De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Yes, De Gea is a world class shot stopper but a keeper today has to have more, like being a sweeper also. Most times he is stuck on his line when he needs to come out and meet the attacker.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I mean de Gea is a world class shot stopper, one of the best when on form, but he's got distinct weaknesses in the "modern" aspects of his position and lately (or in case of his NT career, always) has been kind of error prone. I can't imagine cementing a ruined wage structure for at least 6 years is the smart thing to do.

Giggsyking

You pay him what he is worth to the club. He is the best player and has points winner or saver. Allison isn't even their fourth best player so doesn't matter what he's on. De Gea is more valuable to us and it's not like there is an easy replacement that will be cheap.

Whatever the case, we should have done anything it took last year. If he didn't want to sign then sell him. Now we will lose him on a free and pay top money as everyone knows we'll be desperate and for a goalkeeper who realistically won't be as good
He is worth what he is worth to the market. But why the replacement wont be as good? It is not like De Gea is the best keeper in the world, he is not even the best keeper in his national team that is desperate for a goalkeeper.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Why does he now think he's worth more. United could shoot down any of his arguments. Where a lot of goalies are coming into their prime now, he seems to be going in the opposite direction. He likely isn't Spain No. 1 anymore either. It is a very awkward situation.
Personally, I don't think he is after money.

A FANTASTIC shot stopper, but that's it. In the modern game, keepers need a helluva lot more than shot stopping. The reason he is a great shot-stopper is because he plays inside his 6-yard box. That's it. He offers nothing else and relies on shot-stopping as his only attribute.
No shit... And where excatly he should be positioned while stopping those shots? Near the corner flag?

stepic

No shit... And where excatly he should be positioned while stopping those shots? Near the corner flag?
If you bothered to keep reading you would know. The guy stays on his line too much. Completely agree that that goal Lindelof got crucified for was De Gea’s fault.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

You wonder what Ole thinks about him truthfully, not soundbites for the press? Seeing Ole wants us to play the so-called 'United Way' his distribution is atrocious. At times he puts himself under pressure by making bad passes from the back. Have we signed Maguire to cover these faults?

Giggsyking

I guess he finds winning titles more improtant than getting a lot of money. If he leaves and joins Juventus he can be sure that he will win a league and with the Juventus their CL obsession he might even win one of those.

I actually "respect" it if he leaves to win things instead of staying to pick up a massive paycheck just to battle for 4th place.

He was (maybe still is but hasnt shown that lately) a world class goalkeeper who played in a team with Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia as his defenders. He missed multiple seasons of CL football and will most likely never be part of GOAT goalkeeper discussion because he didnt win much during his career.

I hope he stays and finds his old form back but i cant blame him if he leaves.

Also people thinking Romero or Henderson would be a better option.... really? :houllier:
He will get more money in Italy because he will leave on the free and the new Tax law he will benefit from. So no, he is more after the money, titles will be a bonus. And I understand that, he wants to secure his and his family's future.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
350k a week for not even a top five keeper anymore. We have really lost is salary wise.

Cypherage

I think now it is a case of if he leaves he leaves, can't say I would be overly bothered, if he does not want to be at the club fine, don't let the door hit you on the way out, simple as that, no time for sentiment, heck he might even refind his form in Italy, good on him, United will move on. He is a great shot-stopper, has been a good not great but good goalkeeper for us.

But he has his flaws, he will never have matched the greatness of Schmeichel & Van Der Sar, in terms of their ability to control and command their area and that has always been his weakness, but other than that, he did a job for us, but time wait's for no one, so chow Dave if he decides to go.

Jim Beam

If you bothered to keep reading you would know. The guy stays on his line too much. Completely agree that that goal Lindelof got crucified for was De Gea’s fault.
I bothered to read. The whole post is an absolute mess, so I won't even go into it. Never rated outside England? It is absolutely feckin amazing what 1 bad year can do to a players reputation around here.
He has his issues, but for around 5, 6 years he was truly amazing.

