De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If you genuinely cant see the differences brought to the team by DDG and Alisson then im afraid you’re too far gone
Thanks for your concern. All I can see is United still in 4 comps, a good chance of the first trophy of the season, pretty much nailed on for top 4 and turning OT into a fortress, whilst Liverpool sit in 8th, just got spanked at home by Madrid (we face the league leaders tomorrow) and season aready looking over.

if you can't see the difference in that mate, there's no hope for you.

FerociousCorgis

i get the frustration with people wanting DDG to come out to collect crosses more, but honestly im fine with him not rushing out as much on other situations. Swear i see it so much where a goalkeeper comes rushing out and a forward scores from some ridiculously tight angle with a defender right behind him that would have absolutely no chance of being a goal if the gk just stayed where he belongs. Like the ederson foul for the penalty, he was pretty much at edge of box at touchline where there was no danger.

lysglimt

Scout
It is kind of shocking that people want DDG gone after the season he is having. Any other goalkeeper against Leicester and we would at least be 0-1 down - maybe even 0-2 down. One thing is that I can't imagine a single goalkeeper in the league who would have saved both Barnes' shot and Iheanachos header. And more importantly, the saves he made were so insane that they practically destroyed Leicesters hope of getting anything from the game. You could see it in the interviews with the Leicesters players after the game - they stopped believing this was going to be their day.

His distribution has improved a lot, and yes I would prefer him to be more dominant at crosses, but at the same time - I can't think of many goals that would have been avoided if DDG had been better at crosses. So the few goals a more dominant goalkeeper would have prevented from crosses, he more than makes up for by making 5-6-7 saves during a season - which no other goalkeeper would have saved.

JB7

You think he is worthy of £250k a week?
Yeah these people genuinely think he's the best goalkeeper in the history of goalkeeping. It is completely insane. You'd think he was the only goalkeeper in the league to make saves ffs, give me strength.

Dorris

He’s a likeable guy and a club legend, but he’ll be gone in the summer or demoted to number 2. He just isn’t good enough for modern football.

AndOr Hererra

Thanks for your concern. All I can see is United still in 4 comps, a good chance of the first trophy of the season, pretty much nailed on for top 4 and turning OT into a fortress, whilst Liverpool sit in 8th, just got spanked at home by Madrid (we face the league leaders tomorrow) and season aready looking over.

if you can't see the difference in that mate, there's no hope for you.
Are you implying the reason for our differing seasons are because of the goalkeepers we have?

Remember the geese

Yeah these people genuinely think he's the best goalkeeper in the history of goalkeeping. It is completely insane. You'd think he was the only goalkeeper in the league to make saves ffs, give me strength.
Honestly, it's like living in a world of goldfish at times. The mind boggles.

lysglimt

Scout
You think he is worthy of £250k a week?
That depends how you look at it - does he deserve to have wages that are a lot higher than Ederson and Allisson ? No. But the fact is - we do pay better than City and Liverpool.
Does DDG deserve to be among the best paid players at the club ? Of course. And if we give him what you recommend he would give or take, be at the same level as Fred, AWB and Lindelof - which would be rather stupid.

So with the wages we have at this club - of course he is worth £250.000. That is reportedly less than Casemiro, Varane, Sancho - and about the same level as Bruno and Antony.

But of course - if you offer any player a wage reduction from £350.000 to £125.000 - he will leave the club. Because let's face it, that is an insult. So if your goal was to chase arguably the 3rd or 4th best goalkeeper in the history of Man United away from the club on a free transfer, offering him £125.000 a week would probably be a brilliant solution.

lysglimt

Scout
So in your opinion, how many goalkeepers in the P.L would have saved both Barnes and Iheanacho's efforts against Leicester ? My guess is none - on a good day Allisson maybe. No other keeper would even come close. He is not the only goalkeeper in the league to make saves, but he is the one making the best saves.

