Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

TheReligion

Abusive
It states highest paid keeper and also highest paid player in the league.

De gea could be highest paid keeper in the world but could still earn less than other outfield players in the league. Both statements would still be true.
Ah thanks for clarifying. That's ridiculous if so.

In Rainbows

A not dissimilar mistake to De Gea’s there.
Sure, if the ball was shot from a much closer distance, with fewer time to react to a possible attempt at a shot, and if the ball was directed closer towards de Gea's center of mass compared to being shot a little to the left of Henderson's feet.

Zoo

Henderson could do with another PL season under his belt at Sheffield.

For us De Gea needs to know that he can be dropped, he needs to be pressured in the same way Brandon Williams has been doing to Shaw.

El Zoido

Not much a mistake, it looks bad but the shot is from six yards out. He doesn’t know if it’s going high, low, left, right. He set up for a save with his hands and it went low. It wasn’t impossible to save, but I really don’t think you can blame the goalkeeper too much here. DDG’s was worse because the shot was from further out, and it was straight down his throat and he still blundered it.

Nickelodeon

I wouldn’t honestly call it a mistake for Henderson to be fair.

But De Gea would’ve been crucified for this.

Djemba-Djemba

Much more difficult save to make. He had just had to scramble the whole way across his goal and the shot was from closer in.
Aye.

He's clearly put off by the terrible error from the Sheff Utd defender and isn't able to set himself before the shot comes in.

It's nowhere near as bad as the mistake De Gea made on Friday.

acnumber9

Sure, if the ball was shot from a much closer distance, with fewer time to react to a possible attempt at a shot, and if the ball was directed closer towards de Gea's center of mass compared to being shot a little to the left of Henderson's feet.
It had no pace on it. Just couldn’t sort his feet out but you can’t get beat at your near post like that. De Gea would be getting crucified.

Djemba-Djemba

It had no pace on it. Just couldn’t sort his feet out but you can’t get beat at your near post like that. De Gea would be getting crucified.
The fact De Gea has been constantly doing it for the last 18 months or so probably contributes to that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
With zero pace. Shite keeping from both.
They’re not equivalent.

Henderson wasn’t set properly to make a save because he got completely caught by surprise when Stevens fecked up. He was off balance and scrambling to recover, which made the shot difficult to save. De Gea was set and ready for the shot.

It was shite goalkeeping from De Gea but only a minor error from Henderson (who should have reacted better to Stevens’ error)

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He didnt have enough time to rush out, as he would have liked, to make himself bigger. This means he was stuck in two minds, but he didn't really have much option.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
He’s crap lads, get rid while he’s worth something.

;-)

acnumber9

They’re not equivalent.

Henderson wasn’t set properly to make a save because he got completely caught by surprise when Stevens fecked up. He was off balance and scrambling to recover, which made the shot difficult to save. De Gea was set and ready for the shot.

It was shite goalkeeping from De Gea but only a minor error from Henderson (who should have reacted better to Stevens’ error)
Both were shite keeping. Henderson may well be in for a great future but he has a lot to prove yet. He’s getting blown because people on this forum do what they always do and get carried away at the idea of a player they no longer like being replaced. It’s akin to when Varela was being talked about us a future star because people didn’t like Valencia.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
When Henderson can prove he can be one of the top keepers in the world we can compare.
This mentality is obsurd. Is a 50 year old de gea going to be better than Henderson, if Henderson didnt achieve similar heights? Of course not, because you judge a player on their current ability and what they can potentially provide. De gea has been making mistake after mistake.

Djemba-Djemba

When Henderson can prove he can be one of the top keepers in the world we can compare.
I think he'll get a chance here sooner rather than later and we can see. He's hardly going to prove to be one of the top keepers in the world at Sheffield Utd is he?

De Gea was a brilliant keeper for many years, he was our best player for years. But he's been awful for a while now, a proper dodgy keeper. I think it's time he was dropped.

mu4c_20le

It's only his second season in the top flight, we're the only ones directly comparing him to DDG and expecting perfection already

acnumber9

This mentality is obsurd. Is a 50 year old de gea going to be better than Henderson, if Henderson didnt achieve similar heights? Of course not, because you judge a player on their current ability and what they can potentially provide. De gea has been making mistake after mistake.
Henderson will be 42 or something so it’s possible he might be.

Henderson ain’t exactly covering himself in glory. I wonder how many Sheffield United games people have actually been watching.

lysglimt

Scout
Thats true - he has, but he has also been saving making some impossible saves that probably could have gone in with other keepers. People talk about Henderson - but on a normal day DDG could have saved both Newcastle-goals

lysglimt

Scout
Not sure, it’s odd he didn’t dive for it but I don’t think any gk would have stopped that. It was a great strike.
it was - but Henderson was in a wrong position on both goals. He was too central on both strikes

acnumber9

It's only his second season in the top flight, we're the only ones directly comparing him to DDG and expecting perfection already
People are demanding he comes in and replaces De Gea immediately. That’s why there’s a comparison.

