De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

NoPace

Why does Erik ten Hag give him a massive new contract?

He hasn't as far as I know and De Gea is currently free to talk to rival clubs and is about 3 months away from being released. If he was so important then they wouldn't have allowed things to get to a stage where he can legally agree a pre-contract with another club.

There has been tier 1 reports about the club wanting to keep him on 'significantly' reduced wages. But there's also been talk about Tony Coton being deployed to find a goalkeeper who fits the profile that ten Hag wants.
My guess is it's both. We want De Gea to agree to much, much lower wages AND we're going to bring in a young #2 (Coton might be out looking for him).

If De Gea agrees to lower wages and say a 2+1 deal, then we'll keep him and sign that #2 (the MLS Serbian kid the name this week but who knows) to be groomed to take over in 12-36 months.

If De Gea says no, we sign David Raya, Samba, Bijlow, Bounouh, Pau Lopez or someone like that we can get for 20M or so if they push for the move.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

De Gea deal "advancing", along with a few others.

Oranges038

Who? Who makes these two saves, they are world class and he does it time after time year after year.
Ward dealt with one like Barnes from Weghorst differently by coming and closing the angle and making a close block. The save is class but it can be dealt with more easily with better positioning.

Same for the header, better positioning on the cross and he can claim it or the back post save becomes and easy collection.

So if your really being honest they are great saves, but better initial positioning allows him to deal with the situations more easily.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
My guess is it's both. We want De Gea to agree to much, much lower wages AND we're going to bring in a young #2 (Coton might be out looking for him).

If De Gea agrees to lower wages and say a 2+1 deal, then we'll keep him and sign that #2 (the MLS Serbian kid the name this week but who knows) to be groomed to take over in 12-36 months.

If De Gea says no, we sign David Raya, Samba, Bijlow, Bounouh, Pau Lopez or someone like that we can get for 20M or so if they push for the move.
I agree

Gaidal

I don't understand why so many people seem to think that just because we get a goalkeeper that is good with his feet and in commanding his area he will be bad at saving shots, there are plenty of goalkeepers that can do it all. And De Gea isnt an elite shot-stopper throughout an entire season these days, he does still have a very high ceiling when it comes to shot-stopping, but it is nowhere near consistent enough these days.

dinostar77

Looking like it will be a De Gea renewal plus a new young keeper. Meslier linked over weekend and now this lad.

lex talionis

Just equalled Schmeichel's clean sheet record. Yeah, he's pretty shit.
And he’s equaled Schmeichel’s clean sheet record with dire, makeshift back lines for most of his time at OT until this season.

Yep, De Gea is a shit keeper who just isn’t up to it at Old Trafford.

Bojan Djordjic

If you used that same dumb logic, you'd have Haaland as a shit striker, that City would do well to just bin and get somebody else in. There's been games where he's had a few touches in opposition boxes. He's certainly affected the City dynamic on the pitch but his goals tally is off the charts and that's what City bought him for. Are you saying they should get rid of him because of the deficiencies in his game?

At the end of the day, a goalie's basic job is shot-stopping. And you don't get much better than DDG.
You've just fabricated a scenario where Haaland is viewed as a bad striker because he takes few touches in the opposition box when that is just not a criticism he gets and is exactly what Pep demands from his number 9s. A more appropriate analogy would be Ronaldo being cast aside because his best attribute (goal scoring) has diminished to the level that it no longer compensates for his glaring weaknesses (inability not to be an insufferable w*nker, pressing and staying in the effin box).

Bojan Djordjic

And he’s equaled Schmeichel’s clean sheet record with dire, makeshift back lines for most of his time at OT until this season.

Yep, De Gea is a shit keeper who just isn’t up to it at Old Trafford.
Nobody has made the argument that he's been a shit shot stopper but notwithstanding that you do realise that De Gea has played over double the games that Schmeichel played for United.

