De Gea vs Van Der Sar vs Schmeichel

Vote

• Total voters

Sauldogba

It should be de gea 100 percent but its so weird. I mean if you look at what hes won (not much) if you look at his flaws.And he has some major ones. Bad at freekicks,average at penalties,not coming out for crosses or corners hes behind the others for me.

For me the best is VDS. Hardly ever saw him make any mistakes. Something I cant say for the other two and he was more consistent than both. Very rarely got beaten by absolute worldies.Doesnt help that i only started supporting us two years before Peter Schmeichel retired but from what i saw he had a mistake in him.

1)VDS
2)Schmeichel
3)David De Gea

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Your profile states your age as being 24, you weren't even born when we signed Schmeichel or when Edwin won the European Cup with Ajax in 95.
Fair enough.
But I have seen the entirety of Van Der Sar's tenure here at Man Utd. Right from his signing from Fulham to his last game. Fabulous keeper but not on De Gea's level . I have literally seen De Gea drag us out of games we had no business in.
My preference of De Gea over Schmeichel is simply a stylistic preference. I'll concede that. Well done on looking up my profile, do you want my insta too?

Cladistics_Fan

The lack of patience, respect or loyalty being shown towards De Gea from some posters actually has me baffled. I mean fair criticism is perfectly fine (and warranted in this case given he has had a relatively poor season) and even unfair criticism is inevitable when poor form lasts for long enough but Christ it didn't take long for the revisionism to start in this case.

Just in the last few days I've seen people calling him a coward, calling him gutless, saying he's shit, saying he was never world class, saying he should be sold, saying that comparisons with VDS and Schmeichel insult them, saying he should be left to rot in the reserves, saying he needs to be upgraded, saying he isn't good enough for a top side, comparing him to the likes of Heaton and Foster, etc. It's madness.
Just to emphasise my point about Foster, I was only trying to justify the importance of Dave DeGea in our goal today. If we had Foster, Heaton or why not Barthez, we would have finished mid-table at best. I am in agreement with you with respect to what is happening this season however, so many people are judging him for a couple of bad performances, whereas other players get to be left alone without criticism. I, for one would prefer if DeGea stays and gets an improved contract simply because he has earned it.

Just to an hypothetical situation, we would have said the same thing about Peter Schmeichel or VDS if they had Rashford, Martial or Lukaku in front of them. Big Pete and VDS had players like Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer, Sheringham, Cantona, Beckham, Giggs, Rooney and Ruud. DeGea had Rooney in front of goal coming towards the end of his career, Zlatan for a couple of seasons, Lukaku and Rashford or even Martial. The point being, is that we would never know how they would have performed if the roles had been reversed. Either way, I will not vote but I will give an opinion that DeGea is currently the best player we have and he wll improve with each passing season.

Van der Sar > Schmeichel >>> De Gea.

VDS - just so calm, organised his defence so well, brilliant positioning, commanded his area, good shot stopper.
Schmeichel - organised his defence, commanded his are, great at 1 on 1s, made himself big when shot stopping, organised his defence.
DDG - probably the best pure shot stopper ever. Can't really do anything else, though.

DDG has nowhere near the all-rounded game of VDS or Schmeichel and therefore can never be as good as them.

You can really tell the age demographic of this forum from the replies in here or the favourite player thread. It's a real shame that most of you never saw the great players of the past, you would quickly realise just how poor the last few years really have been. None of this current squad would have made the teams from 10 or 20 years ago.
I won't comment on your choices since those are individual preferences however, for the bolded part, you are making a massive assumption. I have followed Manchester United just before the days when Ron bought Bryan. I, for one have lived through much worser time than today and living through that period toughened you up and prepared a fan should our team never win a trophy. Once Sir Alex finally retired after what was a majestic career in our clubs history, we all knew it could never be the same, so, we are almost back to where we were before we were managed by him.

You cannot make assumptions just because fans have a particular fondness over one player that doesn't fit your narrative. If they don't like a player, perhaps it has something to what this player brings to the team. I am over 40 years of age and seen many keepers coming through, and even though Schmeichel was a monster; DeGea, if he stays, will make sure that he is a legend in his own right.