But, this is an absolute gem. The reason he is a brilliant shot-stopper is because he plays inside his 6 yards? Yea, that's certainly not the reason why he is a brilliant shot-stopper.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yeah it doesn't work like that. Different clubs have different wage structures and while United tried to keep theirs relatively sane for years, the Sanchez deal messed all of that up. £190k a week is not "the most important player in the team" wages for a Manchester United player anymore. Considering how utterly crucial Dave has been for United for most of his career he's right to ask for top wages. I also don't buy the ludicrous story that Dave's suddenly turned shit overnight. He only started chucking them into his own net towards the tail end of last season, and that kind of physical decline doesn't happen overnight, especially not for keepers. It's not physical, it's mental. The contract negotiations, and probably the overall uncertain situation at United, are getting in his head.

I have all the sympathy in the world for Dave. He's still in his prime and could be winning titles with any number of teams, but he's at Manchester United who are currently HOPING to maybe compete for a top 4 finish if the stars align. Managers are coming and going in a revolving door, and most of the squad is not exactly world class. Sign a big contract and tie the rest of his prime years to the club in the hopes that they'll somehow turn things around and get back to the top, or go elsewhere and try to win while you're still good for it?

That's mental. Either you've started watching football in the past year, or you have a very poor memory. The amount of points Dave's single-handedly won United over the years is far, far, FAR greater than the amount of points he's cost us.

Edit:

Here is a list of INDIVIDUAL honors Dave's won while at United, not counting the numerous Player of the Game awards he's won:
Yeah he's well shit innit? Seriously it's shameful the way some United supporters behave these days. A player has a bad game and he's getting ripped to shreds. A player hits a bad patch of form and he's a shit has been who should be shipped to Australia.
No one is saying he hasn’t been good in the past, it’s his ability now that’s the issue. He’s been poor for a year at least, he used to single handedly win us points, now he’s costing us.

If he was asking for a sensible contract, I’m sure he’d get it but those reported numbers are eye watering for a player who’s not at the top of his game.

Jim Beam

You wonder what Ole thinks about him truthfully, not soundbites for the press? Seeing Ole wants us to play the so-called 'United Way' his distribution is atrocious. At times he puts himself under pressure by making bad passes from the back. Have we signed Maguire to cover these faults?
Not really sure. I would imagine he would like to keep him just so he doesn't have to deal with another position in the summer.

Probably not at all costs though.

Giggsyking

Yeah it doesn't work like that. Different clubs have different wage structures and while United tried to keep theirs relatively sane for years, the Sanchez deal messed all of that up. £190k a week is not "the most important player in the team" wages for a Manchester United player anymore. Considering how utterly crucial Dave has been for United for most of his career he's right to ask for top wages. I also don't buy the ludicrous story that Dave's suddenly turned shit overnight. He only started chucking them into his own net towards the tail end of last season, and that kind of physical decline doesn't happen overnight, especially not for keepers. It's not physical, it's mental. The contract negotiations, and probably the overall uncertain situation at United, are getting in his head.

I have all the sympathy in the world for Dave. He's still in his prime and could be winning titles with any number of teams, but he's at Manchester United who are currently HOPING to maybe compete for a top 4 finish if the stars align. Managers are coming and going in a revolving door, and most of the squad is not exactly world class. Sign a big contract and tie the rest of his prime years to the club in the hopes that they'll somehow turn things around and get back to the top, or go elsewhere and try to win while you're still good for it?

That's mental. Either you've started watching football in the past year, or you have a very poor memory. The amount of points Dave's single-handedly won United over the years is far, far, FAR greater than the amount of points he's cost us.

Edit:

Here is a list of INDIVIDUAL honors Dave's won while at United, not counting the numerous Player of the Game awards he's won:
Yeah he's well shit innit? Seriously it's shameful the way some United supporters behave these days. A player has a bad game and he's getting ripped to shreds. A player hits a bad patch of form and he's a shit has been who should be shipped to Australia.
You cant give new contracts based on form for 3 years ago. His form now (the past year) is shit. So yes, he worth less than what he earns now. Maybe like Rashford's contract a flat rate of 150K per week plus 50k form bonuses. Otherwise, I will gladly see he him out of the club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not really sure. I would imagine he would like to keep him just so he doesn't have to deal with another position in the summer.