Borussia Teeth

feel like the same people who bash ddg for going long would bash him if he tried to force a short pass that wasnt there and it resulted in a goal. Sometimes you just gotta go long. Honestly feel like theres been an improvement in his short passing, and feel like if people are getting open to give him the passes he can continue to help us recycle possession at the back. Dont really see him going long anymore when short passing options are there.
I agree with this. I've watched the likes of Ederson and Allison hoof it under pressure plenty of times. Certain posters on here seem to think they pick their man with a difficult pass every time and catch every cross that goes in their box.

I also agree about his short passing seems to have improved (or returned to LvG period level). Ddg can be improved on but we have much larger priorities in the summer.

It’s really something else.

Remember the geese

But of course - if you offer any player a wage reduction from £350.000 to £125.000 - he will leave the club. Because let's face it, that is an insult. So if your goal was to chase arguably the 3rd or 4th best goalkeeper in the history of Man United away from the club on a free transfer, offering him £125.000 a week would probably be a brilliant solution.
This is essentially what it comes down to. He should be offered something within the region of £125k a week or be allowed to leave the club. That is still a very healthy wage and not significantly less than what Allison earns. It would be considered a huge wage for a second choice keeper.

CM

That depends how you look at it - does he deserve to have wages that are a lot higher than Ederson and Allisson ? No. But the fact is - we do pay better than City and Liverpool.
Does DDG deserve to be among the best paid players at the club ? Of course. And if we give him what you recommend he would give or take, be at the same level as Fred, AWB and Lindelof - which would be rather stupid.

So with the wages we have at this club - of course he is worth £250.000. That is reportedly less than Casemiro, Varane, Sancho - and about the same level as Bruno and Antony.

It's not an insult when no other club on the planet would offer him £250k a week. Your value as a player is what someone is prepared to pay for you.

De Gea isn't important enough to us that we need to offer him stupid wages. If he chooses to walk away from negotiations on that basis then that's all the incentive we need to go out and sign a new goalkeeper. We're delaying the inevitable anyway.

RVN1991

I would replace him in the summer but some of the stick he gets for someone that seems like a genuinely good bloke and seems to genuinely love the club,who's been extremely loyal to us (granted while getting handsomely rewarded in the process) and who put on some of the best GK performances I've seen at this club is just uncalled for. A massive bellend like Ronaldo was literally worshiped in here for more than a decade yet a real club legend like DDG gets slaughtered for not being Allison on the ball? Absolutely embarrassing.

Oranges038

If you genuinely cant see the differences brought to the team by DDG and Alisson then im afraid you’re too far gone
There's no point.

He makes saves other keepers don't and that's enough for a lot of people. It's the same as having a striker who scores the odd wonder goal and ignoring everything he doesn't contribute to. People could see it with Ronaldo, but aren't willing to look at the collective contribution from the other end of the pitch.

CM

There's no point.

He makes saves other keepers don't and that's enough for a lot of people. It's the same as having a striker who scores the odd wonder goal and ignoring everything he doesn't contribute to. People could see it with Ronaldo, but aren't willing to look at the collective contribution from the other end of the pitch.
Some weren't able to see it with Ronaldo until the goals stopped coming and his lack of contribution completely slapped them in the face. That combined with him becoming an absolute thorn in the backside of our manager.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Are you implying the reason for our differing seasons are because of the goalkeepers we have?
What are you implying? If the goalkeepers don't make a difference, why are getting your knickers in a twist over De Gea? Make your mind up.

JB7

So in your opinion, how many goalkeepers in the P.L would have saved both Barnes and Iheanacho's efforts against Leicester ? My guess is none - on a good day Allisson maybe. No other keeper would even come close. He is not the only goalkeeper in the league to make saves, but he is the one making the best saves.
He's actually nowhere near the best at making either of those types of saves, and I'm not suggesting either of them weren't outstanding because they were both excellent stops.