Acole9

Outstanding
Schmeichel every time. To suggest De Gea is better than him is laughable.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair enough.
But I have seen the entirety of Van Der Sar's tenure here at Man Utd. Right from his signing from Fulham to his last game. Fabulous keeper but not on De Gea's level . I have literally seen De Gea drag us out of games we had no business in.
My preference of De Gea over Schmeichel is simply a stylistic preference. I'll concede that. Well done on looking up my profile, do you want my insta too?
Don't need your insta, your tag line is more than sufficient..

Paul_Scholes18

Van der Sar for me. So calm and always helping his defenders a lot. Very good at reading the game and also distribute the play. Big reason why we could dominate the league and do so well in europe with him.

With De Gea we have been pretty terrible in europe and quite bad overall. He has often done great to make big saves when we have been under pressure and some games against Arsenal and Liverpool have been amazing. Although he hasn't really helped remove the pressure sometimes when needed. He doesn't help his defenders enough.

I have not watched Schmeichel enough to fully judge him.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Would anyone actually put De Gea ahead of Schmeichel in his 11 if he had the chance? Not a chance if it came down to it in the actual moment, the presence of big Pete, his control of his area, his deliveries, were all far better than De Gea’s.

Irwin99

Schmiechel did make some big errors too in his time and his form in the early part of 98/99 was probably as bad as any of De Gea's lowest points. Having seen all 3 goalkeepers I honestly feel there's not much in it. You could probably argue that VDS was the most consistent of the three but the least likely of producing god-like saves.

RedNorseman

I grew up with Peter the great and he will always be my #1 goalkeeper. Big Dave is obviously one of the greatest of this generation, but Schmeichel will always be one of the clubs top legends.

So my ranking will be:

1. The Great Dane
2. Dave
3. VDS

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
How many games of VDS or Schmeichel did you watch?

Kids today, I don't know :lol:

I followed Van Der Sar's entire career at United. I am 24 man, not 14. I just prefer De Gea over the great Dane for aesthetic reasons. So I'll happily concede that. But there is no way that Van Der Sar was better for us than De Gea.
Van Der Sar wasn't even the clear best keeper in the League. It was always a tussle between him and Cech. De Gea at points was the best keeper on planet Earth and not just the Premier League. His trophy cabinet would be much more impressive if he hadn't played with average dross that we have had for the most part of his career here. And frankly his probable exit should not change perspectives on a fantastic service that we got.

Why all the jabs at my age though? Should this thread be limited to people 40 and above for a good conversation? :lol:

Edit: Holy hell, look at the posts on the first few pages of the thread . So, I am guessing they were "kids" too?

The Nani

I followed Van Der Sar's entire career at United. I am 24 man, not 14. I just prefer De Gea over the great Dane for aesthetic reasons. So I'll happily concede that. But there is no way that Van Der Sar was better for us than De Gea.
Van Der Sar wasn't even the clear best keeper in the League. It was always a tussle between him and Cech. De Gea at points was the best keeper on planet Earth and not just the Premier League. His trophy cabinet would be much more impressive if he hadn't played with average dross that we have had for the most part of his career here. And frankly his probable exit should not change perspectives on a fantastic service that we got.

Why all the jabs at my age though? Should this thread be limited to people 40 and above for a good conversation? :lol:

Edit: Holy hell, look at the posts on the first few pages of the thread . So, I am guessing they were "kids" too?
So you were 9 or 10 years old when we signed VDS. So maybe you watched him a bit, but how can you possibly have an opinion on Schmeichel? I mean, other than Dave is more handsome and has a better beard and always keeps a steely look on his face and whatnot.

All joking aside though, there's no way you actually watched VDS over the years with the dismissive attitude you have toward him. Saying he was never even the best keeper in the league is rich as well considering you compared him to a keeper any level headed fan would rate ahead of DDG. VDS was so good over his last few seasons with us that fans were distraught at the idea of him retiring as it seemed like every season was better than the last. He was surgically consistent.

