De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The club will eventually buckle. I'm not mad at De Gea, as we only have ourselves to blame, with the wages we've offered to Sanchez et al.

youmeletsfly

The club will eventually buckle. I'm not mad at De Gea, as we only have ourselves to blame, with the wages we've offered to Sanchez et al.
We've only got ourselves to blame, David and his agent have everything set up for them:
- he's our best player in terms of consistency in the last 3-4 years
- his contract is running down
- we're paying Sanchez a feckload of money and he is shit

I mean, I'm not trying to defend his agent here for asking a shitload of money, but let's be a bit honest and realistic, who wouldn't do it given the circumstances?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
We've only got ourselves to blame, David and his agent have everything set up for them:
- he's our best player in terms of consistency in the last 3-4 years
- his contract is running down
- we're paying Sanchez a feckload of money and he is shit

I mean, I'm not trying to defend his agent here for asking a shitload of money, but let's be a bit honest and realistic, who wouldn't do it given the circumstances?
Exactly mate.

ash_86

We have to cave in because of fecking Sanchez. I wish atleast Sanchez transfer worked out well but it's huge flop. Imagine the best paid player in the premier league can hardly take on a defender. Nightmare does come true.

edcunited1878

David should be our highest paid player, no qualms about that. The Sanchez swap with Mkhitaryan was a risk and really neither club has benefited. Sanchez has lost that 5% to 10% that made him a force in the league. But he's still a good squad player to have, just that you shouldn't be paying a squad player that much money...but United knew what they had to pay. That's all on the club, Woody and those who negotiate player contracts...not on the previous manager.

And David keeps himself in great shape mentally and physically. His positioning coupled with anticipation skills when shot stopping is the best in the world. Period. That's what made VDS so special later in his career. Similar to Gigi Buffon, but Buffon is still massive, mobile and commanding of his position.

VJ1762

David should be our highest paid player, no qualms about that. The Sanchez swap with Mkhitaryan was a risk and really neither club has benefited. Sanchez has lost that 5% to 10% that made him a force in the league. But he's still a good squad player to have, just that you shouldn't be paying a squad player that much money...but United knew what they had to pay. That's all on the club, Woody and those who negotiate player contracts...not on the previous manager.

And David keeps himself in great shape mentally and physically. His positioning coupled with anticipation skills when shot stopping is the best in the world. Period. That's what made VDS so special later in his career. Similar to Gigi Buffon, but Buffon is still massive, mobile and commanding of his position.
Atleast Mkhi can pull of some nice dribbles once in a while and bag some goals and assists. Sanchez is arguably the biggest flop in the history of the club, considering the hype he came with and the wages that he is on. Can't dribble, can't pass, can't score, like what is happening? He couldn't get past one man yesterday. Rashford came on and immediately dribbled past 3 of them.

Frank Grimes

I love De Gea but I'm not sure a goalkeeper is ever going to be the clubs highest paid player, the fact that Sanchez has been a flop up to now is not relevant imo. Pretty sure it will all get sorted soon and De Gea will get a big contract that he'd struggle to get anywhere else and one he fully deserves obviously.

reddaz71

Ed Woodward proving once again how much he's out of his depth by making Sanchez the highest paid player without reckoning on the knock on effect when it comes to the renegotiation table with the likes of De Gea!

Greck

Jose cups some blame as well. No care for the wisdom of the club's spendings. Non existent financial management to go with non existent man management

SirAF

Ageist
That could mean he’s considering a future away from Utd though.

Not sure I get the drooling emoji?
Nah, Alvarez is employed by United. He’s not going to post something that suggests what you are interpreting.

MUM

In pic, Tee-shirt on left, has wording ending 'red' and that's a bottle of red the other side of DDG.

It's a done dealio!

Vadim

Nah, Alvarez is employed by United. He’s not going to post something that suggests what you are interpreting.
I didn’t know who or what this Alvarez fellow was about, thanks! :)

Champagne Football

You must mot have lived through the post-Schmeichel years...
I think there's better keepers out there today who could come in and do a job. Kasper would do a job I reckon. Hugo Lloris is brilliant and for the right money would probably come. Oblak for the right money too. Fergie took a few punts back in the day that didn't pay off. He admits himself he could have bought Van Der Sar years earlier

Last edited:

Bwuk

I think there's better keepers out there today who could come in and do a job. Kasper would do a job I reckon. Hugo Lloris is brilliant and for the right money would probably come. Oblak for the right money too. Fergie took a few punts back in the day that didn't pay off. He admits himself he could have bought Van Der Saar years earlier
Hugo Lloris :lol:

Lemansky

I think there's better keepers out there today who could come in and do a job. Kasper would do a job I reckon. Hugo Lloris is brilliant and for the right money would probably come. Oblak for the right money too. Fergie took a few punts back in the day that didn't pay off. He admits himself he could have bought Van Der Saar years earlier

Why buy a goalkeeper worse then the one we have? Buying Lloris would never happen, and Oblak would be closer to 100 million in transfer fees and a hefty wage.