He simply wouldn't have made the first save last season as he wouldn't have stepped up towards Barnes, it is great progress in my eyes and I was really pleased with it because we conceded so many goals in those situations last situations because he stayed too deep and allowed the attacker a relatively simple finish, instead he rushed Barnes in taking the shot early. Realistically it is stopped much easier by a goalkeeper who doesn't drop as deep as he initially did while Iheanacho was laying the ball off and it becomes a less spectacular block type save rather than the outstretched arm which made it so eye-catching; it's the type of stop the aggressive goalkeepers who make themselves wide in those situations are good at like Alisson, Ederson, Pope, Kepa, Sa, Raya, Ramsdale to give a few examples. Do all of them stop that shot every time, of course not, but De Gea doesn't stop it every time either.

The second one is made more difficult because he's past his front post which he shouldn't be, most goalkeepers in the league simply aren't that far over and if they are they are quicker across their line and make it as a simpler save. Look David Raya for example, I use him because he has a tendency to go past his front post too which I don't like, but it's the type of stop he makes regularly but because he's quicker across his line than De Gea it's less spectacular. There was a not dissimilar one in the game against us this season that he caught with no fuss whatsoever. Similar to the goalkeepers mentioned for the previous type of save, the aggressive goalkeepers tend to be quicker goalkeepers and I'd back most of them to make that stop more often than not, and again, how many back post headers has De Gea let in in previous games/seasons, so let's not pretend saving one means he saves them all.

That's taking nothing away from the stops, fully worthy of credit, but lets not pretend no other goalkeepers are making the stops. It's just ridiculous.

Reactions: lysglimt

lysglimt

Scout
He's actually nowhere near the best at making either of those types of saves, and I'm not suggesting either of them weren't outstanding because they were both excellent stops.

He simply wouldn't have made the first save last season as he wouldn't have stepped up towards Barnes, it is great progress in my eyes and I was really pleased with it because we conceded so many goals in those situations last situations because he stayed too deep and allowed the attacker a relatively simple finish, instead he rushed Barnes in taking the shot early. Realistically it is stopped much easier by a goalkeeper who doesn't drop as deep as he initially did while Iheanacho was laying the ball off and it becomes a less spectacular block type save rather than the outstretched arm which made it so eye-catching; it's the type of stop the aggressive goalkeepers who make themselves wide in those situations are good at like Alisson, Ederson, Pope, Kepa, Sa, Raya, Ramsdale to give a few examples. Do all of them stop that shot every time, of course not, but De Gea doesn't stop it every time either.

The second one is made more difficult because he's past his front post which he shouldn't be, most goalkeepers in the league simply aren't that far over and if they are they are quicker across their line and make it as a simpler save. Look David Raya for example, I use him because he has a tendency to go past his front post too which I don't like, but it's the type of stop he makes regularly but because he's quicker across his line than De Gea it's less spectacular. There was a not dissimilar one in the game against us this season that he caught with no fuss whatsoever. Similar to the goalkeepers mentioned for the previous type of save, the aggressive goalkeepers tend to be quicker goalkeepers and I'd back most of them to make that stop more often than not, and again, how many back post headers has De Gea let in in previous games/seasons, so let's not pretend saving one means he saves them all.

That's taking nothing away from the stops, fully worthy of credit, but lets not pretend no other goalkeepers are making the stops. It's just ridiculous.
Well - you deserve credit for a well-written and logical post. But here I think we must agree to disagree. :)

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The thread title is : De Gea Replacement - Our next biggest priority

How many De Gea and anti-De Gea fans actually think it is our next biggest priority?

lysglimt

Scout
This is essentially what it comes down to. He should be offered something within the region of £125k a week or be allowed to leave the club. That is still a very healthy wage and not significantly less than what Allison earns. It would be considered a huge wage for a second choice keeper.
Ok - so we should spend £50 million to sign a keeper who may or not be as good as DDG ? Because that is what it comes down to - you need a goalkeeper who is better than DDG, not just marginally better but a lot better. Because a marginally better goalkeeper is an uncertainty, there are no guarantees that particular goalkeeper can manage the pressure of playing at Old Trafford. DDG can. And how many goalkeepers are clearly better than DDG and available ? Maybe Jan Oblak - maybe, as I dont know if he is available. And no £125.000 is not a very healthy wage if you are playing for Man United and playing regularly.

