Dean Henderson | Nottingham Forest loan watch

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No where near as short for a keeper though, he still has alot of years ahead of him. Plus if he's really as good as he himself believes he is then he would've displaced De Gea before the season is over anyway.

I personally don't think he would've done it, but my opinion doesn't matter, if he believes he can do it then he should've stayed and shown that he's capable of doing it.
But maybe he can see it’s not a fair contest? De Gea is one of the highest paid players in the world with a massive reputation built over a decade. At one point he really was one of the worlds best. These days however he’s a relic unable to contribute in the way Utd actually need and he massively holds us back. It might be that Henderson feels he’s fighting against that reputation rather than competing against the current version of De Gea we see today.

TrustInJanuzaj

seriously, when was the last time such an average player had such vocal fanboys? I fully understand being a CR or Messi fanboy, but how the feck can you be a Dean Henderson fanboy?
Haven’t seen a single Henderson fanboy in this thread? Some quotes perhaps?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It is quite mad, Henderson is average at all aspects of goalkeeping but because he’s a gobshite people actually buy into his self proclaimed hype.

De Gea may be well past his best and he definitely needs to be replaced, but we’d be worse off starting Henderson every week.
Do you have any stats to back this up? Because if what @TrustInJanuzaj says is true, stats wise utd did better with Hendo in goal.

sepulturite

seriously, when was the last time such an average player had such vocal fanboys? I fully understand being a CR or Messi fanboy, but how the feck can you be a Dean Henderson fanboy?
Yeh I really don't understand it either. If he was performing miracles for forest this season I'd get it, but he isn't.

Smores

It's always fascinating to watch these threads unfold. Some have spent years on here insisting he was great, acceptance otherwise takes a while.

We're on stage 1 of denial, soon to be followed by stepping back that they ever thought he was great.

TrustInJanuzaj

It's always fascinating to watch these threads unfold. Some have spent years on here insisting he was great, acceptance otherwise takes a while.

We're on stage 1 of denial, soon to be followed by stepping back that they ever thought he was great.
I genuinely don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone on here say Henderson is great. I recall people saying he needed to be given time so we could properly judge his abilities in a Utd shirt. And I do remember people praising his ability right back when he was first breaking through. I can only speak for myself but I don’t think he’s great and I doubt he’s the long term world class keeper we need but I maintain De Gea is currently one of the worst (if not the worst) keepers in the Premier League. He just holds us back in so many ways whilst still costing us major mistakes. I understand that De Gea as a club legend gets a lot of leeway and goodwill but this is like the Rooney situation where he’s playing on reputation rather than his actual performances. On performance alone we’d have sold him a couple years ago.

Lyng

Our current defence doesn't suit Henderson. He is not the type of keeper who pulls out a brilliant save when he hasn't had anything to do for the rest of the match. He wouldn't have saved Maddissons freekick. We need to upgrade De Gea but Henderson is not the answer. At all.

sepulturite

But maybe he can see it’s not a fair contest? De Gea is one of the highest paid players in the world with a massive reputation built over a decade. At one point he really was one of the worlds best. These days however he’s a relic unable to contribute in the way Utd actually need and he massively holds us back. It might be that Henderson feels he’s fighting against that reputation rather than competing against the current version of De Gea we see today.
I dunno mate, maybe. Either ways I don't think either of them are the solution to our goalkeeping dilemma. And I don't agree with you saying in other posts about Henderson being better in this team because he's better at the other aspects of his game compared to De Gea, I think he's just as average and would make no difference.

But we'll probably have to agree to disagree on that point I'd say.

TrustInJanuzaj

Our current defence doesn't suit Henderson. He is not the type of keeper who pulls out a brilliant save when he hasn't had anything to do for the rest of the match. He wouldn't have saved Maddissons freekick. We need to upgrade De Gea but Henderson is not the answer. At all.
That is literally not what we need. Ederson isn’t that kind of keeper at City but he allows them to play an incredibly aggressive possession game which is what Utd are trying to build. If anything De Gea clearly doesn’t suit this current Utd team as we are having to alter our tactics just to get him into the side. Pulling off the odd wondersave doesn’t account for having to change our whole system. Personally I’d rather concede that free kick, but facilitate a style of play that allows us to dominate anyway and score 3 at the other end. That won’t happen with De Gea between the sticks.

cyberman

No defence suits Henderson because he is blatantly average. Ten Hag made the choice like every manager before him yet we still have fans pretend Henderson is any good at playing the ball out himself because that’s all they have.
We aren’t playing the ball out with either keeper

Olecurls99

He clearly doesn’t as they were pretty much unsavable. Completely misses the point though anyway in that saves are only a tiny fraction of a keepers body of work. A proactive keeper prevents even having to make saves because they are already dominating other facets of the game such as claiming high balls and sweeping behind the defence. It’s incredible that after 4 years of awful performances De Gea still has such a faithful following, he will cost us more points over the season thats for certain.
Unsaveable!? They were both a foot over his head.