Probably not at all costs though.
Due to one goalkeeping error and two penalty misses we should be five points better off. Ole must be thinking everything is against him at the moment.

soralapio

You cant give new contracts based on form for 3 years ago. His form now (the past year) is shit. So yes, he worth less than what he earns now. Maybe like Rashford's contract a flat rate of 150K per week plus 50k form bonuses. Otherwise, I will gladly see he him out of the club.
That's not what you said though. You said he should earn less than or as much as Alisson does at Liverpool because he's worse, and that's not how the world works (even if we agreed that Dave's worse than Alisson). United have money, United have given huge contracts to other players, and so de Gea is well within his rights to ask for top money as well. If United don't think he's worth that, then fair play to them and good luck in finding a replacement who will take less money, knowing the same things Dave knows. But saying "yeah but their keeper is only paid half of that" is just ludicrous.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The stories of him being close to signing a new deal are clearly a load of BS done to try and calm down the hysteria.

Next summer we are likely going to be facing a second consecutive season with no CL football and losing Pogba n DDG. Then the brown stuff will hit the fan.

I'm not giving the club another penny of mine until the club is sold. Letting my season ticket go 4 years ago after going for 25 years with my Dad was the best decision I ever made.

Classical Mechanic

I mean de Gea is a world class shot stopper, one of the best when on form, but he's got distinct weaknesses in the "modern" aspects of his position and lately (or in case of his NT career, always) has been kind of error prone. I can't imagine cementing a ruined wage structure for at least 6 years is the smart thing to do.
He’s been massively error prone for United since the World Cup too. Last season was the first time in a while that our goals conceded was higher than our xGA, that’s mostly because DDG has started letting in numerous saveable shots. He’s also started this season in similar form by letting one shot right through him to lose the game against Palace and being at fault in a smaller way in a couple of other goals with weak box command and staying on his line.

Denis' cuff

Everyone talks about him not being able to play “the modern game”. He doesn’t even play the traditional game. Terrified of coming off his line and doesn’t even command the 6 yd box, never mind the area. Don’t ever recall him rushing to the feet of an oncoming striker to smother the ball at his feet. Good shot stopper though... until the past 12 months or so.

Classical Mechanic

Everyone talks about him not being able to play “the modern game”. He doesn’t even play the traditional game. Terrified of coming off his line and doesn’t even command the 6 yd box, never mind the area. Don’t ever recall him rushing to the feet of an oncoming striker to smother the ball at his feet. Good shot stopper though... until the past 12 months or so.
Which is one of the big reasons we concede so many chances that he used to save (mostly).

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The stories of him being close to signing a new deal are clearly a load of BS done to try and calm down the hysteria.

Next summer we are likely going to be facing a second consecutive season with no CL football and losing Pogba n DDG. Then the brown stuff will hit the fan.

I'm not giving the club another penny of mine until the club is sold. Letting my season ticket go 4 years ago after going for 25 years with my Dad was the best decision I ever made.
It has to start somewhere, people need to accept the fact nothing will change at United until the owners are hit financially, the fans need to be smarter and start thinking about these things.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The most overrated player to play for us this millennium.

A FANTASTIC shot stopper, but that's it. In the modern game, keepers need a helluva lot more than shot stopping. The reason he is a great shot-stopper is because he plays inside his 6-yard box. That's it. He offers nothing else and relies on shot-stopping as his only attribute.

The amount of goals he costs us is mammoth and never notices. The guy just stands on his line... the goal everybody is ripping Lindelof apart for against Southampton? De Gea's fault. This happens all the time and De Gea barely gets any slagging for it. The amount of goals scored against us because we don't have a keeper who can come for crosses is huge. And the amount of times our defenders have to face goal and deal with an over-the top ball because De Gea won't move his arse is also huge.

Just because he makes a deadly save or two every month does not make him a great goalkeeper.

I think we'll massively improve when he's gone. He is not a good enough keeper. You would not be a comfortable defender with him behind you.

He is not rated outside of Premier League pundits. Nobody outside England thinks he is one of the best in the world.. far from it.

Vastly overrated.
What a load of bollox. Easily the best keeper in the world for at least 3 years, people have short memories.

