De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

El Jefe

I wasn't sure earlier but its a must for him to be replaced next season. He is so poor at playing out from the back and still scared to leave his line.

When we finally get a modern keeper it will feel like the relief felt when we finally got a DM.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I wasn't sure earlier but its a must for him to be replaced next season. He is so poor at playing out from the back and still scared to leave his line.

When we finally get a modern keeper it will feel like the relief felt when we finally got a DM.
We saw it for a few games when Henderson got a chance. I know he’s not the answer, but we looked so much better with him there, imagine how a decent modern GK would improve us.

Devil81

Thought he was culpable for both goals myself.

There are parts of his game he's improved massively but he gets beaten for soft goals so often it bothers me.

Theo88

I get DDG isnt a strong /elite Sweeper K but are we overly critical of him? Name one GK who hasnt fecked a couple of chances in their past 12 months. Is there anyone ?

DDG is night in night out one of the best performing players we get and we seem as a fanbase to be stuck to his performance from 2-3 years ago?

his salary is getting adjusted to something more relevant soon, I still dont get all the hate and criticism. On the plus note that part of his game is also improving- even last night ive seen him trying to help with building up.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I get DDG isnt a strong /elite Sweeper K but are we overly critical of him? Name one GK who hasnt fecked a couple of chances in their past 12 months. Is there anyone ?

DDG is night in night out one of the best performing players we get and we seem as a fanbase to be stuck to his performance from 2-3 years ago?

his salary is getting adjusted to something more relevant soon, I still dont get all the hate and criticism. On the plus note that part of his game is also improving- even last night ive seen him trying to help with building up.
I actually think that the "sweeper keeper" part of his game has improved tenfold. I also think his distribution is definitely underrated. Where he still struggles is with crosses. He's just not a brave keeper. Even the best defenders will only win 70% of their aerial duals so that means on 10 crosses, the opponent is going to get 3 headers. So if the ball is crossed into the 6 yard box like Barca's first goal yesterday, De Gea should be coming out to punch. Teams continue to put crosses into our 6 knowing that it's a weakness.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

It's a simple case though. He's an average keeper overall, with some glaring weaknesses (coming for crosses and commanding the box) and no clear strengths since he's no longer amazing shotstopper.

This summer is the right time to let him go, we have established defensive line for next season (Varane and/or Casemiro might need a replacement in 2 years) and DDG (massive) contract is out.
I don't see a single reason why we should stick with him for longer.

Edit: actually I see a reason - if we are still run by the Glazers and the only alternative is to get Wout level goalkeeper for 2m, then yes it's better to have Dave for another season.

Oranges038

Best paid keeper in the world. Can't deal with crosses and is fairly poor at sweeping and passing out from the back. His shot stopping is fairly average now for a top level keeper too.

If anything people aren't critical enough of the aspects of his game which are severely lacking.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I’d say that below Weghorst, who would be your biggest priority, it’s Casemiro and Eriksen who are your biggest replacement issues. Seems crazy given they’ve only been at the club 4 or 5 months, but they are both 31 this month. After that De gea I’d say.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

The issue is things like the table below. When you judge his overall package, what he brings to the table and compare it with others, it does not stack up well. He used to top these sorts of charts, or be among the top. He is well in the mediocre realm now. His shot stopping isn't elite anymore. Aerial battles/crosses have always been a big weakness. Passing out from the back is at best average PL level. Sweeping is at best average. There are just many goalkeepers who are much better all round than De Gea these days.

Yes the pay is an issue but even aside from it, he is the worst goalkeeper at a big club around Europe. He shouldn't be starting for us whether it's for 100k pw or 350k pw.

Abraxas

DeGea is poor value for money at the moment that's for sure. For the level he operates and what we have to pay him it's not a good proposition.

But he is vastly experienced at the club and you can generally rely on him to do a decent job. The idea he's a liability or poor is definitely over the top. He's decent, it's just the game has moved on and he's still being compensated as if he's the best around.

Jeffthered

Well, how I see it is that he is doing fine for us. How many games has DDG cost us in recent years? And how many games was he almost carrying the whole team?

I have absolutely no problem with DDG. I don't expect Ederson or Allison.. but I don't think that's a priority beyond a No 9 (and I still feel we need one.. Rashford is a marauding player, which, for now, brings out the best in him..)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Rashford is our new striker.
He’s not the striker we need. He’s been scoring goals when moved upfront yes but can he do what natural ST can which is the hold up and link up play? We need a ST and then rashford will probably score even more than this season out on the left.

Remember the geese

I’d say that below Weghorst, who would be your biggest priority, it’s Casemiro and Eriksen who are your biggest replacement issues. Seems crazy given they’ve only been at the club 4 or 5 months, but they are both 31 this month. After that De gea I’d say.
Replacing Weghorst is a given, but replacing De Gea is a bigger priority than replacing Casemiro and Eriksen. Especially in Casemiro's case.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont mind keeping de gea as our no2 until his contract finishes

Valencia Shin Crosses

The issue is things like the table below. When you judge his overall package, what he brings to the table and compare it with others, it does not stack up well. He used to top these sorts of charts, or be among the top. He is well in the mediocre realm now. His shot stopping isn't elite anymore. Aerial battles/crosses have always been a big weakness. Passing out from the back is at best average PL level. Sweeping is at best average. There are just many goalkeepers who are much better all round than De Gea these days.

