Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

AkaAkuma

what are hendersons strengths? Theres been little spoken of it in the thread

khoazany

For what it’s worth
PL Clean Sheets
DDG -7
Henderson -9

I’d still have Henderson on loan for another season . Even if I’ve read on this thread his new contract was worse than signing Sanchez on his contract and he’s suffering from depression.:houllier:
10 now ;)

khoazany

I don't think DDG is as poor as some made out to be, but currently Deano is a better keeper. And you play your best players if you want to reach the top. We must count ourselves lucky that Deano breaks through when DDG's form is going downward season by season.

sdb4884

Henderson should be our no.1 next season but the club sees De Gea as a major asset, like Pogba. For me De Gea needs a fresh start to get back to something close to his best but I don't see the club moving him on.

-Supreme-

Henderson should be our no.1 next season but the club sees De Gea as a major asset, like Pogba. For me De Gea needs a fresh start to get back to something close to his best but I don't see the club moving him on.
The club saw Dr Gea as a major asset since his contract was about to run out but this policy is applicable to all players hence the reason we offered new contracts to the likes of Jones, Rojo in the past.

But once we offered big contracts to underperforming players then we find ourselves in a situation where we simply can't get rid of them easily.

I truly hope that we don't end up with another Rooney situation with De Gea

buckooo1978

a few options I suppose

Bring Henderson back and share time with De Gea as part of a transition.... this beds Henderson in, gets him used to the pressure as we ease De Gea towards the door.... a low risk solution but De Gea isnt likely to be happy with it though maybe competition will result in an improvement?

Let Henderson get another years experience at Sheffield United where he will play every game. Not the pressure cooker that is Old Trafford but good for his development nonetheless

Sell De Gea this Summer and replace. Glazernomics likes this option given we have become a sell to buy club in some aspects under the bloodsucking American twats - with that big contract who is buying De Gea though? Maybe Atletico if a team spent big on Oblak but you need a series of things to happen for this to be feasible - De Gea isnt having an elite season to justify elite wages ot seems

I like the first option but think the second option is most likely - I wouldn't want to risk losing Henderson in the long term so we'd have to work with Dean to plan his transition to our number 1 perhaps

Glazers would love option 3 and if Henderson is the real deal maybe it's the best option for the club

Renegade

I would want to see how he performs for England in the big stage first.
people are underestimating the mental pressure being number 1 on the big stage.
It would be naive to think Henderson would just come back and perform like he has for Sheff Utd where the expectations and exposure is low.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
What he needs is competition and Henderson should be made to come back for a season to battle for that number 1 jersey. Henderson can play fa cup and league cup, the odd champions league game or europa too to keep him busy.

Bondi77

What he needs is competition and Henderson should be made to come back for a season to battle for that number 1 jersey. Henderson can play fa cup and league cup, the odd champions league game or europa too to keep him busy.
Henderson is not going to go from being first choice in a well performing team who could make Europe themselves to playing Cup comps and being back up to De Gea.
He is on the cusp of being the no1 for England, he is not going to keep that by playing Cup competitions and back up to De Gea and the bloke is only 22
Geez!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well first of all he got better stats than De Gea this season, more clean sheets and less goals conceded in similar no. of games played.

Then if we look at the type of saves he has made this season:

Seems quite good at making saves and blocking goals, not bad reflex too, quite impressive.

I have never seen him much so its hard to judge, but everything looking good from the look of it.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
For starters his save percentage is up around 75% while De Gea's is only about 70%.

De Gea's passing accuracy is about 72% while Henderson's is about 40%, albeit he plays more than twice as many long balls as De Gea. Still, less than 25% of his passes are long balls though so clearly his distribution is under par.

Tbh, if you just hit it randomly somewhere within the white lines you'd think you'd get better than 40% pass completion :lol:

hmchan

With Ole's obsession towards de Gea, I can hardly see Dean stand a chance to be our no. 1 next season. When de Gea repeatedly made mistakes last season, Ole still decided to stick with him. I can't see a single reason why he will be dropped in the foreseeable future, especially with Ole's lack of confidence in youngsters.

Judas

Open to offers
Newspapers linking Real with De Gea again, I can't see it happening personally, but a big offer from them could be very interesting development.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
With Ole's obsession towards de Gea, I can hardly see Dean stand a chance to be our no. 1 next season. When de Gea repeatedly made mistakes last season, Ole still decided to stick with him. I can't see a single reason why he will be dropped in the foreseeable future, especially with Ole's lack of confidence in youngsters.
He's not going to publicly call De Gea shit is he? Especially when the 2nd option probably isn't better than him.

I've seen plenty of examples of Ole getting rid of under performing players, it's just sometimes the options he has aren't that great but even then he still drops/sells them.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
He's 23 in a few days, there is no need to rush him, especially when we have de Gea and Romero.

Another year on loan at Sheffield United and around the England squad will be my preferred choice, then see how he is coping after next season.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's 23 in a few days, there is no need to rush him, especially when we have de Gea and Romero.

Another year on loan at Sheffield United and around the England squad will be my preferred choice, then see how he is coping after next season.
If he goes on loan next season, that will be his 6th loan. What is he, a Chelsea player?