The issues with De Gea are nothing new. He's always hung his defenders out to dry staying on his line. If a quality cross comes in against Dave, our defenders are bricking it. No communication, no command of the area. If a quality cross came in against VDS, defenders knew exactly what to do. Either he was staying back and they knew to attack it or if it was anywhere near him he was coming to get it and they knew it. If a quality cross came in against Schmeichel, the attackers and the defenders were both bricking it. They were probably all getting clattered whether necessary or not. It was almost certainly not going in the back of the net though.

All that to say, claiming Schmeichel was better than VDS or vice versa is a preference. There isn't that much in it. But to claim De Gea is on a level never mind better than either of them is ludicrous.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
So you were 9 or 10 years old when we signed VDS. So maybe you watched him a bit, but how can you possibly have an opinion on Schmeichel? I mean, other than Dave is more handsome and has a better beard and always keeps a steely look on his face and whatnot.

All joking aside though, there's no way you actually watched VDS over the years with the dismissive attitude you have toward him. Saying he was never even the best keeper in the league is rich as well considering you compared him to a keeper any level headed fan would rate ahead of DDG. VDS was so good over his last few seasons with us that fans were distraught at the idea of him retiring as it seemed like every season was better than the last. He was surgically consistent."
I was 12. Basic Mathematics.

I am not dismissing Van Der Sar. I loved him too man. But I don't agree with the fact that he was a better keeper than De Gea. Who was quite simply the best keeper in the world for a good few years.

Also I siad I prefer De Gea over Schmeichel from a aesthetic perspective. Which means that I like De Gea's style of keeping as opposed to Schmeichel. The great Dane might well have been better, I'll trust you on that.[/QUOTE]

Skills

Snitch
It should be de gea 100 percent but its so weird. I mean if you look at what hes won (not much) if you look at his flaws.And he has some major ones. Bad at freekicks,average at penalties,not coming out for crosses or corners hes behind the others for me.

For me the best is VDS. Hardly ever saw him make any mistakes. Something I cant say for the other two and he was more consistent than both. Very rarely got beaten by absolute worldies.Doesnt help that i only started supporting us two years before Peter Schmeichel retired but from what i saw he had a mistake in him.

1)VDS
2)Schmeichel
3)David De Gea
You must have missed all 3 of our Champions League finals then.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Van Der Sar wasn't even the clear best keeper in the League. It was always a tussle between him and Cech. De Gea at points was the best keeper on planet Earth and not just the Premier League.
That has to be put into context though. Cech pre-injury is easily one of the top four keepers in premier league history (alongside our three of Schmeichel, VDS and DDG). After the head injury he was never the same and VDS was comfortably better. VDS also had more competition with top keepers in Europe.

Whereas De Gea basically had only himself and Neuer at the top for quite a few years, being at a time between the previous generation falling away and the next generation a few years behind (who now seem to have caught up). I think most would admit that Neuer won that battle most years, and DDG was only the best the seasons that Neuer was struggling with form or injuries.

I do give DDG the edge, but not for the reasons I quoted from you. I also think the battle between DDG and VDS is closer than with Schmeichel, who I rate as clear #1.

Zorica

Ddg has incredible fitness and agility, something that Schmeichel and VDS can't emulate. They may be too slow for current PL standard.

Let's not forget DDG won the Golden Glove once, same as VDS but DDG did it with a weaker defence.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
That has to be put into context though. Cech pre-injury is easily one of the top four keepers in premier league history (alongside our three of Schmeichel, VDS and DDG). After the head injury he was never the same and VDS was comfortably better. VDS also had more competition with top keepers in Europe.

Whereas De Gea basically had only himself and Neuer at the top for quite a few years, being at a time between the previous generation falling away and the next generation a few years behind (who now seem to have caught up). I think most would admit that Neuer won that battle most years, and DDG was only the best the seasons that Neuer was struggling with form or injuries.