Steve 007

Nobody has made the argument that he's been a shit shot stopper but notwithstanding that you do realise that De Gea has played over double the games that Schmeichel played for United.
He’s won the Man Utd player of the year 4 times. No player except Ronaldo has done this. Pretty amazing accolade just there.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You've just fabricated a scenario where Haaland is viewed as a bad striker because he takes few touches in the opposition box when that is just not a criticism he gets and is exactly what Pep demands from his number 9s. A more appropriate analogy would be Ronaldo being cast aside because his best attribute (goal scoring) has diminished to the level that it no longer compensates for his glaring weaknesses (inability not to be an insufferable w*nker, pressing and staying in the effin box).
De Gea is still one of, if not the best shot stopper in the league, so that analogy sucks. Did you watch the Courtois/Alisson masterclass yesterday? Kind of makes a mockery of all the tripe being spouted in this thread against De Gea.

AndOr Hererra

De Gea is still one of, if not the best shot stopper in the league, so that analogy sucks. Did you watch the Courtois/Alisson masterclass yesterday? Kind of makes a mockery of all the tripe being spouted in this thread against De Gea.
Say what you want about Allison and Courtois but De Gea has made that exact same mistake before and it cost us a goal then.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Say what you want about Allison and Courtois but De Gea has made that exact same mistake before and it cost us a goal then.
Allison and Courtois have been there and done it at the highest level. Allison in particular has been a big factor in Liverpool developing a high intensity play style which has led to league championship and Champions league wins. He also makes saves, makes mistakes, but his all-round skillset has been a big factor in Klopp developing both a on the ball game and off the ball game in a league which demands high intensity at a very high level.

De Gea is a keeper who thrives off chaos and the first half against Leicester was no different where the two saves he made came about due to basic errors from a combination of Lindelof and Fred for the first and the second due to Garnacho's off the ball naivety, which is normal due to him being a kid. And on top of all that, De Gea constantly adds to the chaos by giving the ball away cheaply and staying rooted to his line.

De Gea did win player of the year awards, but imo those awards reflected the chaos that was ensuing in-front of him and he was papering over the cracks. A new keeper with a strong command of his box, along with being good on the ball will go a long way towards exerting more control and less chaos.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Allison and Courtois have been there and done it at the highest level. Allison in particular has been a big factor in Liverpool developing a high intensity play style which has led to league championship and Champions league wins. He also makes saves, makes mistakes, but his all-round skillset has been a big factor in Klopp developing both a on the ball game and off the ball game in a league which demands high intensity at a very high level.

De Gea is a keeper who thrives off chaos and the first half against Leicester was no different where the two saves he made came about due to basic errors from a combination of Lindelof and Fred for the first and the second due to Garnacho's off the ball naivety, which is normal due to him being a kid. And on top of all that, De Gea constantly adds to the chaos by giving the ball away cheaply and staying rooted to his line.

De Gea did win player of the year awards, but imo those awards reflected the chaos that was ensuing in-front of him and he was papering over the cracks. A new keeper with a strong command of his box, along with being good on the ball will go a long way towards exerting more control and less chaos.
You really must be hurting right now.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It must be frustrating for you in your struggles to counter my criticisms towards your favourite player.
I'm not struggling at all. Your criticisms are lame (not worth countering), De Gea is playing every week and we are on fire right now. I don't know about you but I'm gassed right now.

Try it....you might like it.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Can't see him getting that anywhere else at this stage of his career. However it's a lot of money for what should be his role as No.2 as of next season.
He will still be no.1 next season

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not struggling at all. Your criticisms are lame (not worth countering), De Gea is playing every week and we are on fire right now. I don't know about you but I'm gassed right now.

Try it....you might like it.
I'm not sure about being on fire but the playstyle in question is developing due to the outfield players and who the head coach is imo.

I'm glad you're gassed, just imagine how gassed you will be when we sign a keeper that will aid the build up and be more proactive, which will hopefully correlate to the success Liverpool have had with Allison in the Champions league and domestically.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm not sure about being on fire but the playstyle in question is developing due to the outfield players and who the head coach is imo.

