De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Lyng

First of all I think Dave has been a great servant of the club. In my book he is a true legend, especially given how much he saved us in our worst years.
But, much like a player like Maguire, Dave has some clear limits that means he just isnt the right fit if we want to play out from the back.
Mads Hermansen is only 22 and already would improve us.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It'll only be when DDG leaves that we notice how good he's been imo.

Yes he doesn't come for crosses and he's less proactive and his distribution isn't top quality but we will get a keeper who has these things but they will not be as a good a "keeper" as David because that player doesn't exist outside of maybe two keepers who we can't buy.

We will play better as a team but probably get frustrated our keeper isn't making the game winning saves when we are under it like Dave does.

You don't know what you've got til it's done tbh

Bondi77

Erik and his coaches will have big Dave passing like Beckenbaur next season after he has inked a new 3yr contract.

CM

I don't think it'll be a popular pick because most want a younger goalkeeper to grow into the role but I wouldn't mind us going for Keylor Navas in the summer. We need to move away from De Gea and an experienced, low risk signing like that to hold the fort down for a season or two while we work out our longer-term target could work out quite well.

Bondi77

First of all I think Dave has been a great servant of the club. In my book he is a true legend, especially given how much he saved us in our worst years.
But, much like a player like Maguire, Dave has some clear limits that means he just isnt the right fit if we want to play out from the back.
Mads Hermansen is only 22 and already would improve us.

If I had that much time on the ball as a GK I would be taking the ball up to the opposition penalty area and having a crack myself!
What shite league is this??

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I don't think it'll be a popular pick because most want a younger goalkeeper to grow into the role but I wouldn't mind us going for Keylor Navas in the summer. We need to move away from De Gea and an experienced, low risk signing like that to hold the fort down for a season or two while we work out our longer-term target could work out quite well.
I've never actually watched him very much, but isn't Navas basically the exact same type of keeper as De Gea? Good shot-stopper, but poor at passing, sweeping and coming for crosses? Perhaps not quite as bad, but hardly a good all-rounder.

CM

I've never actually watched him very much, but isn't Navas basically the exact same type of keeper as De Gea? Good shot-stopper, but poor at passing, sweeping and coming for crosses? Perhaps not quite as bad, but hardly a good all-rounder.
I haven't watched enough of him to say definitively either, to be honest. From what I've seen he doesn't exactly excel at passing and sweeping but he looks more competent at it than De Gea.

Maybe not the ideal choice but we do need a clean break from De Gea. Even if he re-signs on reduced terms (and De Gea's 'reduced' terms will still be huge) I think we'll be stuck with him for a little while yet. We've been delaying the inevitable with the goalkeeper situation for a few years already. I'd rather we do something about it in the summer, even if it involves a stopgap signing first before settling on the eventual outcome.

Lyng

If I had that much time on the ball as a GK I would be taking the ball up to the opposition penalty area and having a crack myself!
What shite league is this??
It's the Danish League. But if you look at the Portuguese or even German league keepers have much less pressure than in the Premier League. You can still see that Mads is much more comfortable on the ball than Dave.

dinostar77

Last edited:

Idxomer

That would be terrible and 205k/week doesn't reflect his real value to the team.

Kag

It'll only be when DDG leaves that we notice how good he's been imo.

Yes he doesn't come for crosses and he's less proactive and his distribution isn't top quality but we will get a keeper who has these things but they will not be as a good a "keeper" as David because that player doesn't exist outside of maybe two keepers who we can't buy.

We will play better as a team but probably get frustrated our keeper isn't making the game winning saves when we are under it like Dave does.

You don't know what you've got til it's done tbh
No, we’ll realise just how long we were carrying a goalkeeper who wasn’t good enough anymore.

dinostar77

God I hope we don’t sign Meslier.
Hes got alot going for him, tall, good aerial reach, good anticipation, good at one on ones, good reflexes, good anticiption, jumping reach, agility.

A solid platform to build upon for ETH. The fact that we have been linked with this lad across different managers and coaching staff makes me think the scouts and goalkeeping coaches see something in him.

After it takes certain type of keeper to have the mental strength to stay focused for 90mins and pull off a wonder save out of nowhere.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
De Gea had a stinker a few months back against Everton, apart from that he’s been very good this season. I wonder how many points he’s saved us with his stunning saves.

Very few top keepers on paper have come in to Utd and set the world alight, most have failed. That can be said of most PL keepers, the sweeper or playing out from the back style keeper is great when it works, didn’t for Newcastle yesterday.
Just look at us trying to replace the Great Dane.
Barthez was the most highly rated flop I remember, not forgetting Howard, Carroll, Bosnich, Tiabi, the only success was Van Der Saar then finally De Gea.
There have been games he saved us, there have been games where everything flew past him, overall it's not a great season for De Gea (although I would say he's "ok to good" in terms of shotstopping, even if stats don't reflect that).

However, his lack of proactiveness is criminal and that alone is a good enough reason to replace De Gea:

The rest of parameters for him this season he's average or below, I really don't understand why people want to keep him for longer. This team needs a new goalkeeper to progress.

Todd

I can understand the desire to move on to a modern GK who can play out from the back and be more of a sweeper, but I can't see it as being the top priority. The top priority should be Osimhen or a player like him. The second priority should be De Jong or a player like him. The third priority should be Timber or a player like him. The fourth priority can be a new keeper.

Olecurls99

The Sun reckon De Gea will get a new contract at a lower wages of 250k a week. But Meisler will be bought this summer as de gea's long term replacement.

Seeing as we have been linked with the leeds keeper for past few summers, it doesnt come as a suprise.