Saves are only a tiny fraction of a keepers body of work?! A tiny fraction, really?

I'm not sold on De Gea and he has been poor for 4 years but this guy ain't the answer. Any keeper who thinks those shots are 'Unsaveable' is not what we're looking for.

Longshanks

The problem with this though is the management (ie: Ole etc.) we're long gone by the time he did this interview, what was the point in dragging all that up when it was in the past and those people that went back on those promises aren't at the club anymore?

Just get your head down and try and impress the new management and displace De Gea, that's the best way to do it. I think EtH would've been way more impressed with him doing that and not running away on loan instead.
Just get your head down, impress the new manager possibly sit on the bench at the start of the season lose any hope of going to the world cup in 3 months.

Basically feck your short career that we have already stalled for you, the club that broke promises with regards to playing time last season is going to make those same promises this season and we expect you to believe us again.

Would you potentially waste another season of your short career and compleatly foregoe any chance of going to the upcoming world cup on a 50/50 chance of the new manager picking you over the highest paid GK in the world? Or would you take guaranteed first team football in the PL and put yourself in the Frame for that world cup?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
That is literally not what we need. Ederson isn’t that kind of keeper at City but he allows them to play an incredibly aggressive possession game which is what Utd are trying to build. If anything De Gea clearly doesn’t suit this current Utd team as we are having to alter our tactics just to get him into the side. Pulling off the odd wondersave doesn’t account for having to change our whole system. Personally I’d rather concede that free kick, but facilitate a style of play that allows us to dominate anyway and score 3 at the other end. That won’t happen with De Gea between the sticks.
Do you honestly think this would have happened in the last game?

Karlos PFC

He was promised game time and watched an inferior keeper play on front of him,
You keep repeating this over and over. Inferior just because he can't play from the back? Man give your head a shake. Henderson as far as good he is he isn't strong mentally and he showed it by choosing to leave on loan on the first chance even before he met with Ten Hag (because as he claims, Ten Hag would be all over him if he saw him in training), then why don't you show it if you think you are that good? Also being a snitch doesn't help the locker room atmosphere and toxicity comes and settles leading to the Portuguese players vs English vs whatever.

Sure De Gea isn't as good as he was and needs replacing but he still is miles better of Henderson either in gk attributes or mentally stronger

Olecurls99

Just get your head down, impress the new manager possibly sit on the bench at the start of the season lose any hope of going to the world cup in 3 months.

Basically feck your short career that we have already stalled for you, the club that broke promises with regards to playing time last season is going to make those same promises this season and we expect you to believe us again.

Would you potentially waste another season of your short career and compleatly foregoe any chance of going to the upcoming world cup on a 50/50 chance of the new manager picking you over the highest paid GK in the world? Or would you take guaranteed first team football in the PL and put yourself in the Frame for that world cup?
Yeah fair enough. Do all that and then shut up. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

TrustInJanuzaj

Do you honestly think this would have happened in the last game?
I think it contributes yes. We have literally had to abandon playing out from the back because our current keeper is incapable of doing it. If we had an Ederson we would be playing a higher line and would be much more proactive at keeping possession. That would feed into our overall control over the game and therefore our ability to play through the press to create chances. The days of a keeper merely being there for the odd spectacular save are over, now they play a massive role in contributing to a teams style of play. City and Liverpool simply wouldn’t function with De Gea in their nets.

TrustInJanuzaj

You keep repeating this over and over. Inferior just because he can't play from the back? Man give your head a shake. Henderson as far as good he is he isn't strong mentally and he showed it by choosing to leave on loan on the first chance even before he met with Ten Hag (because as he claims, Ten Hag would be all over him if he saw him in training), then why don't you show it if you think you are that good? Also being a snitch doesn't help the locker room atmosphere and toxicity comes and settles leading to the Portuguese players vs English vs whatever.

Sure De Gea isn't as good as he was and needs replacing but he still is miles better of Henderson either in gk attributes or mentally stronger
Disagree I’m afraid. How you can praise De Geas mentality is beyond me. He’s a fecking coward who lay on the ground to let Arsenal score only last season. It’s selective memory season for De Gea fans it’s seems.