You lot are going to have a similar situation to Chelsea (in the next couple of years) when we had Cech and Courtois. De Gea is a lot younger than Cech as so it's a much more difficult call that the club has to make.

Eric's Seagull

Newspapers linking Real with De Gea again, I can't see it happening personally, but a big offer from them could be very interesting development.
Didn't expect to see De Gea,linked to Real again, especially at 70m. If there is any truth in it, I would take that and bring back Henderson as it would add substantially to our transfer budget and at the same time bring our wages down significantly.

Amerifan

I thought Courtois was doing really well for them this season?
He is. Arguably better than DDG is doing for us. Certainly not 70 million worth of upgrade. Probably just media clickbait.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Needs to work on his grip IMO. Another season at Sheffield would be most wise move for now I think.

Red00012

He seems to parry a lot.

I think he needs another year on loan .
He has 1 years PL experience and Sheff Utd are having a one of a kind season.

There is a lot of pressure playing in goal for Utd as we’ve found out down through the years.

Alabaster Codify7

The board have made too much of a financial investment in DDG to bench him, so he's our #1 for the foreseeable future. The time to move on DDG was the summer or even the one before that, now we won't be able to shift him even if we wanted to. I fully expect Henderson to be permanently signing with someone else in the summer and it won't be Sheff United, it'll be a bigger side such as Chelsea if Roman decides to shift Kepa and back Lampard. It'll be a shame, but I wouldn't blame the kid whatsoever.

Nikelesh Reddy

Let’s not jump the gun.Let Henderson stay at Sheffield United for another season...Let’s see how he performs next season,after all lots of players have good seasons but very few consistently deliver the goods in the PL.Lets see how De Gea performs next year,let’s see how Henderson shapes up over the next 15 months before taking a decision.I think it would be hasty to give up on De Gea so soon...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The board have made too much of a financial investment in DDG to bench him, so he's our #1 for the foreseeable future. The time to move on DDG was the summer or even the one before that, now we won't be able to shift him even if we wanted to. I fully expect Henderson to be permanently signing with someone else in the summer and it won't be Sheff United, it'll be a bigger side such as Chelsea if Roman decides to shift Kepa and back Lampard. It'll be a shame, but I wouldn't blame the kid whatsoever.
I doubt we'd sell him to someone we're in direct competition with, by the sounds of it he's picking up interest across Europe.

If we're keeping DDG, which I think is a likely scenario, I wouldn't be against selling Henderson to Sheffield United with a buyback clause.

sillwuka

He's not ready to come in and replace De Gea. I know he has another years experience but he crumbled at the U21 tournament which was his first real taste of pressure, Internationally.

You know what the United fanbase is like, one mistake which is bound to happen will result in a social media and media frenzy. I think one more season away from Old Trafford will do him a world of good.

duffer

Scout
He's not ready to come in and replace De Gea. I know he has another years experience but he crumbled at the U21 tournament which was his first real taste of pressure, Internationally.

You know what the United fanbase is like, one mistake which is bound to happen will result in a social media and media frenzy. I think one more season away from Old Trafford will do him a world of good.
The Premier League and Championship are far, far bigger tests of pressure than a U21 tournament.

hmchan

To call playing your clubs best goalkeeper every week an obsession is peak Ole out mental gymnastics.
What I mean by obsession is to stick with a goalkeeper who repeatedly makes mistakes in consecutive matches directly leading to plenty of dropped points while the backup keeper is not bad at all.

To call de Gea the best goalkeeper is peak inmate in jail who missed the past year's games and was still living in the past.

For your reference Lampard dropped Kepa for no obvious mistake and he came back stronger. This is how you deal with a keeper.

sillwuka

The Premier League and Championship are far, far bigger tests of pressure than a U21 tournament.
True and it does make sense to judge him over 2 full seasons as opposed to a Tournament.

What I'm getting at though is the pressure of playing for England and Man Utd is much higher than Sheffield United. We will never really know unless we give him the chance. I think him and DDG should both be at the club fighting for that spot.

Judas

Open to offers
What I mean by obsession is to stick with a goalkeeper who repeatedly makes mistakes in consecutive matches directly leading to plenty of dropped points while the backup keeper is not bad at all.

To call de Gea the best goalkeeper is peak inmate in jail who missed the past year's games and was still living in the past.

For your reference Lampard dropped Kepa for no obvious mistake and he came back stronger. This is how you deal with a keeper.
De Gea with all his issues (and he's got many) is still the clubs best goalkeeper. He's better than Romero and he's better than Grant.

duffer

Scout
True and it does make sense to judge him over 2 full seasons as opposed to a Tournament.

What I'm getting at though is the pressure of playing for England and Man Utd is much higher than Sheffield United. We will never really know unless we give him the chance. I think him and DDG should both be at the club fighting for that spot.
There's no fight though when one of the goalies is on the wages DDG is on. Look at Romero, he's been more or less faultless whenever he has had a chance but hasn't been given the first team spot.

cyberman

There's no fight though when one of the goalies is on the wages DDG is on. Look at Romero, he's been more or less faultless whenever he has had a chance but hasn't been given the first team spot.
Romero isnt a future United number 1 though.
Romero is incredibley solid but he isnt special. David and Dean are.
Its like Courtois for your lot at Atletico. David has a year left after next, hes not staying beyond that