Personally hes young keeper id go for as a phased replacement for de gea.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21434957/man-utd-illan-meslier-leeds-transfer-david-de-gea/
Sweet Jesus

He might have great stats, I don't care, but for the love of God no.

Bojan Djordjic

We are going to have to disagree on this, DDG is one of the best shot stoppers in the world. Over the last 10 years he’s without a doubt one of our best and most consistent performers. He’s not a sweeper keeper. We are all obsessed with the sweeper keeper but It’s fad and only very few keepers do it. When Conte came into Chelsea his team was going to dominate forever after going 3 at the back. Then pep and Klopp have had success with sweeper keepers and we are all so obsessed that the best keeper we’ve had for a long while is no longer good enough.
With respect, what he did ten years ago has no bearing on what he is now. The fact is that De Gea has consistently been at his best when we were at our worst. He's still capable of making showreel saves but in terms of bread and butter, the metrics show that he just isn't that good a shot-stopper anymore.

Sweeper keeper isn't just some thing people have picked up on as some desirable aesthetic they like in their keepers, it's fundamental to countering pressing teams and in the PL, everyone presses so we're at a major disadvantage to teams like City, Liverpool and Arsenal when our keeper is removed as a passing option when playing out from the back because at best he will play a 50/50 ball into the middle of the pitch but as we have frequently seen he has passed it straight to the opposition in our own third and given away countless goals. It also means our defence can't play further up the pitch because he can't be trusted to come off his line in dangerous situations. It isn't even just sweeping though, it's his inability to relieve pressure on the defence by claiming crosses too and we've all seen how bad we've been from set-pieces which he must also take a lot of credit for.

Lux Thunder

I can understand the desire to move on to a modern GK who can play out from the back and be more of a sweeper, but I can't see it as being the top priority. The top priority should be Osimhen or a player like him. The second priority should be De Jong or a player like him. The third priority should be Timber or a player like him. The fourth priority can be a new keeper.
Focusing purely on the pitch, I will rank priorities similar to yours, with CF and CM above GK, but when you have one of the top earners in your squad who doesn't fit the way you play, surely it is among the top priorities to move him economically wise.

Ps. No Meslier, please.

arnie_ni

There have been games he saved us, there have been games where everything flew past him, overall it's not a great season for De Gea (although I would say he's "ok to good" in terms of shotstopping, even if stats don't reflect that).

However, his lack of proactiveness is criminal and that alone is a good enough reason to replace De Gea:

The rest of parameters for him this season he's average or below, I really don't understand why people want to keep him for longer. This team needs a new goalkeeper to progress.
What does that bottom stat mean? 69 ranking

arnie_ni

I also have keeper 4th, sometimes 3rd depending on the day.

Bojan Djordjic

The Sun reckon De Gea will get a new contract at a lower wages of 250k a week. But Meisler will be bought this summer as de gea's long term replacement.

Seeing as we have been linked with the leeds keeper for past few summers, it doesnt come as a suprise.

Personally hes young keeper id go for as a phased replacement for de gea.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21434957/man-utd-illan-meslier-leeds-transfer-david-de-gea/
Christ, this would be an absolute world class piece of dumbfeckery by our recruitment team. Sign a past it player on terms at least double his actual market value thus ensuring you can never offload him during his contract term AND you sign one of the most underwhelming keepers in the league as his long term back up.

Bojan Djordjic

No idea if he's a strong shot stopper but the Burnley keeper Muric is an absolute baller.

led_scholes

His poor distribution has created most of Leicester 's chances. He gets the ball and immediately it falls back to the opponent.

Trequarista10

Two fantastic saves in the first half. The Banks-eqsue one getting more plaudits but the 1v1 save from Barnes was possibly the more difficult.

Kag

He’ll always make fantastic saves because he’s fantastic at doing that. I’m glad he’s doing that today.

He also needs to be replaced as soon as possible due to his other weaknesses that negatively impact the team.

Both viewpoints are comprehendable and very much accurate.

Holters

His poor distribution has created most of Leicester 's chances. He gets the ball and immediately it falls back to the opponent.
What a bunch of nonsense. Leicester are packing the midfield and we are being forced to go long from De Gea. His distribution has been fine this match. On top of that he has had two absolute world class saves and kept us in the game. Martinez f.ex., has been nonchalant and sloppy in his passing today, but no-one mentions it because he's the flavor of the season.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He’ll always make fantastic saves because he’s fantastic at doing that. I’m glad he’s doing that today.

He also needs to be replaced as soon as possible due to his other weaknesses that negatively impact the team.

Both viewpoints are comprehendable and very much accurate.
You'll get a few good passages of play but another keeper concedes those chances and we are 2-0 down.

PSV

In an alternate world we have Mr. Wonderpass in goal and find ourselves 0-2 down at the break.

I don't know why some people find it so hard to give credit where its due.

predator

Youth NITK
He's a solid goalkeeper who is also capable of instant reaction saves that save our ass. Like every goalkeeper that has ever existed, he is capable of making a mistake.

He could easily finish in the top 5 most appearances for the club. Maybe it's time to give him the respect he deserves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In an alternate world we have Mr. Wonderpass in goal and find ourselves 0-2 down at the break.

The saves were excellent.

He is not the only goalkeeper available at the highest level of football capable of making excellent saves though. It isn't an either/or situation, we don't lose the ability for saves to be made if we opt for anyone other than this one goalkeeper.

Steve 007

Another goalkeeper is capable of making fantastic saves, too, so your point is hypothetical and a bit daft, in truth.
Who? Who makes these two saves, they are world class and he does it time after time year after year.

Kag

Who isn’t?

He’s been excellent so far today. The wider discussion still has merit, however.

Steaming in every time De Gea makes a great save to castigate the opposition view is weird, isn’t it?