Deadly earthquake in Afghanistan - 6.3 magnitude... now happened twice within a few days

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Epicenter seems to have been quite close to Herat, a really historical city that has suffered much damage due to previous earthquakes and of course the conflicts of the last few decades. Hopefully it hasn’t sustained too much more destruction as the remaining of the famous minarets were supposedly looking very vulnerable last I heard.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Have to wonder how accessible the area is to international rescue missions and the like under Taliban rule. It’s not far from the Iranian frontier and I don’t think it’s a particularly mountainous region compared with much of the country.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Third big earthquake in the space of a few months. Scary stuff. For those versed in Abrahamic eschatology, they'd be ominous signs.

RedDevilQuebecois

Have to wonder how accessible the area is to international rescue missions and the like under Taliban rule. It’s not far from the Iranian frontier and I don’t think it’s a particularly mountainous region compared with much of the country.
The main problem in such remote regions is a lack of infrastructure and coordination because of conflicts. Without coordination, the delays in the delivery of aid will cost more lives in the fallout. People are currently digging the rubble with their own hands. :(