Decades Draft Tournament : Cutch vs Gio

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I went out to one who seemed to be drunk.
:lol: act cool and not seems to care is recipe for draft success, it seems.

I do wonder how many voters read those arguments. Valuable tip from Antohan is, to make sure your posts/opinions are on the top of every page.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'll reiterate the reasons why Cutch will struggle to score:

Unbeatable defence
  • Only Maldini matches up to Facchetti in the history of left-backs and he will surely do a job on Rummenige
  • Vierchowod is the man that Maradona, Lineker, Zola and Van Basten all hated to come up against, their most feared opponent, and is as good a choice as any to quell Messi.
  • Backing him up though is the greatest defender of all time, Franco Baresi.
  • On the right the greatest right-back England has ever produced will cancel out Stoichkov.
  • Anyone gets through all of that (yeah right) and we've got Gianluigi Buffon to offer yet another layer of impenetrability.
  • As a unit there are 4 Italians in the back 5.
  • The pace of the defence is unreal: Facchetti and Vierchowod were incredibly fast, as was Baresi, and his marshalling of the defence means we can play as high a line as we see fit, forcing Cutch onto the back foot and pressuring his own, weaker, defence.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Well, that has shot my tip to pieces. :lol:

The last couple of posts are the only thing that has happened while the score went from 10-7 to 14-8.

antohan

Gio's side is very well set up to take on upgrades. With some luck, he could get Ronaldo upfront (swap Buffon for Lloris), Charles moves to Vierchowod's slot and Platini comes in instead of Hagi. Swap flanks for Mazzola and Boniek and that would take some beating: Mazzola-Facchetti and Platini-Boniek assisting Ronaldo :eek:

Cutch has the advantage of being able to pick two at the same time so is guaranteed to pull off the required move. He needs a RB and the top 70s ones are available, problem being both his CBs are 70s. So he needs a 40s or 30s CB. A pretty fecking good one is knocking about :drool:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well set up but perhaps I over-compensated in future-proofing the team. Thought it was necessary to get in the top 30/40s boys early doors to stand a good chance of winning the thing, but maybe at too costly a price when facing a top team in the first round.

antohan

Harsh on Charles and Facchetti in particular, they are your only hope out there. It is Hagi and Essien who are costing you. If anything, you underestimated how crap the 80s were for players relative to the 30s/40s.

You did get a bad draw though. The entire sieve seems to be leaving here and I don't think it's anything to do with bad drafting but horrendous matchups for each of them with your rivals aided by brainfarts (Fergus starting and persisting with Amancio, EDogen starting a narrow formation with Busquets, you picking three 30s players).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Gio

Your defense is awesome, but then Nesta and Ayala are not that bad either. Alba might be the weak link for Vutch, but then I'm equally unconvinced by Essien in comparison to the other players on the pitch. I think Essien/David's combo may not be that effective for you to attack the weak link in Alba. At best your team can hope for a 0-0 draw, but with Messi on the pitch, it is hard to bet against! Very good team,but having a proper DM might have helped you better.

antohan

Aldo, this looks dead and buried. Any chance we can have the draw done now with CutchGio as an option? I'm fed up of trying to work out who to draft without knowing who I'm playing!!!!!!! :wenger:

Moby

Dick
I want the same but I was thinking of asking everyone of what they would like to go for. I mean the choice between having the draw before or after making the reinforcements.

antohan

It absolutely has to be before, there's already enough twists and turns in accommodating the decades rule to also have no visibility on who you are playing but, in particular, what could be available next (not that I'm very good at predicting, I got half the results wrong!!!!).

antohan

Just to be more precise: I don't think anyone will engage in "picking so the rival doesn't get him" as it's too complicated already. My main worry is that you leave more dependent on the luck of the draw with regards to how much some sides can reinforce in the next round. You could find one semifinal side having been tied up in knots by the options while another just handily got the right players available.

If at least all managers started from a level playing field in terms of being able to pick this time while able to try project what would happen in the next round then whoever is tied up in knots only has himself to blame for it. There's also the interesting aspect of striking a balance between instant improvement or future-proofing, which is usually one of the most interesting and mind-boggling considerations in drafting.

Moby

Dick
Aye the luck factor was in my mind as well, just think it's better to allow us to have all the information before making the decision of who to pick. I've asked TITO, he'll respond any time now.

antohan

For the sake of Theon's sanity I hope he gets Brwned, his pick would be a no-brainer then. I fear he may spontaneously combust otherwise :lol:

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Just to be more precise: I don't think anyone will engage in "picking so the rival doesn't get him" as it's too complicated already. My main worry is that you leave more dependent on the luck of the draw with regards to how much some sides can reinforce in the next round. You could find one semifinal side having been tied up in knots by the options while another just handily got the right players available.

If at least all managers started from a level playing field in terms of being able to pick this time while able to try project what would happen in the next round then whoever is tied up in knots only has himself to blame for it. There's also the interesting aspect of striking a balance between instant improvement or future-proofing, which is usually one of the most interesting and mind-boggling considerations in drafting.

I think the picking him so a rival (or next opponent) doesn't, could possibly happen, it's difficult to work just one player into the team so people may just write off the second one and take the best player available so no one else can get him.