Idxomer

I think it contributes yes. We have literally had to abandon playing out from the back because our current keeper is incapable of doing it. If we had an Ederson we would be playing a higher line and would be much more proactive at keeping possession. That would feed into our overall control over the game and therefore our ability to play through the press to create chances. The days of a keeper merely being there for the odd spectacular save are over, now they play a massive role in contributing to a teams style of play. City and Liverpool simply wouldn’t function with De Gea in their nets.
But this style doesn't favour Henderson either, his passing from the back isn't good and his kicking technique is just shit.

sepulturite

Yeh fair point about the world cup, hadn't thought of that. But I still think he should've stayed, as I said the management that made those promises on playing time are gone now, and as I said as well if he was really that confident in his own ability as much as he makes out in interviews then he must've believed he could displace De Gea no?

Anyway he's not here now, and he's not doing well enough at forest to go to world cup currently anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TrustInJanuzaj

But this style doesn't favour Henderson either, his passing from the back isn't good and his kicking technique is just shit.
I think he’s better at those elements than De Gea even though it’s far from perfect. If nothing else he actually isn’t a coward so he will trust in his ball playing abilities more. That alone would make a big difference. Anyway I don’t need to speculate I saw the difference between the two when Hendo got a run in the first team and we looked far more solid and better at playing out from the back in that period.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He isn't very good at it, although probably slightly better than De Gea. Importantly though he does try to act as a sweeper which does help the defence maintain a higher line as there isn't as much space for an attacker to run into. Also one thing that can't be disputed is that he is good at distributing with his throws. Obviously that doesn't help from goal kicks or back passes, but when he gets in in his hands he instantly gets his head up and is looking everywhere to see if he can launch a counter-attack.

Oranges038

That's not it at all. He cost them that game yesterday because he couldn't make a decent save when they were 2 up and another at 2-1.

De Gea saves both of them
No way of knowing that.

The defending for 2 of those 3 goals was shocking.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
No defence suits Henderson because he is blatantly average. Ten Hag made the choice like every manager before him yet we still have fans pretend Henderson is any good at playing the ball out himself because that’s all they have.
I disagree with this.

Ten Hag let Henderson leave because he wanted to leave and Ten Hag doesn’t want to keep someone who wants to leave in the squad.

If it was the other way around he would have given him a chance and tested him in preseason liked happened with Bailly, wan Bissaka, Shaw, and who ever else is on the bench or allowed to leave.

CarbonStoolBites

Henderson is not a good enough keeper to be the number 1 at Man United, he’s good enough for plenty of PL sides probably.
He’s not all there in the head which I sort of like, Victor Valdez vibes.
Hope he has a good season so we could get a decent fee for him in the summer.

cyberman

I disagree with this.

Ten Hag let Henderson leave because he wanted to leave and Ten Hag doesn’t want to keep someone who wants to leave in the squad.

If it was the other way around he would have given him a chance and tested him in preseason liked happened with Bailly, wan Bissaka, Shaw, and who ever else is on the bench or allowed to leave.
If Ten hag wanted to keep him he’s still be here now. There’s literally nothing else that suggests otherwise. Martial is the prime example, he was relieved to leave Utd when he did and didn’t want to come back but Ten Hag talked him around.
A lot of anybody but David are trying their best to sidestep that, plus his actual mistakes in the pitch, which comes across as disingenuous

Red_toad

Which choice was that?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Ten hag wanted to keep him he’s still be here now. There’s literally nothing else that suggests otherwise. Martial is the prime example, he was relieved to leave Utd when he did and didn’t want to come back but Ten Hag talked him around.
A lot of anybody but David are trying their best to sidestep that, plus his actual mistakes in the pitch, which comes across as disingenuous
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-united-henderson-ten-hag-24655074.amp

"No," he told talkSPORT when asked if he talked with the manager about the move. "I didn't really want the manager to come in and be able to see me in training because I knew he'd probably want to keep me.

"So I tried to do it all before I left for the season, I told all the hierarchy I need to go and play football. I don't want to be here playing second fiddle. And it panned out so I was almost gone before the manager came in the door and I haven't spoken to him since."

I guess see it however you see it.

WirralRed

It is quite mad, Henderson is average at all aspects of goalkeeping but because he’s a gobshite people actually buy into his self proclaimed hype.

De Gea may be well past his best and he definitely needs to be replaced, but we’d be worse off starting Henderson every week.
Agreed, I think a lot of it is down to people being fed up of De Gea and wanting a new keeper, grass is always greener kind of thing. Plus a lot of our fans on here like any chance to shit on out club or players for some reason.