I do give DDG the edge, but not for the reasons I quoted from you. I also think the battle between DDG and VDS is closer than with Schmeichel, who I rate as clear #1.
It wasn't just Neuer though was it. Courtois prior to joining up with Chelsea (after Atletico) was considered the second best keeper after Neuer. Once he came to the PL though, De Gea dismantled his reputation to bits. And it became quickly obvious that De Gea was the superior keeper.
What I am implying here is that there were other keepers too, but the fact that De Gea made it a two-way battle with the guy that changed the way we look at keepers (Neuer's sweeper keeper approach) is a testament to the man's ability.

Edit: (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this one) Despirte Cech and Van Der Sar's brilliance, the undisputed best two at the time were Casillas and Buffon. This has been the case with De Gea and Neuer too. Their brilliance simply took other great keepers out of the equation.

Last edited:

Kemizee

A poor run of form from Dave is not going to change my opinion. Dave for me. The last few weeks have made me really understand how fickle some fans. DDG is a uniquely talented goalkeeper.

As awesome as Pete and VDS were, if it came down to a big match where I had to pick one, I would pick Dave. He is capable of producing the impossibe, the magically sublime. #Davesaves everything and it will not be long before he produces his actual form and everyone will be like 'Wow'!!

lewwoo

I would hazard a guess the majority placing VDS and De Gea above Schmeichel either weren't born or are too young to remember Schmeichel.

Sauldogba

You must have missed all 3 of our Champions League finals then.
Name these mistakes he made?
Dont remember him making mistakes in all of our Champions League games.
Maybe you can job my memory

Giggsyking

So you are basing your opinion on the assumption of ..if Dea Gea played with better players would have more trophies than Sar?

Giggsyking

Ddg has incredible fitness and agility, something that Schmeichel and VDS can't emulate. They may be too slow for current PL standard.

Let's not forget DDG won the Golden Glove once, same as VDS but DDG did it with a weaker defence.
at the age of 40 VDS was the best goalkeeper in the League 8 years ago.

Steven-UK

A poor run of form from Dave is not going to change my opinion. Dave for me. The last few weeks have made me really understand how fickle some fans. DDG is a uniquely talented goalkeeper.

As awesome as Pete and VDS were, if it came down to a big match where I had to pick one, I would pick Dave. He is capable of producing the impossibe, the magically sublime. #Davesaves everything and it will not be long before he produces his actual form and everyone will be like 'Wow'!!
Exactly. And if David De Gea made 12 saves in his next match, then the majority of posters on here would have him labelled as being the messiah of goalkeeping again, such is the fickleness of many 'fans'.

Schmeichel had many poor periods as well, but it is longevity and consistency that counts when looking at overall performance ratings, not just the last 5 minutes of a couple of games.

Skills

Snitch
Name these mistakes he made?
Dont remember him making mistakes in all of our Champions League games.
Maybe you can job my memory
He slipped for Lampards goal in 2008. Before even that goal he'd let a ball bounce right in front of him from a cross and didn't react to it. Then I also remember him making a mistake in extra time from which they hit the uprights.

I also don't think he should've been beaten by Eto for the first goal in 2009. It changed the dynamic of the game but a keeper shouldn't get beaten on his near foot from that relatively weak shot. In 2011 he got completely wrong footed by Pedro for the first goal and was beaten way too easily for Messis goal.

Sauldogba

He slipped for Lampards goal in 2008. Before even that goal he'd let a ball bounce right in front of him from a cross and didn't react to it. Then I also remember him making a mistake in extra time from which they hit the uprights.

I also don't think he should've been beaten by Eto for the first goal in 2009. It changed the dynamic of the game but a keeper shouldn't get beaten on his near foot from that relatively weak shot. In 2011 he got completely wrong footed by Pedro for the first goal and was beaten way too easily for Messis goal.
Turns out you were right.
Just watched the highlights of the game.
Funny how opinions change over time.
Tbf to myself i was probably too pissed off to watch any replays of the 09 and 11 finals :lol:
Still hurts till this day.
Especially 09.