De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

FerociousCorgis

still think the number 9 spot is a much bigger hole. Considering rash seems to be better LW we really have nobody there we can currently count on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Absolutely, I agree.

I don't get to watch much football apart from Utd these days. Occasionally when I do though and see most random keepers these days e.g.the GK for Dortmund yesterday who I've never heard, look so comfortable playing passes into midfield and to full backs, whilst oozing confidence on the ball, I'm wondering what sorcery is this.

From your earlier post I understand the guy is not even their first choice and the first choice has been very good.

I think we've made great improvements under Erik in terms of back retention and controlling games that adding a better all round, sweeper keeper would take our play up so many levels.
The Dortmund #1 Gregor Kobel didn't start yesterday due to injury.

I think a keeper with a well rounded game that has good distribution, sweeping and shot prevention via cross claiming, would take us up a level. The likes of Gregor Kobel and Diogo Costa are just two, of a number of options I feel should be considered. The vid below analysing Diogo Costa is a good example of the things which we need from a keeper.

Davie Moyes

The Dortmund #1 Gregor Kobel didn't start yesterday due to injury.

I think a keeper with a well rounded game that has good distribution, sweeping and shot prevention via cross claiming, would take us up a level. The likes of Gregor Kobel and Diogo Costa are just two, of a number of options I feel should be considered. The vid below analysing Diogo Costa is a good example of the things which we need from a keeper.

Thanks for sharing the video as I've not watched Costa much and it is reassuring. I knew he was highly rated yet was criticised for his world cup appearances as pointed out in the video. Good to to know he's been much better in the league and CL.

Five penalty saves this season alone is fantastic. I also assumed he may not be great on crosses based on his mistake on the Morocco world cup goal, however according to the video it's one of his strengths. I don't mind keepers making occasional mistakes e.g. on crosses when they are always proactive. I agree with the guy in the video pointing out Allison may have mistakes in him but he contributes so much to his team (including offensively) that he is the best in the world.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thanks for sharing the video as I've not watched Costa much and it is reassuring. I knew he was highly rated yet was criticised for his world cup appearances as pointed out in the video. Good to to know he's been much better in the league and CL.

Five penalty saves this season alone is fantastic. I also assumed he may not be great on crosses based on his mistake on the Morocco world cup goal, however according to the video it's one of his strengths. I don't mind keepers making occasional mistakes e.g. on crosses when they are always proactive. I agree with the guy in the video pointing out Allison may have mistakes in him but he contributes so much to his team (including offensively) that he is the best in the world.
A keeper who is good at preventing shots via cross claiming and sweeping will likely save a good number of goals without making a save. And if that keeper also has the ability to contribute in the build up phase, then it will help the team build play through the thirds and pin the opponent in their own half.

Mistakes will be made, but like what the chap says in the vid, the positive contributions will out weigh the mistakes over the course of a season. And it's why Allison's contributions towards a attacking playstyle has resulted in a league and champions league win.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maignan is the best one for me. I suspect if we make a move it may well be Raya though.

croadyman

Maignan is the best one for me. I suspect if we make a move it may well be Raya though.
Was hoping Spurs would test him out a bit tonight but had pretty much nothing to do. Hopefully they get Chelsea or City in QF then can see how he properly fares against English teams

Lyng

@Adnan has already mentioned Costa who seems to have bounced back well after a bad World Cup. Kobel is a great shout as well.
And there are a couple of very young massive talents out there like Vandewoort and Hermansen.
Both of which are already much more commanding of their box and have better distribution than Dave.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is fecking horrendous. Would be idiotic from all involved if we extend him. He can stay if he's backup. If he is starting games next season then that's a problem. fecking bottom half of the league goalkeeper these days, if that.

Zoo

It’s infuriating. Always on the back foot

Remember the geese

Simply awful. When you combine shocking distribution with average shot stopping, minimal desire to sweep, no command of his penalty area and a general lack of bravery and authority, then this is what you get. World Class though according to some.

Dorris

At this point it’s genuinely laughable that anyone still sees him as number 1 next season.

Woodzy

Amazing shot stopper but so sloppy at times, and probably one of our mentally weakest players. I think a replacement is for the best.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It will be a big step backwards if we extend his contract.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Love how a De Gea thread gets bumped the moment he makes a poor pass

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
At times he's been magnificent this season, but he doesn't offer what a team playing progressive football requires. That's not going to change. His distribution is terrible. If he's fighting it out with another potential #1 fair enough, but we definitely need a keeper capable of playing out from the back and who commands his area.

JG3001

He’s the new Rooney, half the fan base are still reminiscing about his glory days and blind to his overwhelming liability, which has been obvious for 3 seasons now.

He will no doubt pull off a couple world class saves in the near future and all will be forgiven again.

Needs putting out to pasture end of this season.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
His distribution has been woeful tonight, but I've seen Ederson and Allison make mistakes like that leading to goals. It's just with David it's never one, its the whole game.

Bojan Djordjic

He's so shit and he has been shit for the last 4 years. I can't reconcile fans goodwill towards him at this point.
I don't mind goodwill towards him. He's been an amazing club servant so will always deserve that but he's clearly not good enough anymore. Playing from the back is clearly a non-negotiable for Ten Hag so persevering with a keeper that can't do that is folly. Also, people talking about him as some mentality monster earlier in the thread and it's patently untrue. Always wilts visibly after a mistake and then he's capable of making another ten in the same game.

RedDevilRoshi

Just like the midfield and attack, this position needs to be massively addressed in the summer. Can’t go in with DDG as our number one next season. But knowing us, we will most likely give Dave a new contract and still have him as our 1st choice GK.

georgipep

Are you serious? Take off the De Gea fangoggles. He is the weakest link in this squad by a mile.

Cannot pass to save his life. Cannot stop a cross. Cannot sweep behind a high line. And his shot stopping has been below average for a while.

The only reason he isn't our 3rd keeper is his £375k/w contract. And perhaps another layer of politics within the club.

Art

Art the artist
Giving him a new contract will be up there with giving Maguire the captaincy in terms of disastrous decisions by our club. He is an absolute trainwreck of a goalkeeper.

Swedish_Plumber

Think he will be replaced as number 1. Makes far too many mistakes with his feet. Started to really notice his reluctance to come out and claim pretty easy high balls too and the effect it has.

Morpheus 7

Not the fact he let in 7 at the weekend, nearly gifted a goal from nothing tonight so far. Deserves criticism, needed to put a commanding display from the back. He hasn't done it so far.