Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I have to presume you didn't watch the Spurs game...
I did. Other than the penalty save I thought the saves he made were very routine, while you could ask questions about him on both goals. And yet the commentators were very quick to praise those routine saves, and found very little time to question him on the goals. The question was raised on the first goal and then just lingered there. Reminds me a lot of Joe Hart, really. They’re building him up to tear him down, and they’re needing very little to build him up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can tell by that celebration he so wants out of us. Think he grown to dislike us now.
Which is a good thing. I think De Gea and Henderson are two cheeks of the same ass — both have some strengths but both are also fraught with weaknesses and shouldn’t be our first choice long term. I think letting De Gea leave on a free next summer + selling Henderson after a successful season at Forest would be the correct play.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Strange love in for Henderson here. Neither him or De Gea are good enough and we werent going to shift De Gea. Better to cash in on Henderson and sign a new keeper in time. Henderson is along the lines of Heaton, Foster and Johnstone imo. Can be a good PL keeper but never going to be top drawer.
I also think it’s weird, from the hype I expected more when he played for us.

Our supports do tend to overrate our talent. And people are frustrated with De Gea, the game has moved on from his best days and it’s done so in a way that makes him a weaker keeper, imo, his weaknesses are more exposed.

Jezpeza

I also think it’s weird, from the hype I expected more when he played for us.

Our supports do tend to overrate our talent. And people are frustrated with De Gea, the game has moved on from his best days and it’s done so in a way that makes him a weaker keeper, imo, his weaknesses are more exposed.
the big gripe about De Gea is his distribution and hes started to commit errors. Its interesting about the distribution because Eric Steele said it used to be better and has gone downhill.

jesperjaap

I did. Other than the penalty save I thought the saves he made were very routine, while you could ask questions about him on both goals. And yet the commentators were very quick to praise those routine saves, and found very little time to question him on the goals. The question was raised on the first goal and then just lingered there. Reminds me a lot of Joe Hart, really. They’re building him up to tear him down, and they’re needing very little to build him up.
Completely agree and this is also pretty much his loan spell at Sheffield United too.

His celebrating saves and saving two penalties is gettign seriously over exaggerated plaudits. Dont get me wrong he is doing well on loan as he did at SHeffield United, but though I wouldnt call them routine saves, a lot of them are saves you would expect a good young keeper to make, not worldies or anything.

Dean Henderson nevrr has been the answer for us. He is rash of his line, he is also very average with the ball at his feet, something we slate DeGea for.

He was really only a viable alternative here when DeGea went through the awful spell of form, when anybody would have been a viable alternative.

Good young keeper, but in a realtively weak period of ENglish keepers, he isnt in the top three for me

JB7

Boy am I glad we didn’t put him on for the penalty shoot out vs Villareal:rolleyes:
Had we started him we wouldn't have needed the shoot out anyway, he deals with the ball into the box for their goal with his eyes closed.

People forget how embarrassingly bad De Gea was for the goal because of how embarrassingly bad he was in the penalty shoot out.

Completely agree and this is also pretty much his loan spell at Sheffield United too.

His celebrating saves and saving two penalties is gettign seriously over exaggerated plaudits. Dont get me wrong he is doing well on loan as he did at SHeffield United, but though I wouldnt call them routine saves, a lot of them are saves you would expect a good young keeper to make, not worldies or anything.

Dean Henderson nevrr has been the answer for us. He is rash of his line, he is also very average with the ball at his feet, something we slate DeGea for.

He was really only a viable alternative here when DeGea went through the awful spell of form, when anybody would have been a viable alternative.

Good young keeper, but in a realtively weak period of ENglish keepers, he isnt in the top three for me
He is doing well on loan to average teams because he's under less pressure. When you're expected to get peppered with shots and concede goals there is less scrutiny. Its 'what a brilliant finish from the striker' rather than 'what's the keeper doing there'. He can only look good in that environment because he is a good keeper, just not a top one. Put De Gea in that environment and he would look like Lev Yashin.

