Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Boy am I glad we didn’t put him on for the penalty shoot out vs Villareal:rolleyes:

lsd

The Oracle
You can tell by that celebration he so wants out of us. Think he grown to dislike us now.

I think it sums up his attitude to football. It's all about him and not the team. So long as he saves a penalty it didn't matter who wins or loses.

I can imagine him at United willing De Gea to let in goals so he gets in the side, never offering any help in training to anyone else but just looking to put himself centre stage

RedMistyDevil

Where were the penalty saving heroics of his when we faced Middlesborough last season? If we had stayed in the cup, Rangnick might have played him in a few more games (or not).

If he was pissing about in that game because Rangnick didn't pick him the other times, then you have to question why we should put him in the team at all. That type of behaviour is utterly toxic to the dressing room has no place in the team, no matter how good he thinks he is.

If he wasn't pissing about, then is he really that good at saving penalties? Or is it luck?

Phil Osophy

Where were the penalty saving heroics of his when we faced Middlesborough last season? If we had stayed in the cup, Rangnick might have played him in a few more games (or not).

If he was pissing about in that game because Rangnick didn't pick him the other times, then you have to question why we should put him in the team at all. That type of behaviour is utterly toxic to the dressing room has no place in the team, no matter how good he thinks he is.

If he wasn't pissing about, then is he really that good at saving penalties? Or is it luck?
I saw a thread from John Harrison a pair of weeks ago (when Henderson saved the previous penalty) where he said that Henderon has a 'wonderful PKs routine' and explains it from a technical perspective. According to him the key is the "power step" right before jumping, maximizing the dive range. It's an interesting thread.

He says De Gea has a reluctance to use the power step and that's one of the reasons of him being weak at them. It also mentions the "negative step" (a step in the opposite direction before diving) as a reason, but if I'm not wrong Henderson did this negative step today to save the penalty, so I'm curious too see if he praises him for this save like he did with the previous one or not.

RedMistyDevil

I saw a thread from John Harrison a pair of weeks ago (when Henderson saved the previous penalty) where he said that Henderon has a 'wonderful PKs routine' and explains it from a technical perspective. According to him the key is the "power step" right before jumping, maximizing the dive range. It's an interesting thread.

He says De Gea has a reluctance to use the power step and that's one of the reasons of him being weak at them. It also mentions the "negative step" (a step in the opposite direction before diving) as a reason, but if I'm not wrong Henderson did this negative step today to save the penalty, so I'm curious too see if he praises him for this save like he did with the previous one or not.
I think I've seen him talk about De Gea's penalties before too, and I think he mentioned that De Gea didn't do the negative step when he saved Mark Noble's penalty last year.

Still, if Deano has the correct technique, why didn't he use it during the Middlesborough shootout?

Phil Osophy

I think I've seen him talk about De Gea's penalties before too, and I think he mentioned that De Gea didn't do the negative step when he saved Mark Noble's penalty last year.

Still, if Deano has the correct technique, why didn't he use it during the Middlesborough shootout?
To be honest I watched that game half-arsedly, and I only remember Ronaldo and Fernandes missing goals one after another.

Anyway, I don't know what stopped Henderson from using his best tricks there. Maybe a bad day at the office, or he wasn't focused enough after being frozen that season and not in the best state of mind, but I don't really know. He should have done better for sure.

In any case, a record during a long period will be always a better reflection of things than one isolated day. Even more when those who know praise the guy for his skills there, the guy must be doing something right I guess.

Phil Osophy

By the way, 2 MOTM in 4 games by now this season, and the best rate in Whoscored in the whole Premier League, including outfield players (8.01).

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2022-2023

Obviously he's faced a lot of attacks and he's made some mistakes, but overall he's responded well to it. Most saves in the league (22), 2nd most high claims, 2 penalty saves, top-5 in sweeping actions, the last minute save against Everton 1v1 keeping the point for them. All this coming from a whole year without playing.

If I don't pay attention and I just read this thread I would think this is a keeper without arms or something.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

The advantage is always with the attacker so if the penalties are too good then there’s nothing the keeper can do. As I recall a lot of the pens were very good, he may have guessed the wrong way on some.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Personally love the guy.

maybe not perfect long term - but was good enough for another year or two.

Lyng

Personally love the guy.

maybe not perfect long term - but was good enough for another year or two.
Honestly I don't understand how any United fan can love this twat after his antics in the media.
He cares about himself and nothing else. Celebrating the penalty yesterday despite his team losing. Being all smiles and laughter with Kane after the match, despite his team just losing.

ti vu

I'm no expert but I don't think gk should defend close post here?

He's way off defending near post when Richarlison had the ball. Doesn't need to be that much in front to secure near post from Richarlison who is at the edge of the box of, and with defender limit Richarlison shooting angle.

The goal is more about general defending by the defender, but Henderson positioning is not ideal.

Bebestation

Honestly I don't understand how any United fan can love this twat after his antics in the media.
He cares about himself and nothing else. Celebrating the penalty yesterday despite his team losing. Being all smiles and laughter with Kane after the match, despite his team just losing.
Im not really a media type of guy & I personally don’t find our fan base angels to really support the fan base over the players.

The fan base are a moaning bunch of a”s holes but when a player does it arguably both for the benefit of himself and even the club - then he gets chucked under the bus.

I actually am really starting to like Henderson’s personality as a player.

