De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Anyone think it's a bit much to label him a flop at the international stage based on 4 matches and only one specific horrible mistake?

El Zoido

Am I missing something, he’s not been that bad for Spain. One big mistake of course, but otherwise he was fine. He’s being talked about as if he’s a calamity keeper now.

Marca making him the lowest rated player? Give me a break. What about the players that made a billion passes and could barely create a chance and had to rely on a weird own goal for their only goal in 120 minutes of football. But yeah let’s trash the goalkeeper for not saving them in a shootout. Such a load of nonsense.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm surprised that De Gea is being criticised for his performances in the World Cup. If memory serves he made one mistake, the one for Ronaldo's goal, besides that what else did he do wrong? Looking at the goals Spain conceeded I can't think of a single one you can reasonably expect another keeper to have saved.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Theres a difference between having areas he could improve on and making out he's me in goal though.
I've never heard him descibed as a simple shot stopper until 2 weeks ago.
Even then he had less errors than other EPL keeper that led to goals (by the end of April I think) which couldn't be IG he was only a shot stopper? Is nobody exploiting his weaknesses or something?
Funny that!
He is quite obviously not a 'simple shot stopper' (and I would have him as the best keeper in the world still) but I have certainly seen non Utd fans point out some of DDG's weaknesses before. He is pretty rooted to his line and isn't as dominant of his box as you would expect of one of, if not the best keeper, in the world.

As for the errors thing, it is the opposite. Staying on your line and being a shot stopper means you're less likely to make specific errors which lead to goals. The way that Neuer, Ederson, Lloris etc keep goal means that they are more likely to make mistakes and their mistakes are more likely to be spectacular when they happen. The argument is that for every mistake they make, they save (for example, just making up example numbers) 9 opportunities by rushing out of their goal and booting it out before it turns into a one-on-one.

That time they miss obviously looks appalling but if they'd stayed in goal and just been scored against in a one-on-one, it wouldn't have been seen as a mistake in the first place.

Similarly, you can't make a mistake of dropping the ball from a corner and costing a goal if you don't come out with regularity in the first place.

I can see why others may doubt he is the best keeper in the world (for the same reasons many Man Utd fans use to talk about other players) but for me, he is one of the best 2 at least, best keeper in the league and the fact all 19 clubs would be delighted if he went tells you how good a player he is.

I'm also not sure why some fans care what non Man Utd fans think about what he does for Spain. All you guys should care about is how he performs for Man Utd and by that metric, he is one of your best players and a regular match winner for you.

I'm not sure why he only ever dives to the right for penalties though.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Both Schmeichel and Subasic were doing it yesterday, ref just let them.
I know, mate. I hate when a keeper does that on a PK shootout. It really get on my nerves. There are other ways to make the penalty taker loose the focus.

I wasn't just expecting for De Gea to do it, but if he was doing it on a Utd shirt, probably I wouldn't care if it worked, though :devil:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The kind of performance that, imho, make him still below the great dane.

TheReligion

Abusive
He loves United.

Saw a post on his on Twitter which was a re-tweet of the club wishing him luck before the game. He added he loved being part of the family with a big heart emoji.

He's going nowhere.

kthanksbye

He is quite obviously not a 'simple shot stopper' (and I would have him as the best keeper in the world still) but I have certainly seen non Utd fans point out some of DDG's weaknesses before. He is pretty rooted to his line and isn't as dominant of his box as you would expect of one of, if not the best keeper, in the world.

As for the errors thing, it is the opposite. Staying on your line and being a shot stopper means you're less likely to make specific errors which lead to goals. The way that Neuer, Ederson, Lloris etc keep goal means that they are more likely to make mistakes and their mistakes are more likely to be spectacular when they happen. The argument is that for every mistake they make, they save (for example, just making up example numbers) 9 opportunities by rushing out of their goal and booting it out before it turns into a one-on-one.

That time they miss obviously looks appalling but if they'd stayed in goal and just been scored against in a one-on-one, it wouldn't have been seen as a mistake in the first place.

Similarly, you can't make a mistake of dropping the ball from a corner and costing a goal if you don't come out with regularity in the first place.

I can see why others may doubt he is the best keeper in the world (for the same reasons many Man Utd fans use to talk about other players) but for me, he is one of the best 2 at least, best keeper in the league and the fact all 19 clubs would be delighted if he went tells you how good a player he is.

I'm also not sure why some fans care what non Man Utd fans think about what he does for Spain. All you guys should care about is how he performs for Man Utd and by that metric, he is one of your best players and a regular match winner for you.

I'm not sure why he only ever dives to the right for penalties though.
Good post, I've always talked to my friends about DeGea's inability to come out of his line and deal with a dangerous situation, especially notice that because I've played as a CB all my life. He stays rooted for too long and waits for the ball to come to him, this is one aspect of his game that has not shown any improvement since a couple of seasons now, I was hoping it will get better the more he plays for Spain as they like to get their keeper involved in a lot of passing.
These are not doubts about his goalkeeping that have surfaced in the last two weeks, anyone who has watched DeGea every week should be noticing it.

tomaldinho1

It's great for us that he's been made a scapegoat but in reality, Spain were so limp going forward it's amazing they're trying to blame him.