Yes the pay is an issue but even aside from it, he is the worst goalkeeper at a big club around Europe. He shouldn't be starting for us whether it's for 100k pw or 350k pw.
Exactly. Not even counted that he's the best paid keeper in the world, he's bang mediocre these days.

Only fools think he's not an issue that needs upgrading on

RopersReturn

We desperately need a sweeper keeper and someone who can cope with corners much better. Yes De Gea’s improved over the last 6 months, but I noticed how he still remains frozen on his line when long range shots are driven at us, like the shot that led to the Raffina goal last night.

Red Royal

He has been a very very good servant of the club but, after a starting XI CF and a CM he should be next in line to be upgraded.

SparkedIntoLife

More and more, I'm convinced DDG is staying as a first choice with a young goalkeeper developing as his backup next season. De Gea keeps affirming that he is fairly sure his contract talks will end in a positive way. However, he's on huge money and has a few obvious deficiencies which make him less than a snug fit for Ten Hag ball. ETH seems to like him and trust him, though, and it's fairly obvious he's a good guy who is committed to United.

If we do sign a new keeper, I'm guessing it'll be someone in the 20-23 age range. Someone not necessarily expecting first team football each week but who can make an impact in the PL and has very high potential. Lucas Chevalier of Lille looks tremendous in this regard and maybe won't kick up a huge fuss if he doesn't play every game.

JeffFromHK

Keeping DDG at low wages (~100k) and signing Raya at 15M to compete with him, guaranteeing Raya at least 10 league games and all domestic cup games, would be a nice move

Steve 007

In the last 20 years we’ve had 3 top keepers.
Schmeichel, Van Der Sar and De Gea.
People who want him replaced are nuts, he’s still one of the best out there and makes saves other keepers can only dream of.

Lux Thunder

In the last 20 years we’ve had 3 top keepers.
Schmeichel, Van Der Sar and De Gea.
People who want him replaced are nuts, he’s still one of the best out there and makes saves other keepers can only dream of.
No, we aren't nuts, we just simply can separate the football side of the story from having emotions for someone who has been a great servant for our club - which is something I'm completely ok with but it isn't objective enough.

Also, he's never been a top goalkeeper IMO, let alone these days. Top shot-stopper, I can agree, but overall he offers very little from other aspects of the game to call him a top goalkeeper. And now, when he starts to decline in his strongest ability and became average at shot-stopping it is more obvious than ever he should be replaced.

Moving forward from DDG is something I was suggesting a season ago but now it's almost a priority for the upcoming summer transfer window.

Steve 007

No, we aren't nuts, we just simply can separate the football side of the story from having emotions for someone who has been a great servant for our club - which is something I'm completely ok with but it isn't objective enough.

Also, he's never been a top goalkeeper IMO, let alone these days. Top shot-stopper, I can agree, but overall he offers very little from other aspects of the game to call him a top goalkeeper. And now, when he starts to decline in his strongest ability and became average at shot-stopping it is more obvious than ever he should be replaced.

Moving forward from DDG is something I was suggesting a season ago but now it's almost a priority for the upcoming summer transfer window.
We are going to have to disagree on this, DDG is one of the best shot stoppers in the world. Over the last 10 years he’s without a doubt one of our best and most consistent performers. He’s not a sweeper keeper. We are all obsessed with the sweeper keeper but It’s fad and only very few keepers do it. When Conte came into Chelsea his team was going to dominate forever after going 3 at the back. Then pep and Klopp have had success with sweeper keepers and we are all so obsessed that the best keeper we’ve had for a long while is no longer good enough.

Lux Thunder

We are going to have to disagree on this, DDG is one of the best shot stoppers in the world. Over the last 10 years he’s without a doubt one of our best and most consistent performers.
Although I can agree with you on this, that alone doesn't make him a top player given we were far from great in those 10 years.

He’s not a sweeper keeper. We are all obsessed with the sweeper keeper but It’s fad and only very few keepers do it. When Conte came into Chelsea his team was going to dominate forever after going 3 at the back. Then pep and Klopp have had success with sweeper keepers and we are all so obsessed that the best keeper we’ve had for a long while is no longer good enough.
I would never question the way of winning a match or say that you can't win a league with De Gea, but I don't see much point in debating Conte's style vs ETH's style. Also, sweeper keepers existed a long way before both Pep and Klopp came to England and sweeping/distribution aren't the only weakness that De Gea showed, he is simply not a well-rounded goalkeeper.

It's just a never-ending debate, you will find fans with different approaches to football such as managers. Some of them believe in a certain system and that system will highlight the individual quality ( ETH, Pep, Klopp, etc. ) and you have the opposite ones with more traditional thinking who will put individual brilliance above systems ( Ancelotti, Mourinho, Zidane, etc. ).

Some would probably be happy with De Gea as GK because he can make terrific saves or with Ronaldo ( last year ) because he can score goals, but there is a whole different and bigger picture with managers like ETH that I personally believe it's better given the nature of football game. Currently, we have a manager who believes in a certain way of playing under which no way De Gea could survive and justify his wages.

Steve 007

De Gea had a stinker a few months back against Everton, apart from that he’s been very good this season. I wonder how many points he’s saved us with his stunning saves.

Very few top keepers on paper have come in to Utd and set the world alight, most have failed. That can be said of most PL keepers, the sweeper or playing out from the back style keeper is great when it works, didn’t for Newcastle yesterday.
Just look at us trying to replace the Great Dane.
Barthez was the most highly rated flop I remember, not forgetting Howard, Carroll, Bosnich, Tiabi, the only success was Van Der Saar then finally De Gea.