting up at that time just to watch a PL game.

I personally prefer DAZN’s set up over Fubo.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
the death of civilisation as we know it, imo. i’ve got a mate who spends most of his time volunteering and he says he only does it because 3pm games aren’t televised. he says the moment they are televised he’ll give up all the philanthropy and spend his time racially abusing players on twitter instead.
Sounds like a mate of yours

9 Stone Elvis

Take this weekend. I'm not sure Arsenal vs Leicester or Bournemouth vs Fulham are sufficiently big attractions to destroy the football pyramid in this country
Not to destroy it but to impact on it for sure. 3pm on a Saturday is a terrible time for most normal people to watch football. Those who have families or commitments or non 9-5 Mon-Fri jobs. It doesnt work for people the way it used to. So its committed people who attend these clubs week in week out, but there are loads of other people who get a Saturday off, or whose kids are at a party or not well, or any number or reasons why they might be in a position to watch a game, and while they would normally think "I'll pop along to my local team" they would think "I'll watch Arsenal v Leicester" just cos its there.

For me as a crap example I lived in Glasgow for a few years and went to watch Partick Thistle now and again. I don't support them but it was something to do. If there was any PL game on at the same time I'd probably have sat in and watched it instead and cost Thistle a tenner and a burger or whatever it was at the time.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I’m not sure if this will amount to anything but it’s about time somebody killed off sky sports.