It’s a no brainer renewing with DDG even if it’s expensive.

Djemba-Djemba

Lloris is well into a decline.

We shouldn't be going anywhere near him.

Posh Red

I think there's better keepers out there today who could come in and do a job. Kasper would do a job I reckon. Hugo Lloris is brilliant and for the right money would probably come. Oblak for the right money too. Fergie took a few punts back in the day that didn't pay off. He admits himself he could have bought Van Der Sar years earlier
The guy probably wins us about ten points a season. If you ask most opppsition fans who they’d take if they could nick a player from us, many of them will say De Gea. I think you’re underestimating how important he is to us.

Champagne Football

Why buy a goalkeeper worse then the one we have?
For the same reason Fergie wouldn't give Pogba an extra 10 grand a week before he bailed to Juventus. Fergie knew it would destroy the reserves/U23's because if you gave one of them the extra cash then they'd all demand it. So he was happy to stick with Cleverley, Anderson and Kagawa in the first team instead. Inferior players who he knew could do a job for him

rotherham_red

No fecking chance to Schmeichel jnr and Lloris. The former has never been good enough and the latter is far too prone to mistakes - often on the biggest stage.

Yes, Fergie took punts on the keepers and it's why our defence went from being imperious in 99, to flakey as feck until VDS came in, in 2005.

Oblak is the only one from the list you mentioned who would be an acceptable replacement, but will likely cost upwards of £80m, minimum.

izec

People are far too obsessed with replacements. Big Serge and Grant are there to help Deano settle in. Not worried

deafepl

If we give De Gea 350K+, he could earn more than Lloris, Ederson, and Alisson combined, that's fecked up, he can do one if he demands 350k and won't accept any less despite being the highest paid goalkeeper in world on 200K+

SteveW

Easier said than done, who'd want him on those wages in current form?
Letting him go on a free would allow clubs to offset it a bit. We need to get him off the books however we manage it. He may accept lower wages rather than sit in our reserves for 3 years.

SteveW

If we give De Gea 350K+, he could earn more than Lloris, Ederson, and Alisson combined, that's fecked up, he can do one if he demands 350k and won't accept any less despite being the highest paid goalkeeper in world on 200K+
Remember the Barthez, Howard, Carroll, Bosnich days?

Edit: Foster also.

gza the genius

I get that we can't let the Sanchez mistake dictate all future salaries but I'd really rather not have DDG be the one we put our foot down on. Ship Sanchez out whatever it takes to bring things back down to a relative normal and give DDG whatever he wants (Pogba and Rashford too).

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Sanchez transfer has been a disaster. Hopefully Dave and the club can find middle ground on the deal.
fecking insane that deal happened. Sanchez was on a free. Pay the agent a fecking sign on fee, but dont feck your wage structure for wages on a free transfer. Players dont see any of the transfer value so they dont give a shit. All they see is Alexis Sanchez earning stupid money and putting in shit performances.

tony54

It must be tough on De Gea because until Oly came along I think he had every right to leave. I still think if I were him I would leave probably for Real or Barcelona, a, for a better chance of silverware and b, to play in his suñny home country.
Oly could/ can produce silverware but woodward is a bottle neck to buying the best playérs.
I hope he does stay but all the best if he goes, he's given us great entertainment.

Tiber

That could mean he’s considering a future away from Utd though.

Not sure I get the drooling emoji?
Not sure the United goalkeeper coach would be allowed to post something hinting he is excited to see a star player refuse a new deal

He is the only Jose coach that didn't get sacked. Apparently De Gea loves him

Revan

Assumptionman
Ed Woodward proving once again how much he's out of his depth by making Sanchez the highest paid player without reckoning on the knock on effect when it comes to the renegotiation table with the likes of De Gea!
Problem is, Sanchez was supposed to be good. If he has been playing as good as he did for Arsenal, then De Gea wouldn't be looking for the same salary (cause Sanchez would have been a better player). But Sanchez being shit means that players better than him will look for parity. I believe that both De Gea and Pogba will get the new contract which gives them parity to Sanchez.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Problem is, Sanchez was supposed to be good. If he has been playing as good as he did for Arsenal, then De Gea wouldn't be looking for the same salary (cause Sanchez would have been a better player). But Sanchez being shit means that players better than him will look for parity. I believe that both De Gea and Pogba will get the new contract which gives them parity to Sanchez.
De Gea has been here for 8 years and in those 8 been the best player for 5 so no matter how Sánchez would have performed De Gea would have been deserved of at least as good of a contract as Sánchez has.

Revan

Assumptionman
De Gea has been here for 8 years and in those 8 been the best player for 5 so no matter how Sánchez would have performed De Gea would have been deserved of at least as good of a contract as Sánchez has.
If Sanchez would have been playing as good as for Arsenal (likely a top 3 player in the league), he would have been our best player and De Gea wouldn't get the same salary. Sanchez was brought to be our talisman, just that the transfer spectacularly failed, and now we have to suck it and give the same contract to De Gea and Pogba. Same as Rashford will get more or less the same contract as Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.