I'm glad you're gassed, just imagine how gassed you will be when we sign a keeper that will aid the build up and be more proactive, which will hopefully correlate to the success Liverpool have had with Allison in the Champions league and domestically.
Right now I'd keep quiet about Allison!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Right now I'd keep quiet about Allison!
He made a mistake and keepers make mistakes. But De Gea hasn't come close to the level Allison has reached where he's contributed to the development of a play style with and without the ball that has resulted in Liverpool winning the biggest honours in the game.

romufc

He made a mistake and keepers make mistakes. But De Gea hasn't come close to the level Allison has reached where he's contributed to the development of a play style with and without the ball that has resulted in winning the biggest honours in the game.
Yep you are right, the PL was only a big honour from 2017 onwards.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep you are right, the PL was only a big honour from 2017 onwards.
The PL is very different to the one 10 years ago due to the volume of very good coaching and the number of teams who defend from the front which makes the build up play difficult.

So it's sensible to adapt to a changing landscape and not stand still.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
He made a mistake and keepers make mistakes. But De Gea hasn't come close to the level Allison has reached where he's contributed to the development of a play style with and without the ball that has resulted in winning the biggest honours in the game.
De Gea is a goalkeeper, his job is to keep the ball out of the net and he's pretty good at that, anything else is a bonus

Put Allison in our team and would he make us any better?

Not enough to justify the millions he or someone similar would cost, De Gea will be replaced at some point but it's not a priority position to fill, that position is a CF and then a CM

Borys

Statistics Wizard
De Gea is a goalkeeper, his job is to keep the ball out of the net and he's pretty good at that, anything else is a bonus

Put Allison in our team and would he make us any better?

Not enough to justify the millions he or someone similar would cost, De Gea will be replaced at some point but it's not a priority position to fill, that position is a CF and then a CM
Yes, no doubt about it.

We can argue if it's higher priority than CM assuming we have very limited funds. But this summer is the perfect time to replace a goalkeeper considering the state of our defensive line.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

You're really not going to give De Gea ANY credit are you? Dear Lord!

Hostekule

De Gea is a goalkeeper, his job is to keep the ball out of the net
This is an outdated view. Play starts from the back, and keepers will be involved a lot in build up. Just like very few strikers can get away with just scoring goals, they have to defend too.

NLunited

He gave the ball away every single time he kicked it long in the first half. In the second half Martinez dropped right next to him in the build up phase.

Erik ten Hag did say he was building for the long-term, but the first phase of the build up should be a priority for a coach who wants to exert zonal and positional control. I'd be very surprised if a new keeper doesn't arrive.
What game did you watch? Patently untrue.

Pickle85

:lol: genuinely think at this point there's nothing he can do to make you give him any credit. You're so dug in, it's ridiculous.

Remember the geese

:lol: genuinely think at this point there's nothing he can do to make you give him any credit. You're so dug in, it's ridiculous.
He could rush off his line more often, be a more dominant and commanding presence when dealing with crosses and improve his ability in possession whilst making himself more available to receive the ball.

FerociousCorgis

feel like the same people who bash ddg for going long would bash him if he tried to force a short pass that wasnt there and it resulted in a goal. Sometimes you just gotta go long. Honestly feel like theres been an improvement in his short passing, and feel like if people are getting open to give him the passes he can continue to help us recycle possession at the back. Dont really see him going long anymore when short passing options are there.

Pickle85

He could rush off his line more often, be a more dominant and commanding presence when dealing with crosses and improve his ability in possession whilst making himself more available to receive the ball.
Not sure I was talking to you, but I guess the same applies. You're too invested in your narrative to give him credit. I'm not saying he doesn't have faults in his game, it's just amazing how many miserable sods seem to delight in coming to his thread after he's been good solely to shit on him.

Remember the geese

You're too invested in your narrative
It isn't a narrative. It's been staring me in the face for years unfortunately. Honestly, I take no pleasure in shitting on him. I'd take a lot more pleasure in him doing the things I've called him out on. Unfortunately, some of it comes down to a lack of personality and bravery as much as technique. He is who he is.

AndOr Hererra

Couldnt have said it better myself