Moby

Dick
For the sake of Theon's sanity I hope he gets Brwned, his pick would be a no-brainer then. I fear he may spontaneously combust otherwise :lol:
You do realize that there is a different scheme in reinforcements this time out and there will be a third mini draft before the semis? :D

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think it's more fun if we pick without knowing who we're playing.

Moby

Dick
I think it's more fun if we pick without knowing who we're playing.
It is but it can turn into a right cluster feck of a mess. As anto pointed out there is already the huge decade headache to take care of so I'm in the favour of having a little more knowledge for this one. This way we can also tell off people for losing by their own mistakes and not because of bad luck. :D

If everyone really wants that way we can have that in the draft before the semis, that is the draw after the picks are made.

antohan

I think the picking him so a rival (or next opponent) doesn't, could possibly happen, it's difficult to work just one player into the team so people may just write off the second one and take the best player available so no one else can get him.
To some extent yes, but look at how the top side of the table teams have fared with all their top range stars? Functional teams win games more than individual stars. With the level of players knocking about, stars are far less important than players out of their depth or unpopular/unknown. I expect a major raid on sorting out fullbacks and some may need to make two moves to do it (e.g. Cutch picking Figueroa so a 70s slot is freed up for a RB to replace Suurbier, instant upgrade in both positions and decade compliant). That is far more important to Cutch than getting a star name elsewhere on the pitch.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to take Matthaus without losing Hierro or Desailly, which I guess I can't :lol:

antohan

You do realize that there is a different scheme in reinforcements this time out and there will be a third mini draft before the semis? :D
Exactly, SO MANY OPTIONS! He will fry his brain if we are not careful :lol:

Shame I'm playing, he is pure comedy when he goes into overdrive and produces about 20 different options even after agreeing the 2nd or 3rd one was best. Love it, it's like he is living the dream. :D

antohan

It is but it can turn into a right cluster feck of a mess. As anto pointed out there is already the huge decade headache to take care of so I'm in the favour of having a little more knowledge for this one. This way we can also tell off people for losing by their own mistakes and not because of bad luck. :D

If everyone really wants that way we can have that in the draft before the semis, that is the draw after the picks are made.
Since you only pick one player from the beaten team afterwards I would argue it would be even more relevant then.

I would actually prefer opacity now than then. You can go about this picking round in the dark knowing you could get yourself in a pickle, but the two eventual finalists getting a pick from their beaten rival without having had any visibility in advance could significantly skew the final. At that stage teams would be very functional and being able to pick and play a top tier star can have a huge impact.

i.e. if we are to do any drafting in the dark I would rather it is now and not in the next one.

Moby

Dick
We should just have the draw now IMO. I want to have a balance there between luck and strategizing so I'd reckon that knowing your opponent before would provide that. Also it can make things trickier if you look at it closely. If you don't know who you are facing you just shore up your weaknesses, but if you do know who you are facing and whether he is picking before or after you, many new factors arise.

I much prefer it this way, we had it like this last time as well and it was quite nice.

antohan

Yes, there's more room for constructing long shot moves which may or may not pay off and that's primarily where the fun is.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Exactly, SO MANY OPTIONS! He will fry his brain if we are not careful :lol:

Shame I'm playing, he is pure comedy when he goes into overdrive and produces about 20 different options even after agreeing the 2nd or 3rd one was best. Love it, it's like he is living the dream. :D
:lol:

I thought I was going to miss the pick because I was supposed to be going away for a few days, but thankfully I can do it now :D

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Harsh on Charles and Facchetti in particular, they are your only hope out there. It is Hagi and Essien who are costing you. If anything, you underestimated how crap the 80s were for players relative to the 30s/40s.

You did get a bad draw though. The entire sieve seems to be leaving here and I don't think it's anything to do with bad drafting but horrendous matchups for each of them with your rivals aided by brainfarts (Fergus starting and persisting with Amancio, EDogen starting a narrow formation with Busquets, you picking three 30s players).
Yeah without researching it at the outset of the draft, I thought 80s filler would be superior vote-winning fare than 30s nobodies: the worst case scenario was some obscure 30s left-back up against Garrincha or Best. And the Corbatta feck-up was the nail in the coffin against as impressive an opponent as Cutch - his classic wing wizardry against Alba was key to the whole game-plan.

antohan

Yeah without researching it at the outset of the draft, I thought 80s filler would be superior vote-winning fare than 30s nobodies: the worst case scenario was some obscure 30s left-back up against Garrincha or Best. And the Corbatta feck-up was the nail in the coffin against as impressive an opponent as Cutch - his classic wing wizardry against Alba was key to the whole game-plan.
Well, had you noticed you were out of 30s picks I reckon you would have gone Mazzola and played them swapped around with Boniek. That would have completely changed the game, no doubt. What happened? Did you have Armfield down as 40s? I did until I started reading through your profiles in more depth.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well, had you noticed you were out of 30s picks I reckon you would have gone Mazzola and played them swapped around with Boniek. That would have completely changed the game, no doubt. What happened? Did you have Armfield down as 40s? I did until I started reading through your profiles in more depth.
I wasn't keeping a proper tab on things and just presumed I needed another 30s pick.