Lemansky

What worries me most about DDGs departure is the clubs total lack of ability to replace outgoing players. Don’t know if Henderson is good enough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What worries me most about DDGs departure is the clubs total lack of ability to replace outgoing players. Don’t know if Henderson is good enough.
This and the fact we already have a shtload of work to do on the team.
The last thing we need is replacing de gea.

izzydiggler

The mental gymnastics in here to claim he’s never been that good are laughable. Our best player for 5 years and unbelievable a lot of the time. At the minute, yeah his standards have dipped but let’s not re-write history.

I hope he stays but looking less likely. Given our position and how awfully the club is run, I’m not that fussed any more about players not wanting to be here. We aren’t challenging for anything, so may as well let players leave who don’t want to be here.

red thru&thru

I never thought I'd say it but I'm more than happy to see him go. Give Henderson his chance!

Patience

Dude; in much the same way that Rio Ferdinand rarely had to make a tackle because he could read the game so much; and in much the same way that Paulo Maldini said if he had to make a tackle, he knew he had already gone wrong - anytime David De Gea has to make a desperate on-the-goalline save, he has already gone wrong.

De Gea makes on-the-goalline-saves with his feet etc because he doesn't do anything else before it gets to that. De Gea plays on his goal line... he doesn't sweep or come for crosses or clean up any mess - or read any danger - before it gets to the point that he has to make a desperate on-the-goalline save.

He is far - FAR - from the greatest keeper in the world. The guys costs his defence.. he is not part of a five-man defence.. He is a keeper who stays on his line and allows the four in front of him to defend.

Jim Beam

Dude; in much the same way that Rio Ferdinand rarely had to make a tackle because he could read the game so much; and in much the same way that Paulo Maldini said if he had to make a tackle, he knew he had already gone wrong - anytime David De Gea has to make a desperate on-the-goalline save, he has already gone wrong.

De Gea makes on-the-goalline-saves with his feet etc because he doesn't do anything else before it gets to that. De Gea plays on his goal line... he doesn't sweep or come for crosses or clean up any mess - or read any danger - before it gets to the point that he has to make a desperate on-the-goalline save.

He is far - FAR - from the greatest keeper in the world. The guys costs his defence.. he is not part of a five-man defence.. He is a keeper who stays on his line and allows the four in front of him to defend.
Dude, have a nice day.

vanderpants

I would have been gutted if this was a few years ago but now I'm not that bothered, having said that, the way Utd are run and controlled now im losing interest in football after supporting them for 30 years and a season ticket holder for 11 years

Sir Scott McToMinay

A 20m a year keeper should:
-Be comfortably with the ball at this feet
-Be able to organize a defence
-Be top class against crosses into the box
-Be at his absolute peak
-Have the ability to save penalties

De Gea is literally neither of these.
I can almost guarantee we wouldn’t be worse off if he left in the summer.

Steve 007

We are talking about our best player and the only player in the squad that has consistently since Fergie left, proved season after season that he is world class.

He made a few errors recently and all of a sudden he is rubbish. I don’t buy it, I remember a few from Peter S back in the day and he was far from done.

Those who remember fergies era well, know how hard it is to replace a great keeper, how many did we go through to replace the Great Dane and some big reputations and names flopped noticeably Barthez.

It was only when we got Van Der Sar we looked good again.

It’s going to cost 100m to replace him and there are is guarantee a replacement would settle.

unclefredo

I'd rather keep De Gea but it's clear as day that we need to start implementing a succession plan for when he does leave.

The problem we have is that it's unlikely he'll renew unless his wages probably are in line with one of the top, or the top, earner at the club. I think we will sell him in January if we can. De Gea is looking out for number 1 - which is fair - but we need to look out for ourselves too.

Regardless of what you think of the team right now, it's clear that we are trying to lower our wage bill in favour of hungry talent. Sadly, Dave is likely declining talent. He's been a great servant but I think meeting his wage demands would be a poor idea in the long term.

There is alot of revisionism on here - he has been a hugely important player for us - but I also don't think our keeper is the most important position for our team. If we can bring in a competent all rounder (that's what VDS was when he joined us at 35), it'd be the right decision to sell. I'll be very surprised if he's at the club in a year.

Reactions: Ødegaard
Status
Not open for further replies.