De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He's been incredible for us. But we should have sold him this summer to avoid this situation. I'd imagine someone would have been willing to pay 50 million for him.
Well he seems to be chasing the money from the reports of his wage demands, so why would he accept a transfer knowing he'll get a juicy signing on bonus just 6 months later?

Great keeper on the way down, good luck at Juve.

LARulz

Let's put his form aside for a second, are you sure he demanded anything? Maybe he always intended to leave.
Maybe he did intend to leave but if that was the case, Woodward should have sold him and think he would have if it was. Or at least get him to sign on the promise we will sell if the offer over a certain amount comes in or something.

But this isn't the first player we have let get this close to the end of their contract and it's just becoming bad practice it feels

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Im sure United met his wage demands but now he’s concerned for the future of the club. He’ll want to be playing champions league football and winning league titles and we’re looking way off that now.

Mainoldo

If we are cutting the wage budget let him go. He’s not worth what’s on the table. Will just mess up the ethos again.

AaronRedDevil

Why dont they just slap a release clause of 70million and let him go. He clearly doesn't want to be here and also will end up fleecing the club in wages.

dev1l

Seems that in order to stay he wants a big contract (more than 375K a week).
Recent form doesn't justify that.
Moreover he seems less motivated than ever.
If we spend 50 m on a replacement and give him a 200K per week 6 year contract, it ll be still cheaper..

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Maybe he did intend to leave but if that was the case, Woodward should have sold him and think he would have if it was. Or at least get him to sign on the promise we will sell if the offer over a certain amount comes in or something.

But this isn't the first player we have let get this close to the end of their contract and it's just becoming bad practice it feels
I think it would have been pretty hard to sell him when he can sign a free contract with a massive bonus in just a few months.

That's the reason why most clubs are renewing contracts earlier.

Tbh, I am not so fussed about this one (well, not in the way when he wanted to go to Madrid as his form is a bit worrying). But, the problem is that we would need even a new GK for the next season. And deal with Pogba situation most likely.

JG3001

Said last season we should have cashed in while we had the chance. Little good in having a top keeper when the outfield is crap and in desperate need of rejuvenation.

Plus his form has been iffy for some time now.

Shame, he should go down as a club legend but he’s morphing into a mercenary.

Last edited:

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
This one is on De Gea. Think he’s been looking to run the contract down and move on a free for some time. Not convinced its just about money either, I think he wants to be in Spain. If he had been upfront to the club he would of been sold and replaced with good memories of his time here, but stringing out the contract negotiations just to keep the clock ticking tarnishes it a bit

Irrational.

Piss poor planning from the higher ups once again. Once it was clear he wasn’t signing he should’ve been shipped off this summer. And feck Juve.

Morpheus 7

Why dont they just slap a release clause of 70million and let him go. He clearly doesn't want to be here and also will end up fleecing the club in wages.
Why would he agree to that if he wants to go, what you said makes no sense. He can talk to clubs outside England in January. This is United's fault, we are the new Arsenal. Run so badly it's infuriating.

stubie

I’d feel comfortable with Henderson, Romero and Perrira next season

Looks like the days of over inflated contracts at the club are starting to end

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Crazy reading the comments here how quickly our opinion of De Gea has changed - and I agree. He would’ve gone for £100m. Not long ago

Acole9

Outstanding
I think it’s time for a change. Has been very poor for the last 12 months, not ideal from a financial perspective but there’s an argument to say he should be dropped anyway.
I agree, two years ago I would've said we should keep him at all costs. I'm really not that bothered now, there are other goalkeepers out there who can come in and do a good job for us.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Crazy reading the comments here how quickly our opinion of De Gea has changed - and I agree. He would’ve gone for £100m. Not long ago
Our opinion has quickly changed because his ability changed, and its been awhile.
He’s not a special keeper anymore and his proposed contract is mental for any keeper let alone for someone who’s helpless with the ball and on top of that has been average for a year now.

CM

The contracts Rashford and Maguire were given over the summer would suggest otherwise.

stubie

The contracts Rashford and Maguire were given over the summer would suggest otherwise.
I think that’s more a case of them having a desire to be here. Don't really get that with De Gea at the moment.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Should never have let it get to this. How we let our key players get this close to the end is ridiculous. It's not like he was a good player we could maybe replace, he was our best player for years and of all the players, deserved his demands to be met
They have tried to get him to sign for a long time (reports of wages more than high enough) and then to sell him when it's 6 months until he can a sign with other clubs wasn't going to happen.