Djemba-Djemba

Thats true - he has, but he has also been saving making some impossible saves that probably could have gone in with other keepers. People talk about Henderson - but on a normal day DDG could have saved both Newcastle-goals
But what's a normal day for DDG now?

He's been badly out of form for 18 months now, made some shocking errors. You can't just call this a blip in form.

marktan

Even if Hendo was closer to his post he's not saving that, that ball curved right into the near post at pace. Just a very good strike. Don't think he can be faulted for either goal.

That said he isn't the perfect goalkeeper like some make out and he has another season or two before he can really claim to be a top keeper.

NinjaFletch

it was - but Henderson was in a wrong position on both goals. He was too central on both strikes
Wait, so you think that he should have been standing over by the far post for the first when that ball first comes in?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Said it in the match thread but will say it here too. Henderson isn't under much scrutiny there, he's young, first year in the prem and he's impressed. But being goalkeeper for Man United is a different universe to that. Every action will be scrutinized, everything will be deemed as saveable, and he has to stop them without making mistakes. Consistently. Thats what de gea did for 4 years. He stopped what looked impossible, consistently. He made crazy saves routinely and he had a long stretch without making mistakes. Now he's had a bad year and a half, but it doesn't mean that Henderson is ready to come in right away.

Henderson has had mistakes as well and even others he's let in would be deemed as mistakes were he at United. More hype, more attention and more criticism inevitably. Another year at Sheffield Utd will do him a world of good as he'll need to build on this season and cut out the mistakes that he's had before coming to United. Show he can handle the criticism and higher pressure. He'll be taking over from one of our best goalkeepers ever, and people will be remembering performances like De Gea vs Spurs, Madrid or Arsenal every time Henderson doesn't do the same. So yeah, its too soon for Henderson to just step in. Goalkeeper isn't like other positions, but thankfully I don't think there's a chance that Ole and the club rush into a decision like that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Both were shite keeping. Henderson may well be in for a great future but he has a lot to prove yet. He’s getting blown because people on this forum do what they always do and get carried away at the idea of a player they no longer like being replaced. It’s akin to when Varela was being talked about us a future star because people didn’t like Valencia.
I’ve barely watched Henderson, so have no idea if he’s ready to play for United or not.

I’ve been watching De Gea closely, obviously, and don’t think he’s justified his place since the season before last. I’ve no idea what’s happened to him but it’s a big problem for us. We can’t carry a keeper that’s going to make the frequent mistakes we’ve seen from De Gea since the 2018 WC.

Henderson might be ready to replace him. I don’t know if he is but I don’t think he’s made any mistake today that would rule this out.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You expected him to be standing to his left on that first goal? The goal only happened because the Sheffield United defender failed to clear the ball.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Even if Hendo was closer to his post he's not saving that, that ball curved right into the near post at pace. Just a very good strike. Don't think he can be faulted for either goal.

That said he isn't the perfect goalkeeper like some make out and he has another season or two before he can really claim to be a top keeper.
Disagree. He's been amazing this season arguably a top three GK in the league and is ready to step up.

I fear if we don't make him our #1 next season or let him challenge then we'll lose him and seriously regret it in a few years.

edgar allan

Disagree. He's been amazing this season arguably a top three GK in the league and is ready to step up.

I fear if we don't make him our #1 next season or let him challenge then we'll lose him and seriously regret it in a few years.
No-one knows if can handle the scrutiny or the pressure.

izec

The first goal wasn't a mistake at all, if he saves it it would be a great save, but not something you expect a PL GK to save necessarily. With a bit of luck, he could have saved it.

His positioning on the second goal however wasn't good, it was a bit too central. A step to his right, and he would save it with a dive. Should have done better there. It reminded me a bit of the goal De Gea conceded against Southampton last season, where Valery put one away in the corner and De Gea caught it, but couldn't keep it out.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
No-one knows if can handle the scrutiny or the pressure.
There's only one way to find out...

it's not like we have a world class GK starting for us. I love De Gea and I've stuck up for him plenty of times but it's clear to see he's not the same player anymore.

acnumber9

I’ve barely watched Henderson, so have no idea if he’s ready to play for United or not.

I’ve been watching De Gea closely, obviously, and don’t think he’s justified his place since the season before last. I’ve no idea what’s happened to him but it’s a big problem for us. We can’t carry a keeper that’s going to make the frequent mistakes we’ve seen from De Gea since the 2018 WC.

Henderson might be ready to replace him. I don’t know if he is but I don’t think he’s made any mistake today that would rule this out.
No one game or mistake can prove one way or the other but I don’t think people have watched enough of Henderson to be demanding he replaces De Gea immediately. That’s my only real complaint. De Gea could have no complaints if he was dropped for a while but I don’t think it necessarily means we’ll be better off because De Gea is still capable of making saves others wouldn’t. Schmeichel, even at his best, was good for four or five blunders a year. He made up for it the rest of the time.