The hardest part of being a top keeper is to do feck all for 89 minutes and then pull off a worldie when it's needed. Henderson was never as good at that as De Gea.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The commentary was so weird. "Henderson had absolutely no chance there" as a scuffed shot from 16 yards out bounces three times before crossing the line...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The commentary was so weird. "Henderson had absolutely no chance there" as a scuffed shot from 16 yards out bounces three times before crossing the line...
that's the point... completely misshit. Anyone of those criticising ever actually play in goal (other than for five minutes in a 5-a-side?)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
that's the point... completely misshit. Anyone of those criticising ever actually play in goal (other than for five minutes in a 5-a-side?)
Yeah, me. And involved in coaching goalkeepers at my son's club. One of the most basic fundamentals of goalkeeping is getting in a ready stance when you're likely to have to make a save. Which involves weight forwards, on the balls of your feet. Henderson was completely flat-footed, with his weight back on his heels. That's why he couldn't react and looked rooted to the spot. It was an unusual error for a top keeper but an obvious one all the same.

hobbers

He's got some of the best PR in the country fairs
This is why it's great he's already burned his United bridges.

We'd end up with another Rashford or Maguire situation. Where the deluded English press and club PR prop them up despite them so clearly dragging us down.

Ema_datsi

Based on all the noise around him and his actual performances, the real question is who has the better PR - him, McFridge or the mighty Rashford?

mu4c_20le

I was on his side for the longest time because he came through our academy but if he doesn't want to be here then let him be someone else's problem. Too much baggage with all this talk shite.

Chairman Steve

I think he’s our Joe Hart. Cocky little bastard whose overrated because he’s English. Makes flashy saves for the cameras but falls short on the elements that stop him being in the elite bracket.

lsd

The Oracle
I despair of any United fan who actually wants a guy with his me first attitude at United.

We finally look like a real team with everyone pulling together yet there are still people that apparently world rather we kill that team spirit

Abraxas

I despair of any United fan who actually wants a guy with his me first attitude at United.

We finally look like a real team with everyone pulling together yet there are still people that apparently world rather we kill that team spirit
Is it really me first to be annoyed about not playing football after being told you would? It's nobody else's career. It's worse as a keeper because when you seek clarification on your opportunities and then it falls short, you don't just fall short and get a squad role, you basically do f all for a whole season.

I don't have a problem with his attitude, he raises his head above the parapet but I don't see that as an inherent problem, especially for a keeper. I have a bit of a problem in the way he expressed it, which seemed like an outburst of frustration, not exactly unforgivable or worthy of how over the top some on here go about him.

The biggest problem of all is he didn't seem to be good enough when he did get an opportunity to play.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a good goalkeeper, he’s been called overrated about a hundred times in this thread, which sort of suggests he isn’t. I don’t know if he’ll ever be good enough for United, but the hatred and vitriol toward him is really weird.
Yeah he’s cocky but so what? It makes the sport more fun to have characters like him in it, even if you don’t like him.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
:lol: yeah it really was! Especially from folks who usually love to criticise goalkeepers. I wonder if people just empathised with his comments as he moved to Forest, feeling like he was screwed around by a giant club in a mess. So he’s viewed through that lens right now, it’s a redemption story, sticking it to the man. They just don’t seem to notice that he really didn’t do himself any favours when he played.

I’d be totally happy if we sold De Gea and went with Henderson this year. He’d be an upgrade in some areas and a downgrade in others, but moving on de Gea would be a good step in any case. But he really did nothing in his time here, during De Gea’s lowest point, to show he was the future. He’s another on that would need to be replaced, just like Guardiola did as soon he started playing progressive football with City. Some players just don’t have it.

Longshanks

Yeah, me. And involved in coaching goalkeepers at my son's club. One of the most basic fundamentals of goalkeeping is getting in a ready stance when you're likely to have to make a save. Which involves weight forwards, on the balls of your feet. Henderson was completely flat-footed, with his weight back on his heels. That's why he couldn't react and looked rooted to the spot. It was an unusual error for a top keeper but an obvious one all the same.
He looks like to me that he in his ready posistion, I think he gets caught out by the scuff and the bounce, possibly the combination of the two makes him initially think that its hit the defender and he goes to reset himself and then realllisied to late that it hasn't actually been blocked or deflected.

Little unlucky that a compete mishit ended up in the bottom corner, but still goes down as an error non the less.