AaronRedDevil

Why would he agree to that if he wants to go, what you said makes no sense. He can talk to clubs outside England in January. This is United's fault, we are the new Arsenal. Run so badly it's infuriating.
Hopeful gratefulness? Sell him cheaply and in the meantime he gets paid more too. Rather lose him for even £50m then for free.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Meh, he’s been great in the past but he isn’t worth breaking the bank for anymore. 3 years ago I’d have dreaded him leaving, but we’ve had his best years. He probably deserves a few easy Serie A titles and a shot at the CL.

Bondi77

If he wants to play Chmps League for the rest of his career then he should go to PSG or Juve and I have no problem with that and I also have no problem with signing him for another two seasons but six would be madness.

Giggsyking

Should never have let it get to this. How we let our key players get this close to the end is ridiculous. It's not like he was a good player we could maybe replace, he was our best player for years and of all the players, deserved his demands to be met
He is already one of the highest paid goalkeepers in the world, he is paid more than Alisson who just signed for Liverpool "who is better than him". So paying him what he deserve is less than what Alisson getting (less than 190k a week).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
All the big hitters reporting this. Star, Express and Metro.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

That’s a significant downgrade.

Dan_F

It should have been sorted before the start of the season. Either sign the contract or sell him. It would be quite mad to offer him so much anyway in this form.

I don’t think Henderson is ready, but we are going to have to pay an absolute fortune to buy a replacement.

Stadjer

Can you really blame him for wanting a lot of money?

He has been (one of) the best goalkeepers for years. You wont find many better goalkeepers of his generation but what does he have to show for it? He didnt win much, had to play in terrible teams with even worse defenders when he most likely thought he would have been winning leagues and champion leagues when he signed for Manchester United.

I can imagine he would like to leave to win titles but that he is willing to not win big titles with Manchester United IF he will get a lot of money for it.

LARulz

He is already one of the highest paid goalkeepers in the world, he is paid more than Alisson who just signed for Liverpool "who is better than him". So paying him what he deserve is less than what Alisson getting (less than 190k a week).
You pay him what he is worth to the club. He is the best player and has points winner or saver. Allison isn't even their fourth best player so doesn't matter what he's on. De Gea is more valuable to us and it's not like there is an easy replacement that will be cheap.

Whatever the case, we should have done anything it took last year. If he didn't want to sign then sell him. Now we will lose him on a free and pay top money as everyone knows we'll be desperate and for a goalkeeper who realistically won't be as good

Sir Scott McToMinay

Can you really blame him for wanting a lot of money?

He has been (one of) the best goalkeepers for years. You wont find many better goalkeepers of his generation but what does he have to show for it? He didnt win much, had to play in terrible teams with even worse defenders when he most likely thought he would have been winning leagues and champion leagues when he signed for Manchester United.

I can imagine he would like to leave to win titles but that he is willing to not win big titles with Manchester United IF he will get a lot of money for it.
He should go to China then.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If we resign him for that sort of money where does that leave Dean Henderson? He might not be ready yet, but if we say a couple of years he will be, then we will be paying a kings ransom for somebody sat on the bench once Henderson is in the team. Either show faith in Henderson or if they are not sure get a better keeper, because I am having serious doubts about DDG.

DomesticTadpole

You pay him what he is worth to the club. He is the best player and has points winner or saver. Allison isn't even their fourth best player so doesn't matter what he's on. De Gea is more valuable to us and it's not like there is an easy replacement that will be cheap.

Whatever the case, we should have done anything it took last year. If he didn't want to sign then sell him. Now we will lose him on a free and pay top money as everyone knows we'll be desperate and for a goalkeeper who realistically won't be as good
He saved us points in the past, but now he is costing us numerous points.

Falcow

To be fair, I dont see what else we could have done here, we have offered him a ludicrous contract and we cant force him to sign. I have no problem with him leaving for free as firstly he owes us nothing at this stage and we have gotten good value out of him for a signing free of 20m. Secondly I think we have seen the best of him and a change is no harm. There are other attainable keepers who can command their area better than Ddg, distribution also not as good as it should be. I'd like to see henderson get a chance if he has a good season again with Sheffield utd.