Ace of Spades

I don't personally like him, or any other player in this squad really, but I can understand the frustration he had. There are probably others as well who were not happy as well, they just did not come out and say it.

Our squad management has been a mess for a while.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You can say DDG is bad at controling his box, bad at sweeping and bad at playing out from the back but you cant say he would not save or get near a ball. DDG pulled of his impossible saves over the years.
and Henderson kept Forest in the game yesterday for long periods - rather than out of it within minutes

Vapor trail

I don't personally like him, or any other player in this squad really, but I can understand the frustration he had. There are probably others as well who were not happy as well, they just did not come out and say it.

Our squad management has been a mess for a while.
Solskjaer made a total mess of the situation. For any fan to question his frustration has to be out of touch with reality. His response on social media was unnecessary however.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think it sums up his attitude to football. It's all about him and not the team. So long as he saves a penalty it didn't matter who wins or loses.

I can imagine him at United willing De Gea to let in goals so he gets in the side, never offering any help in training to anyone else but just looking to put himself centre stage
He just screams “weapon”, doesn’t he? The kind of guy who’d always be a weapon, in any situation.

Lyng

and Henderson kept Forest in the game yesterday for long periods - rather than out of it within minutes
He is also the biggest reason they went behind so early. The first goal was a complete howler and yes DDG would have saved that.

Ace of Spades

Solskjaer made a total mess of the situation. For any fan to question his frustration has to be out of touch with reality. His response on social media was unnecessary however.
This is not just down to Ole, this has been a problem before him and we still are struggling after he has gone.

In the end, the decision makers at the top have been hugely incompetent.

dinostar77

Henderson is great keeper for a team in the lower half of the league. Where hes constantly involved in the game. Unlike at a top club where you might not have to make a save for 60mins then pull off a amazing save in a blink of an eye. Its a mentality thing that the elite keepers have and henderson doesnt. Hes a good keeper, just not good enough to be a elite keeper.

Bebestation

Henderson is great keeper for a team in the lower half of the league. Where hes constantly involved in the game. Unlike at a top club where you might not have to make a save for 60mins then pull off a amazing save in a blink of an eye. Its a mentality thing that the elite keepers have and henderson doesnt. Hes a good keeper, just not good enough to be a elite keeper.
This sounds like De Gea. Better the worse the team is.

Bebestation

De gea was our player of the year for four season on the trot. God knows where we would have finished in the PL without him constantly saving utd.
Most of those seasons we were shit - needing a goalkeeper to be the main man saving us.

Anyway, Spain’s number 4 keeper for a keeper arguably in his best years. I’ll keep this for the de gea thread.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's a better option than De Gea in the same vein that Dalot is a better option than AWB or Martial is a better option than Ronaldo. i.e. he's clearly not up to the level we aspire to be at in a few years and will probably be sold anyway, but is he really worth all the drama and baggage he comes with for the sake of playing him over De Gea for the season while we sort our shit at? Debatable.

Ultimately we made a total mess of the situation and it's all the club's doing, really. You don't give a player a bumper contract off the back of a great loan spell and then not reward him with any football, it's just so silly. Either let him go or make him first choice. We did neither.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Then more rattled people get in here the more u love Henderson. It’s hilarious how much he’s got people scrambling. Any and all excuses out to pretend he’s crap and that De Gea is better.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's a better option than De Gea in the same vein that Dalot is a better option than AWB or Martial is a better option than Ronaldo. i.e. he's clearly not up to the level we aspire to be at in a few years and will probably be sold anyway, but is he really worth all the drama and baggage he comes with for the sake of playing him over De Gea for the season while we sort our shit at? Debatable.
I agree with this.

Henderson does things you would want DeGea to do e.g., come for crosses, be willing to leave his line. However, I am not convinced he can become another Ederson. Henderson with the ball at his feet is not much better than DeGea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Ultimately we made a total mess of the situation and it's all the club's doing, really. You don't give a player a bumper contract off the back of a great loan spell and then not reward him with any football, it's just so silly. Either let him go or make him first choice. We did neither.
It would just seem a complete waste of time to ditch DDG for someone who is so bang average with the ball at his feet. DDG’s obviously been instructed to smash the ball long rather than play it out from the back. Which is clearly not how ETH wants to play. Why replace him with someone who only seems capable of doing the exact same thing?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It would just seem a complete waste of time to ditch DDG for someone who is so bang average with the ball at his feet. DDG’s obviously been instructed to smash the ball long rather than play it out from the back. Which is clearly not how ETH wants to play. Why replace him with someone who only seems capable of doing the exact same thing?
I agree with this.

Henderson does things you would want DeGea to do e.g., come for crosses, be willing to leave his line. However, I am not convinced he can become another Ederson. Henderson with the ball at his feet is not much better than DeGea.
Yeah, that's the real crux of the issue. If he was decent with the ball at his feet then I'm sure EtH would've fought a lot harder to keep him, but he's not, and clearly EtH didn't feel he was worth the hassle and baggage. We need to move on from the guy, the club fecked up, but he's not the answer to our GK woes.

Jezpeza

Strange love in for Henderson here. Neither him or De Gea are good enough and we werent going to shift De Gea. Better to cash in on Henderson and sign a new keeper in time. Henderson is along the lines of Heaton, Foster and Johnstone imo. Can be a good PL keeper but never going to be top drawer.