But the entire logic is flawed - because there is no way United will offer DDG a contract to make him 2nd choice. If United offer him a contract, then they do it because Ten Hag sees him as first choice. DDG has carried United for many of the 10 seasons he has been at the club, and I am not saying we should run a charity if we don't feel he isn't good enough. But to offer a player 1/3 of his current wages like you suggest, that is basically spitting on him after what he has done for the club, and what he is STILL doing. If Erik Ten Hag does not want DDG, they should simply not offer him a contract, and thank him for his effort. Not offer the kind of contract you suggest.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ok - so we should spend £50 million to sign a keeper who may or not be as good as DDG ? Because that is what it comes down to - you need a goalkeeper who is better than DDG, not just marginally better but a lot better. Because a marginally better goalkeeper is an uncertainty, there are no guarantees that particular goalkeeper can manage the pressure of playing at Old Trafford. DDG can. And how many goalkeepers are clearly better than DDG and available ? Maybe Jan Oblak - maybe, as I dont know if he is available. And no £125.000 is not a very healthy wage if you are playing for Man United and playing regularly.

But the entire logic is flawed - because there is no way United will offer DDG a contract to make him 2nd choice. If United offer him a contract, then they do it because Ten Hag sees him as first choice. DDG has carried United for many of the 10 seasons he has been at the club, and I am not saying we should run a charity if we don't feel he isn't good enough. But to offer a player 1/3 of his current wages like you suggest, that is basically spitting on him after what he has done for the club, and what he is STILL doing. If Erik Ten Hag does not want DDG, they should simply not offer him a contract, and thank him for his effort. Not offer the kind of contract you suggest.
Oh behave! You're talking too much sense!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think it is top 5.

CF
CM
RB
GK
Back up CM
Back up CB
The last 1 depends on whether our current back-ups go and back up CM is higher than GK because this season has shown that 1 injury and 1 suspension we're struggling

Borys

Statistics Wizard

How many De Gea and anti-De Gea fans actually think it is our next biggest priority?
CF
CM (Casemiro backup)
GK
CM

That is true, but we can't continue with De Gea indefinitely either. This is the right moment to replace him. IF there is no candidate (I highly doubt that) OR we only have Wout-money, then I'm OK with De Gea. There are, after all, higher priorities. But we can't live in fear of life after De Gea. He's not an elite GK after all, we'll be fine.

Last edited:

Pickle85

Honestly, it's like living in a world of goldfish at times. The mind boggles.
There's no point.

You should all set up an anti-DDG support group and just agree with each other there.

quadrant

Not the biggest issue, CF is number one issue by a mile. But apart from that I'd say it's the only other first team spot to focus on.

We need backup at CF, and backup for both Eriksen and Casemiro. I've given up on Martial and assume Weghurst will leave. Sabitzer could be the Eriksen backup though. Im not certain right back is totally settled either. So there's a few spots to worry about.

But in terms of first team, CF and GK are where I'd spend the budget.

dinostar77

You should all set up an anti-DDG support group and just agree with each other there.
:lol:

Looking forward to what the anti-DDG support group say when he signs a new deal and we bring in a young no2 as understudy.

Remember the geese

I think Oblak would be a pretty poor choice by all accounts. I haven't seen much of Atletico recently, but I have heard that he isn't performing very well and doesn't suit the stylistic profile that we need. However, I'm sure there are less heralded keepers out there who would be a better match than both Oblak and De Gea. Most likely available for less than £50m too. The £125k weekly wage would be a reflection of De Gea's new status. Either as a fully fledged number two goalkeeper or by sharing the number one role initially and providing an experienced hand in helping a younger keeper make the transition to number one.

It's United's gift to offer De Gea whatever salary they want - and it's his gift to either accept it or reject it. If he feels that he can get a better deal elsewhere, then fair play to him.

AdNani

He's still capable of pulling off saves that blow your mind. But we've now moved on to a style of play which highlights all of his deficiencies.

ive a feeling we'll sign Raya and gradually ease De Gea out.

Top 3 of GK to ever play for us and what a servant he's been but need to be Ruthless.