De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kps88

I know Castles is meant to be semi-reliable but that has to be bollocks, surely? He wants to stay but we want to cash in on him? What?

Just pay him what he wants.
He wants to stay only if we make him our highest paid player. If we don't, he's threatening to leave on a free transfer. We would obviously prefer to cash in rather than risk losing him for nothing but can't really do that if he's not interest in a move. It all sounds like what usually happens when you let high profile players approach the end of their contract. They basically have you by the balls.

MUFAN79

He deserves to be the club's best paid player. Nobody else even comes close to his level of quality and consistency.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He wants to stay only if we make him our highest paid player. If we don't, he's threatening to leave on a free transfer. We would obviously prefer to cash in rather than risk losing him for nothing but can't really do that if he's not interest in a move. It all sounds like what usually happens when you let high profile players approach the end of their contract. They basically have you by the balls.
He's performing like he should be our highest paid player. Obviously it's speculation at this point, he might be asking for 2 million per week for all we know. But if he's going to sacrifice winning trophies for at least another couple of years then we should absolutely break the bank. Especially as he's the only player we have who is any good. Send Sanchez to the glue factory and give his entire salary to De Gea, I'd honestly be fine with that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I know Castles is meant to be semi-reliable but that has to be bollocks, surely? He wants to stay but we want to cash in on him? What?

Just pay him what he wants.
Castle's was seemingly talking out of his arse over summer so I'd take it with a pinch of salt, probably just trying to capitalise on his direct line to United while he still has one by shit stirring.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Does anyone really think he doesn't deserve to be our best paid player at this point? He's been our player of the decade and could have another decade of football in him. Give him whatever he wants.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Worth every penny.

We can't throw huge money at new signings like Sanchez and not De Gea when De Gea has already given us 7 years of service and is the best in the world in his position. It's a no brainer.

Woodzy

Excellent news and while a lot of money, the only player at the club that deserves it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Shame that he'll only be earning in a week what Alexis does every time he puts on his boots.

Renegade

His most important contract at this stage of his career. We have to pay him the price to sacrifice the highest trophies to stay with us while we remain in this 5 year transition. His wasted 5 seasons with idiotic managers his worth every penny in my opinion.

Mick321

Crazy money for someone with so many weaknesses in his game but hopefully he gets his one great quality back, his freakish shot stopping. Otherwise its yet another dumb contract, but we are used to that!

TrueRed79

Crazy money for someone with so many weaknesses in his game but hopefully he gets his one great quality back, his freakish shot stopping. Otherwise its yet another dumb contract, but we are used to that!
:lol::lol::lol:

Maticmaker

The truth is that eventually whatever salary he gets, if De Gea wants to leave he will.

So far there is no sign he is contemplating moving, but he is a top class keeper and others (besides RM)may come knocking, with 'special offers' and especially if United fail to win silverware on a regular basis. Therefore it makes sense for the club to ensure if David does contemplate leaving it wont be because of the money he's paid at OT.

Cloud7

Finally some good news. Pay him whatever he wants, just get that signature on the paper.

Trizy

Agreed. It's too much money for a keeper regardless of how good he is. We're pretty much being held ransom by a keeper who is already the highest paid keeper in the word.

meamth

Weaknesses? wow. Can you list that down?

Red00012

WUM

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If we are being objective, his passing is below average and I do think he needs to have more authority over his defenders. Those two attributes were Van Der Sar's greatest strengths and while Dave is basically as good as it gets when it comes to stopping a shot from going over the line, we would definitely benefit if he could improve his distribution and organisational skills. With that said, there isn't a goalkeeper in the world I would swap with him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Incredible stuff.

Mick321

Distribution, absolutely loathes leaving his line so loads of these saves he makes (or goals we concede) are sometimes incidents where if he'd just come out the danger would have gone, not particularly good on crosses either. Also been making way too many errors in the last year or so and pratically threw us out of the CL last year albeit after a great first leg display where he kept us in it. Just don't rate him as highly as everyone else, I'm aware I'm alone in that!

Judas

Open to offers
I wouldn't say he has "so many weaknesses" but if people are objective there are a few areas he could improve, and hopefully he can and will. His distribution used to be much better than it is now, but I think a lot of that has to do with hoof ball tactics and the fact our defenders are so uncomfortable on the ball. Having said all that, he's vital to us and the price to replace him would be sickening, I don't want to see us losing our best player, he's worth whatever he wants at this point in time, we need him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
FFS he's clearly on the decline, should have sold him in the summer and got TBITW Alisson before Liverpool did :mad:

;)

Flanders Devil

Bad news is that it’s an insane amount for a keeper. Good news is that it’s so insane that surely no other team (well not many) can match or beat it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I had a look at his posts.

For someone who claims he’s a Man Utd supporter he sure does praise Liverpool and their players a lot.
Yeah noticing the same.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd put some of his lesser moments recently down to Jose, seeing as practically every other player in the squad is seemingly on the decline under him. It can't be a coincidence.

izec

If we were competitive, we wouldnt need to give him that much. But yeah, thanks to our on field misery, we need to compensate with money.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
400k/w.

That would make him what, the 5th best paid payer in the world?

rotherham_red

Distribution, absolutely loathes leaving his line so loads of these saves he makes (or goals we concede) are sometimes incidents where if he'd just come out the danger would have gone, not particularly good on crosses either. Also been making way too many errors in the last year or so and pratically threw us out of the CL last year albeit after a great first leg display where he kept us in it. Just don't rate him as highly as everyone else, I'm aware I'm alone in that!
And yet, both of those things you highlighted were his strengths when LVG was here. It's simply down to the goalkeeping coach who chooses to emphasise other areas of his game.

Lentwood

As much as I believe Dave is our only world-class player I have mixed feelings about this

Where does it end? We’re setting the precedent that we can be held to ransom

Mick321

And yet, both of those things you highlighted were his strengths when LVG was here. It's simply down to the goalkeeping coach who chooses to emphasise other areas of his game.
I don't think his distribution has ever been a strength, it's always been around the 50% area since he's been here and he had one season at 64%, most of the top passing goalies are high 70s at worst. He's actually having a reasonable pass completion at 59% this season by his standards but it's a way off the top guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.