OrcaFat

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...chester-united-henderson-ten-hag-24655074.amp

"No," he told talkSPORT when asked if he talked with the manager about the move. "I didn't really want the manager to come in and be able to see me in training because I knew he'd probably want to keep me.

"So I tried to do it all before I left for the season, I told all the hierarchy I need to go and play football. I don't want to be here playing second fiddle. And it panned out so I was almost gone before the manager came in the door and I haven't spoken to him since."

I guess see it however you see it.
He knew that even a new manager would see he just isn’t as good as De Gea and he knew he would be on the bench again. He knows he is not as good as De Gea.

JB7

Literally every goalkeeper in the league stops that free kick. The major difference is the majority of them don’t position themselves poorly in the first instance & have to take 2 steps across as the taker is running up to the ball so they aren’t set and need to fly across the goal to stop it. It’s well struck but nowhere near the corner & it’s a basic stop if the keeper is well positioned initially.

Rockets Redglare

Do you have any stats to back this up? Because if what @TrustInJanuzaj says is true, stats wise utd did better with Hendo in goal.
He’s played a handful of times for United, you could easily pick out stats to favour an argument for either player.

I’m not saying that De Gea is the answer because I do think we should have replaced him, but I also don’t think Henderson is good enough and it would be a sidewards move rather than someone who Ten Hag actually wants.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He’s played a handful of times for United, you could easily pick out stats to favour an argument for either player.

I’m not saying that De Gea is the answer because I do think we should have replaced him, but I also don’t think Henderson is good enough and it would be a sidewards move rather than someone who Ten Hag actually wants.
But previously you said Henderson is worse than DDG despite stats saying otherwise when he played for us during the season when we finished 2nd. We also looked far more comfortable defensively with him in the goal, unlike the case with DDG where we look nervy af.

Olecurls99

No way of knowing that.

The defending for 2 of those 3 goals was shocking.
I can't think of a single goal De Gea has conceded that was like that first goal. The second goal wasn't even that powerful a shot. His reactions are just far better than Henderson

Oranges038

I can't think of a single goal De Gea has conceded that was like that first goal. The second goal wasn't even that powerful a shot. His reactions are just far better than Henderson
Aye, aside from the ones he lets roll under his body.

Second one takes a massive deflection.

Third one is shocking defending.

Not many keepers are saving 2 out of 3 there.

Karlos PFC

Disagree I’m afraid. How you can praise De Geas mentality is beyond me. He’s a fecking coward who lay on the ground to let Arsenal score only last season. It’s selective memory season for De Gea fans it’s seems.
Sorry but last year between the two, De Gea acted as a captain by showing on interviews and telling it as it is, about how shite we were and the other preferred to talk to his buddies in the press behind his managers and teammates back and contributing to the sick atmosphere.

Also last year we've had 3 different managers all of who chose De Gea over Henderson, for the exact reason noone played Van De Beek, or Bailly, or any other sweetheart of the Caf. I don’t know how you think that Henderson is better than De Gea, even for the building from the back thing, De Gea worked great with Van Gaal who is notoriously known for his obsession with holding possession at all costs and not risking long balls

Olecurls99

Aye, aside from the ones he lets roll under his body.

Second one takes a massive deflection.

Third one is shocking defending.

Not many keepers are saving 2 out of 3 there.
It would help if he didn't shrink himself when shots are flying at him. Not good enough at all for me. De Gea ain't great right now but he's better than this big head.

Lyng

Literally every goalkeeper in the league stops that free kick. The major difference is the majority of them don’t position themselves poorly in the first instance & have to take 2 steps across as the taker is running up to the ball so they aren’t set and need to fly across the goal to stop it. It’s well struck but nowhere near the corner & it’s a basic stop if the keeper is well positioned initially.
No they don't. And it's extremely funny to hear an advocate for Dean talk about positioning in goal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't see why people are still arguing about De Gea versus Henderson. That's over and De Gea won out, so the comparison isn't really relevant any more. He won't be displacing De Gea.

The question is what happens when De Gea leaves, hopefully this summer. Would you want to give Henderson another chance as #1? Or would you want to spend money to sign someone else? So the relevant comparison is Henderson versus all goalkeepers who could likely be available. Within the PL for example, how does he compare to the likes of Sanchez, Raya, Meslier, etc?

And that's assuming bridges haven't been burned between us and Henderson anyway, which may well be the case. Because if they have then it's just a question of how much we can sell him for.