Mihai

Leaves a bit of a bad taste, the guy has wanted out virtually since he became a top keeper, it's just circumstance, and lack of offers have stopped it happening.
I imagine there wouldn't be any bad taste if this happened with Ronaldo.

DomesticTadpole

No wonder he won’t sign if he’s only been offered £350 a week.
Why does he now think he's worth more. United could shoot down any of his arguments. Where a lot of goalies are coming into their prime now, he seems to be going in the opposite direction. He likely isn't Spain No. 1 anymore either. It is a very awkward situation.

Stadjer

@Stadjer going by what's been reported, he's been offered a lot of money at about £350 a week.
I guess he finds winning titles more improtant than getting a lot of money. If he leaves and joins Juventus he can be sure that he will win a league and with the Juventus their CL obsession he might even win one of those.

I actually "respect" it if he leaves to win things instead of staying to pick up a massive paycheck just to battle for 4th place.

He was (maybe still is but hasnt shown that lately) a world class goalkeeper who played in a team with Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia as his defenders. He missed multiple seasons of CL football and will most likely never be part of GOAT goalkeeper discussion because he didnt win much during his career.

I hope he stays and finds his old form back but i cant blame him if he leaves.

Also people thinking Romero or Henderson would be a better option.... really? :houllier:

Patience

The most overrated player to play for us this millennium.

A FANTASTIC shot stopper, but that's it. In the modern game, keepers need a helluva lot more than shot stopping. The reason he is a great shot-stopper is because he plays inside his 6-yard box. That's it. He offers nothing else and relies on shot-stopping as his only attribute.

The amount of goals he costs us is mammoth and never notices. The guy just stands on his line... the goal everybody is ripping Lindelof apart for against Southampton? De Gea's fault. This happens all the time and De Gea barely gets any slagging for it. The amount of goals scored against us because we don't have a keeper who can come for crosses is huge. And the amount of times our defenders have to face goal and deal with an over-the top ball because De Gea won't move his arse is also huge.

Just because he makes a deadly save or two every month does not make him a great goalkeeper.

I think we'll massively improve when he's gone. He is not a good enough keeper. You would not be a comfortable defender with him behind you.

He is not rated outside of Premier League pundits. Nobody outside England thinks he is one of the best in the world.. far from it.

Vastly overrated.

LARulz

He saved us points in the past, but now he is costing us numerous points.
He has cost us a few but think it's more a patch. It could also be his mind is elsewhere/not focused. In which case the club need an answer sooner rather than later so they can decide if it's worth playing on a keeper who is day dreaming about what it will be like to have Ronaldo scoring the other end than praying Rashford or whoever isn't skying it

I just want it sorted. If it's a case of money then just lay the guy unless he is asking for Messi/Ronaldo level money. If it's that he wants out then to be honest, I'd rather just drop him

soralapio

Yeah it doesn't work like that. Different clubs have different wage structures and while United tried to keep theirs relatively sane for years, the Sanchez deal messed all of that up. £190k a week is not "the most important player in the team" wages for a Manchester United player anymore. Considering how utterly crucial Dave has been for United for most of his career he's right to ask for top wages. I also don't buy the ludicrous story that Dave's suddenly turned shit overnight. He only started chucking them into his own net towards the tail end of last season, and that kind of physical decline doesn't happen overnight, especially not for keepers. It's not physical, it's mental. The contract negotiations, and probably the overall uncertain situation at United, are getting in his head.

I have all the sympathy in the world for Dave. He's still in his prime and could be winning titles with any number of teams, but he's at Manchester United who are currently HOPING to maybe compete for a top 4 finish if the stars align. Managers are coming and going in a revolving door, and most of the squad is not exactly world class. Sign a big contract and tie the rest of his prime years to the club in the hopes that they'll somehow turn things around and get back to the top, or go elsewhere and try to win while you're still good for it?

The most overrated player to play for us this millennium.

The amount of goals he costs us is mammoth and never notices.
That's mental. Either you've started watching football in the past year, or you have a very poor memory. The amount of points Dave's single-handedly won United over the years is far, far, FAR greater than the amount of points he's cost us.

Edit:

Here is a list of INDIVIDUAL honors Dave's won while at United, not counting the numerous Player of the Game awards he's won:
Yeah he's well shit innit? Seriously it's shameful the way some United supporters behave these days. A player has a bad game and he's getting ripped to shreds. A player hits a bad patch of form and he's a shit has been who should be shipped to Australia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.