De Gea: "Nobody knows the future. The future is the future. I’m very happy at United."

ghagua

I feel confident that we'll be able to hold onto him with Mourinho in charge if we qualify for the champions league. If we miss out on the champions league, then I can see him walking.

LouisDanGaal

Its pretty much what Ronaldo has said from his first season at Madrid and we read too much into that. I think he'll still be here in 3 or 4 years.

TsuWave

Despite knowing that this is standard response for players these days, I don't have it in me to go through another "only god knows" and drawn out saga/rumours. Just pack your bags and go if that's what's up.

My goat United keeper but hey

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I doubt Jose will be going for the budged option of a Howard/Carroll GK if he were to need a replacement.
They weren't budget options. There just never are many keepers available. SAF also went for Bosnich, Barthez, Taibi, Foster and played van der Gouw because others weren't cutting it. He played 10 different goalkeepers in that 6 season period.

There's no keeper that comes close to De Gea that's on the market. Lloris and Courtois comfortably make up the top 3 in the league with him. Neuer isn't going anywhere and Juventus will also be on the market for a keeper because Buffon is retiring. They're going to throw money at Donnarumma and hope they'll be set yet again with a keeper for 10+ years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Isn't Jose's record of buying/picking keepers pretty bang on...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
They can have him for £10 million. txt.

Coxy

Can't blame him - the guy deserves to be playing in the champions league

Shame if you lose him

pascell

Madrid adopting the scattergun approach to finding a keeper, three linked to them in one day. I can see Curtois angling for the move out of the three. I think de Gea will stay for another season, Donnarumma should stay at Milan for another 3/4 years to help his development.

Steven7290

Didn't stop him signing for Real a couple of years ago though did it (barring the fax machine of course). He still signed on the dotted line to become a Real Madrid player.
I meant for whatever reasons De Gea should go to Real there are more convincing ones that say completely otherwise.

ravi2

Madrid will end up with Courtois imo.

If they do end up targeting DDG we should start throwing money at a few of their players to unsettle them...see how they like it.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Ah the old unknown future line. I suppose they can never fully commit.

In saying that though, Ronaldo was pretty assuring just before he left

Manny

Grammar Police
I wouldn't worry too much about his neutral response. Players are trained nowadays to be non-committal on their futures.

A player saying they want to stay where they are for many years just weakens their hand at contract negotiations.

Be all coy and unsure and you'll get your club to pay out more through fear of losing you.
This. He's not going anywhere.

Between this and every Martial and Jose thread, why is everyone always fearing the worst? Get a grip, drama queens.

ottosec

I don't see what's the problem with that interview... What do people expect him to say?

RedMaestro

Who will we buy on 40 mil? Or even on 65?
We'll miss him when he's gone, our only world class player in the last few seasons and a guarantee of having a fighting chance in any encounter.
It's probably likely that he could leave - as a Spaniard he would maybe like to spend his best years there?

But a replacement close enough to De Gea is a bit hard to find but my choice would probably be Bernd Leno, you can never go wrong with a german goalkeeper. Saw this a while ago, a head to head with Neuer:

AgentP

I feel confident that we'll be able to hold onto him with Mourinho in charge if we qualify for the champions league. If we miss out on the champions league, then I can see him walking.
This. De Gea is one of the best in the world in his position. He would want to be in a team that can win league titles and the CL. We need to start being competitive and soon or he'll leave.

RedMaestro

Madrid are weird, why do they want to get rid of Navas? I can only think of marketing reasons otherwise its bizarre.
Actually not, since they always try to find new "Galacticos". There are three big name GK:s at the moment and they are Neuer, De Gea and Courtouis so it's normal that they'll try to get one of them. They had Casillas as a Spanish NT goalkeeper for a long time and it would probably be great for them to have yet another goalkeeper that represents the Spanish national team.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
They we should just not sell, does he want to play in next summers World Cup?

I don't want to hold him hostage but we have the leverage here.
Yeah well these kind of situations always end up in the player leaving. Payet the last example. Edit: Not saying DDG will definitely leave, talking about those "Sorry, but we won't sell" situations.

Bojan11

Can anyone blame him though? I was annoyed when Ronaldo left as he left a truly great team to join average Madrid team that couldn't get past last 16 of champions league for five years.

But De Gea from a sporting perspective should be keen on a Madrid move as he will have more chance of silverware there.

shaky

This. He's not going anywhere.

Between this and every Martial and Jose thread, why is everyone always fearing the worst? Get a grip, drama queens.
I know. It's like a masochists convention in here sometimes. Oh no, Martial's out of favour and Jose is selling him. Oh no, De Gea has pretty much confirmed he's leaving. Oh no, we dropped 2 points. That's the end of our top 4 chances.
What's the point in stressing over hypothetical situations.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's probably likely that he could leave - as a Spaniard he would maybe like to spend his best years there?

But a replacement close enough to De Gea is a bit hard to find but my choice would probably be Bernd Leno, you can never go wrong with a german goalkeeper. Saw this a while ago, a head to head with Neuer:

To be honest after watching this video it isn't even a question who is better.

By the way, remember Adler? Was regularly linked to us with the nearing VDS exit, our fan and Germany's number 1 before Neuer. You can go wrong with German keepers.
Don't think that Leno or Ter Stegen, let alone others, are capable of what De Gea produces over the last few years.

There is always Donnarumma, of course, although it's hard to predict his career trajectory at this point.

RedDevil@84

If he wants to move on. he goes. He has done everything he could for us. Saved multiple seasons from going complete south. Can't ask for more.