If you consider he conceded 6 goals and only one of them was an obvious error, it also shows how poor Spain are at the back:
  1. Ronaldo penalty. Not expected to save.
  2. DDG error. Completely his fault.
  3. Ronaldo FK. No keeper would save.
  4. One on one vs morocco due to Ramos error. Not expected to save but could have done (worth noting he also made another similar one on one save in the same game after more poor defending)
  5. Morocco goal from corner. No chance.
  6. Penalty vs Russia. Not expected to save

El Zoido

Why is he the scapegoat and not Pique for basketball blocking a header and conceding a penalty?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Am I missing something, he’s not been that bad for Spain. One big mistake of course, but otherwise he was fine. He’s being talked about as if he’s a calamity keeper now.

Marca making him the lowest rated player? Give me a break. What about the players that made a billion passes and could barely create a chance and had to rely on a weird own goal for their only goal in 120 minutes of football. But yeah let’s trash the goalkeeper for not saving them in a shootout. Such a load of nonsense.
What gets me is that they are missing the fact that they should have actually tried to score more goals instead of pass, pass, pass. The Spanish media seem to happy with it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's great for us that he's been made a scapegoat but in reality, Spain were so limp going forward it's amazing they're trying to blame him.

If you consider he conceded 6 goals and only one of them was an obvious error, it also shows how poor Spain are at the back:
  1. Ronaldo penalty. Not expected to save.
  2. DDG error. Completely his fault.
  3. Ronaldo FK. No keeper would save.
  4. One on one vs morocco due to Ramos error. Not expected to save but could have done (worth noting he also made another similar one on one save in the same game after more poor defending)
  5. Morocco goal from corner. No chance.
  6. Penalty vs Russia. Not expected to save
Reading that Spain should be taking a long hard look at the defenders in front of DDG, not DDG himself.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Did Marca really give him the lowest rating? :lol:
The one club They support and back up in the media, Real Madrid are actually the main reason why Spain looked clueless in the World Cup. Sure it was an overreaction from Spain but They got Lopetegui sacked and now apparently They are against De Gea. Probably because They realize He will never be a Real Madrid player now. Easy scapegoat.

Also don't forget when They edited a picture of Michigan Stadium to make it seemed as if there were more Madrid supporters than United's. Shit-stirring pretentious cnuts. The faster Real Madrid lose their dominance in Europe, the better.

Raw

Ander Herrera <3

Also tweeted this, translated to "Absolutely agree, amazing"

Which is in response to a tweet (translates to "You are supposed to serve, protect and fight against harassment and bullying. Very well") responding to the Zaragoza Police making a joke about De Gea (telling people to stay hydrated and avoid being De Gea).

Verminator

Good post, I've always talked to my friends about DeGea's inability to come out of his line and deal with a dangerous situation, especially notice that because I've played as a CB all my life. He stays rooted for too long and waits for the ball to come to him, this is one aspect of his game that has not shown any improvement since a couple of seasons now, I was hoping it will get better the more he plays for Spain as they like to get their keeper involved in a lot of passing.
These are not doubts about his goalkeeping that have surfaced in the last two weeks, anyone who has watched DeGea every week should be noticing it.
That's his style, and it has made him one of the best in the world.
I'm sure if you tweet him, to make him aware, he could improve further.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Anyone think it's a bit much to label him a flop at the international stage based on 4 matches and only one specific horrible mistake?
He was also subpar in the euro 2016.

Deechii

There really is too much noise about De Gea and he has been criticised too hard. Maybe it's because he has been briliant for us, but there is one good point about this. Now he will never leave for Spain.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I love DDG and I love Herrera so much after his post. They both love United. Even Herrera who isn't a guaranteed starter.

PeteManic

He is staying, but we better win something big soon
He'll be at United for as long as they keep making him the highest paid GK in the world with these new contracts. But in all seriousness, he seems like a guy that likes being the no.1 and settled at a (big) club. And any new defenders that come in to play in front of him over the next few years can't get any worse than the current lot.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Courtois heavily linked with Real, that would be their GK sorted for the next decade.

Hopefully the first thing Dave does after returning from vacation is signing that damn extension. Would be nice going a couple of summers without worrying about our best player possibly leaving.

Seven Seas Sardines

Courtois heavily linked with Real, that would be their GK sorted for the next decade.

Hopefully the first thing Dave does after returning from vacation is signing that damn extension. Would be nice going a couple of summers without worrying about our best player possibly leaving.
Dream scenario this Summer:

United - De Gea (lifetime contract)
Real - Courtois (the obnoxious big baby to take Hazard with him)
Chelsea - Alisson (better them than Pool)
Liverpool - Karius (if they do get a new un-concussed keeper, let it be Navas, Cillessen or Ward)
Atlético - Oblak (lifetime contract, don't want him at our rivals)

Courtois would never go to Liverpool, but I hope he goes to Real before Liverpool can get the upper hand in the Alisson saga. If the dippers somehow get Alisson, it's time to start worrying..

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
If it's true that Curtois to Real is a done deal, we're keeping Big Dave for the rest of his career!
Great news if actually true. (last transfer tweet)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So surely Dave stays forever now.

Status
Not open for further replies.