Second goal isn't on him at all, allowing Richarlison the freedom of Nottingham to pick a cross and then leaving Harry Kane on his own on the edge of the six yard box is pretty catastrophic defending.

Still would rather Henderson than De Gea whether going forward Henderson is good enough, the jury is still very much out on that one.

90 + 5min

He's got some of the best PR in the country fairs
Two penalty saves and he is suddenly Champions League, elite goalkeeper. Well, give Tim Krul some prize.

Henderson is Championship goalkeeper and he has shown nothing to be our next nr.1. Let Nottingham buy this elite keeper for big sum next summer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've found commentators tend to do that a lot for all goalkeepers. I suppose it builds the narrative that exciting things are happening and the viewer needs to be watching. De Gea gets it a lot as well, there was a save against Southampton that you'd expect your keeper to make but the commentators talked like it was an amazing reflex save. In reality it was the kind of thing you'd consider a mistake if the keeper didn't save it. Indeed it was very similar to one of the mistakes that Henderson actually did make for us, and people still bring it up to criticise him 18 months later.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Really? It's shocking how bad we are at getting fees.
Yeah, it is 20. But it is not obligatory (i think though). So in that way we can recall him and sell him to better buyer.

I don't know how optional fees work, tbh.

A lot of posters in this thread who seem to have made up their minds on Henderson one way or the other long ago and are seeing what they want to see.

I wanted to keep Henderson this summer and am glad he's off to a good start at Forest. He clearly should have done a better job with the Kane goal ("yeah, but De Gea let Brentford's first goal in!" is neither here nor there :lol: ) and while I wouldn't say the Gray goal last week was an error, he did pull a bit of an Ederson and make it easier for the attacker by coming out charging into no man's land like that. He's not perfect or world class - as he's shown in his United career to date.

Then on the flipside, you have asinine comments like "he's gash", "Championship keeper", etc. etc. Like ... come on folks, he's clearly not. The last time he and De Gea were competing for the same spot in our team, he came out better on the majority of individual and team metrics (not going to bother re-posting them because they're already in a dozen different places in this thread, and the usual crowd only ever responds with that Salah goal screenshot).

RedOrange

Then on the flipside, you have asinine comments like "he's gash", "Championship keeper", etc. etc. Like ... come on folks, he's clearly not. The last time he and De Gea were competing for the same spot in our team, he came out better on the majority of individual and team metrics (not going to bother re-posting them because they're already in a dozen different places in this thread, and the usual crowd only ever responds with that Salah goal screenshot).
"Championship goalkeeper" is particularly stupid, considering he played every match for Sheffield United the year they got automatic promotion to the PL, then 36 the next year when they stayed up. Then they got relegated the next year when he left. Obviously there's more to that than the goalkeeper but if he's so shit he belongs in the Championship they wouldn't have been able to pull off what they did with him playing all but 2 league matches over those 2 seasons.

SAFMUTD

Hopefully the PR continues and Nottingham buys him. He's a good keeper, but if he wasnt from the academy we wouldn't even be talking about him. There's plenty of better keepers around, and we certainly need better.

city-puma

Hopefully the PR continues and Nottingham buys him. He's a good keeper, but if he wasnt from the academy we wouldn't even be talking about him. There's plenty of better keepers around, and we certainly need better.
You probably forget how hot he was in the summer after SU’s first season in EPL.
he should have beour no. 1 since returning that summer.
However, I think we need to and must have a modern goalkeeper, comfortable with ball and an integral part of playing from back. Both DDG and him are not.
but, I admire his character and motivation to wanna be the best he could become in his playing career.

SAFMUTD

You probably forget how hot he was in the summer after SU’s first season in EPL.
he should have beour no. 1 since returning that summer.
However, I think we need to and must have a modern goalkeeper, comfortable with ball and an integral part of playing from back. Both DDG and him are not.
but, I admire his character and motivation to wanna be the best he could become in his playing career.
I don't forget, that's why I said he's a good keeper. But we need better, all winning teams have technical keepers, players that not only stop shots but also contribute to the team's build up.

As you mentioned neither De Gea nor Henderson are capable of that, that doesn't mean their shit. But they're not modern keepers.