De Gea: "Nobody knows the future. The future is the future. I’m very happy at United."

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
David responding to Marca's article…

...yesterday about Real coming back for him next summer:

"Nobody knows the future," De Gea told AS when asked how he saw his future at United. "The future is the future. I’m very happy at United, it’s a great club. In England football is much enjoyed."

"Madrid? I will not talk about that. On that subject I will not talk any more. Now I must stay focused with my club."

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I guess it is quite likely he'll be off. He could easily just have said, "nah mate, I'm not going anywhere".

SirAF

Ageist
Agree, that reads like a guy who is keeping all options open.
Yup. Don't get me wrong, I love de Gea but I don't think we are that screwed if he goes. The fee would probably be around 40m GBP.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yup. Don't get me wrong, I love de Gea but I don't think we are that screwed if he goes. The fee would probably be around 40m GBP.
Same, he has been absolutely top drawer for us for the last 3.5 seasons or so and kept us in games himself at times so I love him too. But the defense seems to be much better and more solid, and he hasn't been called upon anywhere near as often as in recent seasons, evident by the amount of pages in this thread. I would miss him but I think we would recruit well, be interesting to see who we went for. Yea, something like 40-45 million would be my estimate.

Nero

I wouldn't worry too much about his neutral response. Players are trained nowadays to be non-committal on their futures.

A player saying they want to stay where they are for many years just weakens their hand at contract negotiations.

Be all coy and unsure and you'll get your club to pay out more through fear of losing you.

gorky_utd

I read that marca article yesterday.It says there is a potential 65 mil euro release clause.Also I opened marca today and it says real also targeting courtois and Donnarumma.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yeah that whole future thing reminds me of a certain other player that left for RM.

All we miss now is the "only god knows" comment and we can commence the meltdown.

SirAF

Ageist
I read that marca article yesterday.It says there is a potential 65 mil euro release clause.Also I opened marca today and it says real also targeting courtois and Donnarumma.
IF de Gea were to go we should go all out for that lad.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Not surprising, really. Will either be Courtois or De Gea who goes to Real. Hopefully they opt for Courtois but I think they'd prefer David (Spain #1).

ants7

To me also this talk reminds me a lot of a certain Portugal player.

He looks to be open to the move and I can't blame him. He has done great for us and kept us in games, he deserves a move if he wants it. Even tough Fergie said that it's impossible to go playing on a higher lever from Manchester United, I think it's obvious that Real Madrid is a whole different beast.

We have a fairly OK backup in Romero and I guess we would go for somebody like Donnarumma for a proper nr1. shouldn't Romero be the one.

I'm not that freaked out, really.

prath92

Not surprising, really. Will either be Courtois or De Gea who goes to Real. Hopefully they opt for Courtois but I think they'd prefer David (Spain #1).
but reportedly courtois is set on wanting to leave to spain. and RM is the only option (not a sweeper keeper for barca and no way atletico will spend money on courtois when they have oblak)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Who will we buy on 40 mil? Or even on 65?
We'll miss him when he's gone, our only world class player in the last few seasons and a guarantee of having a fighting chance in any encounter.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's going nowhere guys. That boat sailed along with the fax machine.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Jesus. At least in Ronaldo's case, God knew what was going to happen.

Wouldn't blame de Gea if he left tbh. He has been great for us but it is hard to resist Madrid for any player, let alone for one who is from Madrid, whose girlfriend lives in Madrid, and who has been the best player at his current club and have not won much to show for it.

With his contract still having some time on it and with the way we've been handling our outgoing transfers, I'm confident we will be getting a good fee for him. Not that there is other keepers we can buy with said fee who wouldn't be a notch below but that is another discussion.

Steven7290

Jesus. At least in Ronaldo's case, God knew what was going to happen.

Wouldn't blame de Gea if he left tbh. He has been great for us but it is hard to resist Madrid for any player, let alone for one who is from Madrid, whose girlfriend lives in Madrid, and who has been the best player at his current club and have not won much to show for it.

With his contract still having some time on it and with the way we've been handling our outgoing transfers, I'm confident we will be getting a good fee for him. Not that there is other keepers we can buy with said fee who wouldn't be a notch below but that is another discussion.
And also one life long Atleti boy, former Atleti player, it's like Rashford becoming a young star, leaves and wants to play for City.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't think anyone is under the impression he's going to stay at Utd for the rest of his career, we've done well to keep him for an extra few years after it looked like he was off 18 months ago to be honest.

I'd imagine he'll stay here one more season at most and then probably leave in Summer 2018. God knows who we'll get to replace him though, hopefully it's not another situation like we had after Schmeichel left with us pissing about getting a proper replacement for a few seasons

NYAS

AS. Very reliable and neutral paper that has never been utilised in the Real Madrid propaganda machine.

peridigm

So... who is going to replace Dave? Was just a matter of time. Poor Keylar. Top keeper and Madrid treating him like trash as usual. Wonder why Dave can't see this will be him in 5 years.

Whatever the case, we should put a hard deadline on Dave leaving. June 3rd should do it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not promising however I've a lot of faith in Mourinho being able to organise a defence, we might lose DDG but I bet 100% we're already looking at alternatives. Lloris would be my pick, weaken a rival and get a top keeper.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
We will just troll Madrid again, "Oh fecking hell, e-mailed the wrong contract, oh well, Ashley Young is all yours at just 50million".

Djemba-Djemba

The whole De Gea Fax machine thing is one of the highlights of the post Fergie era to be honest.

Absolutely fecking hilarious to see us blatantly screw Real Madrid over, long overdue too to that mob.

King.of.Red

if he want to leave United, I will be sad but not too worried since our defense under Jose has been very good.
IF de Gea were to go we should go all out for that lad.
agree. amazing young goalkeeper, future Italy no. 1 GK I think.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There are currently 3 teams above us that have worse keepers that have cost them points this season. De Gea makes a huge difference and we won't be able to replace him.

Not a big deal...do you remember the time between Schmeichel and VDS? Awful period of goalkeeping.

Snafu17

Whatever the case, we should put a hard deadline on Dave leaving. June 3rd should do it.
Alternatively we just don't let him leave. He has a contract until 2020 and last summer it was widely reported that the release clause expired in June/July. He's stuck here for another 3 and a half years, if we want him to be.

Sylar

Madrid are weird, why do they want to get rid of Navas? I can only think of marketing reasons otherwise its bizarre.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's the best goalkeeper in the world and if we dont qualify for the CL again, of course he's looking for another top team, especially Madrid

shaky

He's not going anywhere. "Who knows what the future holds" means "I'm bored of getting asked about my future all the time". Ronaldo usually said the same thing about returning to Utd when asked repeatedly over the years.

WayneShears

If he wants to leave we should let him. He has been a great player for the club and helped us out so much. Always been professional all the way through the last time Real Madrid came in to him. However I feel a lot of you are reading in to this way to much. From the comments we have no idea to know what he meant. Remember footballers are a fine tuned media machine now and he would of been coached on what to say.

Lets just crack on with the season and focus on winning as much as possible, getting a top 4 finish and worry about this in the summer.

JON.B

Sloop
It's simple, if we struggle for Champions League football sooner or later he'll be off to somewhere that won't.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Unlike Griezmann, I think this is one instance where it 100% does matter that we ensure CL qualification.